My Fuses keep blowing. Help!

I am just merrily quilting along and my machine turns off. I check cords etc, change the fuse, she is going again. I quilt a few minutes and here she goes again. What is going on? Can anyone help? Of course it is Saturday. I checked all the obvious, powerbar, cord plugged in, breakers etc. it is only my machine, not my lights or computer etc.

What is going on?

Oh no...that is so frustrating. I don't know what the problem would be but if it happened to me I would start at the beginning and give it a good clean first. Then since you heard noise in the bobbin area i would take off the needle and thread and just see if it runs okay like that. Maybe the needle is slipping to low into the bobbin area and causing the fuse to blow????

I hope it is just something simple!!

Thank you all. My machine is clean, I just doublechecked to make sure, but Friday is my "clean up" day, so all maintenance was done proper. I have been quilting since 0500 this morning, maybe she is overworked? hahaha Her way of telling me it is time for a break?

Just finished the Quilt, and the fuse seems to be holding. I talked to my hubby and he suggests that it is possible to get a bad batch of fuses, well, i put in the spare from APQS and we will see. I best get buying some more on Monday. But, if this one blows, I'll call it quits until I get someone from service on the phone.

Thanks again.

One of the UK ladies had to change fuses after a bobbin jam up. I'm guessing the motor was straining and blew the fuses in her case. Give the bobbin area a really good clean, oil and run with the needle unthreaded for a while - check for microscopic threads that could be stuck. Failing that???

btw - the 3A fuses we got to replace the blown ones were time delay so they don't trip at the tiniest thing. They came from Maplin in UK - I expect you have a similar shop. Don't bother trying an electrical store - they think you are crazy asking for spare parts. Nowadays you are expected to buy a new appliance before buying a new fuse!

Hi Monika

When the machine first blew a fuse, did you know why? Maybe cloth got jammed in the hook assembly when you were cleaning - lots of us have done that. If there was no warning, check your plug, does it have a fuse, have the wires come loose in the plug and are touching each other. (I could be way off with this but I remember the plugs when I lived in Britain, they weren't sealed and it was easy to have the brown and blue wires come loose and touch).

Did you replace the first fuse with the spare or one you bought from the shop - I'm thinking it might not be the slow blow type.

Before you turn the machine on again, rotate the thumbwheel until the needle is in the up position.

If it blows again, I think you will have to wait until the weekend is over.

Good luck

sue in australia

Thank you Linzi and Sue. The fuse actually blew just out of the blue, there was nothing jamming, obstructing, etc. I had just cleaned Baby the night before and was quilting for hours already when it happened.

After the 4th fuse, I put in the spare from APQS and quilted 2 more Quilts last night, so maybe the fuses I has which are 3.15A from an Automotive Supply were a bad batch? It happens. So I am keeping fingers crossed that she will be fine today as I have a few more Quilts I want to get done. In any event I will call Tech Support in the am and discuss this with them.

Thanks again everyone.

Monika - this happened to me and it turned out I had the right size fuse, it just didn't have enough amps. Be doubly sure you have the right fuse. I'll bet you anything you just don't have enough ampherage there.

Linda

I think you are so right Linda, it never occurred to me that with the SR I need a bigger amperage. I had 3.15A from my previous Freedom without the S/R and kept blowing those, I think that with the S/R there is a much bigger draw and I bet they are 6.3A. I have a call in to Amy as I just can't find the size in my manual.

Since I put in the spare that came with my new machine, everything is fine, have done 5 Quilts with it now an never more a problem (crossing fingers eyes and toes).

Archived