Customer is your quilt guild

My guild is having their quilt show in 2010 and I was asked to quilt the raffle quilt. I just found out that someone in the guild thinks that our members who are long arm quilters should not charge the guild for the quilting. It should be donated. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I have had my longarm business for 3 1/2 years and everyone in the guild know this, so it is not a hobby.

Sharon D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quilt for my guild. I charge my E to E pantograph price and "give" them a custom quilted quilt. I always label my quilts so the recipient and everyone that sees it along the way knows the quilter. Most of these quilts are for a donation or raffle for a worthwile cause and exhibited in public locations. This "pricing" was my best solution/compromise. I wanted to be able to advertise my custom quilting and they couldn't afford my custom price, so we both come out happy with this method. Our Guild is very loosly organized, no dues, no formal meetings, no Robert's rules, no officers, Yeah! On these occasions when we need to pay for a service or to pay for a group class, we divide the cost of quilting by the number of members who want to participate and that's what each member pays. Simple!

I quilted the guild's raffle qult this past year. They asked for a custom job and got it. I assumed that I was going to quilt this for free..but the guild offered to pay me as they had the money and no longer felt that it was right to ask for free quilting.

I put together a bill and they gladly paid it. When all was said and done...a few ladies got very upset about it. My bill included the quilting at .025 cpi, batting and 3 yards of fabric that was used for the sashing. Not to mention that I spent 2 nights piecing the blocks togehter into the top and buiilding the backing (which was pieced with leftover blocks) for this large queen size quilt. I only charged them $221.

Needless to say, I quit the guild. Those ladies no longer speak to me in regards to any quilting. In fact, they are very upset and have mentioned to others how much the quilt cost the guild and how are they ever going to recoupe the money for the quilt from the raffle.

In past years...we have raised $1200-2000 per raffle quilt...and they were only lap sized. I see no problem in recouping the money spent on this one. Did I mention that the 30 + members pay over $100 per year in dues! For what was my question!!

I agree that you should be paid for your time in quilting the raffle quilt. The guild will make the money back.

Kristina,

So sad to hear of your awful experience. They can think what they want, would they have done it for free? Wonder how the shoe would fit them! Lets hope for too tight shoes at minimum. I wish guilds could remember that this is supposed to be FUN, and friendly. That doesn't sound very friendly at all.

Yikes..Kristina I too would have quit...and said good riddens to bad rubish...

Sharon...you shouldn't do anything you feel uncomfortable about doing..as its already been said, if you choose to do it for free its your choice.

Personally I would maybe give a cut rate, but then depending on the guild and the coffers, I might just charge my normal rate. Each group will be different, but DON'T ever let someone take from you something you aren't willing to give freely.

I have learnt to ignore comments that start with 'someone in the guild is unhappy.....". And I have been much happier for it! WIth 80 members in our guild someone is always going to be unhappy and until they come to me with the problem there is nothing I can do.

I am fortunate that I have never encountered this problem.

My guild has been paying me to quilt their raffle quilts long before I purchased my longarm. They also paid me to quilt any quilts the guild donated to another group that wanted to use one for a raffle. I have quilted many guild charity quilts for free, probably more than most members.

The solution to this issue might be what we did and that was have someone make a motion. This was more for me to know which ones to charge for.

We had a member make a motion that I would get paid to quilt the guilds raffle quilts, it was seconded...all in favor ( all hands went up), all opposed ( no hands) CARRIED. DONE.

I definitely give the guild a deal on my quilting as I am a member and that makes me feel good.

Don't let this person get you down. They don't see the big picture....if a quilt is quilted beautifully it will sell more tickets therefore covering the cost of the quilting.

Kristina--you made a good move there! See my last paragraph--same thing happened to me except in full public view. Luckily I had an answer for the ones who think you should work for nothin'! :)

My Guild budgets the quilting charge when they piece the quilt. They determine the size of the finished quilt and budget about 2.5 an inch. The Guild I belong to is large and well-funded so it is easier to charge because of the financial situation.

If you want to do the quilting, fill out your intake sheet at full price for the style/density of quilting and work from there. Then you can discount whatever you want--either a fixed amount off the full price, or a percentage discount. Get full price for all material/thread/batting since they can't expect you to provide all that.

I give a nice percentage discount to my Guild if they ask me to quilt the raffle quilt, but it has never been expected nor offered for the quilting to be donated.

(Now, with that all said, I was approached by the resident "quilt policewoman" of our Guild--you know, the one who knows everything, has done it all, and isn't afraid to loudly boss everyone.;) She usually starts a sentence with "You should..." Anyway, she expressed that "of course" I would be donating my quilting services to the Guild for the raffle quilt as we were chatting in a big group. I replied with a sweet smile that this quilting job was worth $350 and if she could prove to me that over the course of the year she had donated a similar amount in goods/services to the Guild, I would be happy to donate the quilting. Her mouth snapped shut and she quickly turned and left. I was glad the brain was working that night!:P)

I really like the fact that Kathy's guild made a motion and the entire guild voted. That publicly sets the standard for anyone who comes after her and works on the raffle quilt. I concur with the others who have posted - do/charge what feels right to you and what you can afford to do. Don't be guilted into a decision that makes you feel cheated.

Kristina, you are such a kind soul, I hate that you had a situation where you had to leave the guild. It's certainly the guild's loss.

Lynn

Linda R...where were you when this happened to me.

And thanks Lynn, I am much happier without the guild. My friends are here on this forum...and I do have a couple of friends still who are part of the guild...we just do not discuss guild issues.

Sharon...it should certainly be your choice to charge or not to charge. Do not feel pressured into quilting for free. It is your business and they know that. Do you get free haircuts from another guild member who owns a salon, just because you belong to the guild? I bet not! :)

Ladies,

Thanks for all the words of wisdom. Linda, I really liked your comment about having the other lady prove she donated a similar amount in goods/services. My guild is 50ish members and most of them give alot to charity projects etc. I guess I will just have to do what feels right and hopefully I won't end up being a quilter without a guild. ;)

Sharon

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

And I have no one to argue with except myelf! :P

Kristina...you have an Elf? Where'd you get him?? I want one;):P:D;):P:D

I quilted my guilds raffle quilt this year. It was huge and I charged them accordingly for tons of SID and feathers. Then I discounted by 20%, but when all was said and done, they still owed me a fortune. I haven't heard any negatives about it, but I think the real test will be when this year's quilt is completed.

On the good side, our quilt won Best in Division at our fair, so that was a feather in my cap.

There's no reason to quilt for free...unless its something you want to do.

I was the first person to machine quilt our guilds raffle quilt last winter. To me it was very nerve wracking and I sweated over this quilt for months just deciding how to quilt it.

I charged them a flat fee, $100.00, not nearly what the quilting would have cost. My friend was very vocal in telling anyone who asked how much the quilting would have been! $300-$400. she stated! I figured that this quilt would give my business a lot of exposure.

Below is a picture of the finished quilt. Our guild has a large savings account and membership. The quilt received raves at the Oakes Show earlier this month where they were selling tickets.

URL=http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2235134100103203089iAWytA]2235134100103203089S600x600Q85.jpgURL]

Dory...I am not telling you where I got my elf! That is for me to know...and nobody else to find out. :P:D:):P

Meany.....I just want an elf for housework...you can keep your quilting elf. But should mine do double duty, I won't turn him/her into the elf union....:P

I would probably turn it around and ask them would you work for ($2.50/hr)? or whatever amount they are complaining about... I'll bet not.

I made a great barn jacket a few years back... looks like a Ralph Lauren style. A "friend" wanted me to make her one when she knew it cost me (fabric alone) around $35. I told her sure I would, but the price was $125.00... needless to say, she doesn't have a copy of my unique jacket....

Charge what you want, make sure they know how many hours and the material cost you have into it, then if you want to donate half or all, that's up to you... I always let people know what the actual cost is that is involved...

Try typing 'myself' rather quickly and see if the elf appears. That's how I got one! :P

I know that elf, and man she is lazzzzzzzzzzzzzzy at times....can't build a fire under her today...so though maybe you had a really really close kept secret, and so I was all prepared to fire her bootie. Guess I'm stuck with what I have, but you can't blame me for trying.:P:P

Archived