How do pick which classes MQX? DECIDED!

Just supposing I maybe decided to book for MQX... how on earth do I decide which classes to do? I have studied the catalogue... it is difficult to know whether to go for short lecture/demos or full on hands on. Maybe the classes would be too basic or not!! Some of the classes take place all at the same time. Need to allow time for the show as well. Registration launches at 12pm EST... HELP!

Can't someone just send me their schedule and I'll copy it so I don't have to make any decisions at all?!:P

I'm coming to MQX!!!

I feel your pain, that has always been an issue with me as well. There is just so much to do.

The hands on fill up first usually so if there is a certain teacher you wish to meet or take from then start there. Demo/lectures are great and I choose those by a techqnic I need to get better with. Good luck I know its not easy.

I feel your pain. This is going to be my first MQX. There are many classes that I would like to take but you're correct they seem to be at the same times. There also needs to be time to shop, shop, shop!!! So many things so little time:(:cool:

Linzi,

I would concentrate on those things that you really want to perfect and find classes that meet that need. Like Bonnie said the hands on classes fill super quick so look at those first. Also I'd recommend that you give yourself a break between classes and don't take too many. I've seen plenty of zombies leaving class. LOL you brain can only take in so much in a day and after sitting in a chair for 2 hours you need to get out and move around. I'd suggest 2 a day at most. I like to take 1 a day and then shop and look around. I also will be a teachers Angel a couple of times.

I've been to MQX 2x and have my hotel reg, for this one. I've taken hands on and lectures, most the the teachers give wonderful handouts. I have learned that I don't do well in the hands on classes, I freeze up and get frustrated with waiting for a turn, machines that I'm not familiar with or machines that are not set up properly. I don't take a hands on any more unless I really want that skill, I prefer to do the drawing and take lots of photos of the teacher's work.

Heidi is right about the over stimulated brain drain that you get from taking too many classes, I did that the first year and you get too much info and lose some of it!

Linzi it would be so nice to meet you in person I hope that you come over the pond!

Sent you a U2U!

I'm just dithering over making a decision about which venue to come to in the USA next year... I usually go on jaunts with a quilting travel chum so she also needs to decide.

There are so many USA events I would love to go to including Houston, the APQS rep rally, Sisters etc etc

But MQX may be the easiest one for us to get flights to from Scotland - question is - do I have to decide now/today??!!

Classwise - I hate feathers and maybe I should just concentrate on what I do well and not angst about what I think I should do. I want to run Longarm classes myself in the UK so need to think about that too. The full moon must have zapped my decsion making capabilities.

YUP!! I will definitely be there Tues-Sat for classes. Now what do I hear about Keepsake Quilting? Do I fly to New York or Boston? Oh - what fun!! I'm coming with my Scottish quilt travel chum, Ellen - we are thinking of doing a mini road trip. I am SO excited. I'd better do lots of work and finish a rather large project involving a yurt... does anyone want to help?!

Linzi,

Fly into Boston. New York is much further away and then there's Connecticut to drive through. Boston is an hour. As for Keepsake Quilting... personally I wouldn't make the trip. I don't find them particularly helpful or friendly. But if you'll drive that far there are some wonderful options available to you in Massachusetts and Connecticut. There are several on the Cape including Heartbeat Quilts (www.heartbeatquilts.com) Quilter's Stash in Noth Attleboro Massachusetts, Emma's Quilt Cupboard in Franklin Massachusetts. The Cape is an hour or so, the other two are 30 minutes and under. There's also Quilter's Dream Quilt Shop in Willimantic Connecticut which would be around an hour.

Good Luck and hope to see you there

antoinette

And MQX will be adding a show on the West Coast, in October 2011. I am twenty minutes from MQX East so the West will be out of the question for me. But those of you who don't join us here will have something to look forward to. I will be there most of the week as well. Hope we can set something up as time gets closer.

Originally posted by dancing bear

much confusion ... what is MQX? M is? Q is? X is?

Where? When?

what is MQS? M is ? Q is ? S is?

where? when?

head hurts from scratching ...

MQX = Machine Quilters Exposition April 12th - 17th 2010 Providence, Rhode Island.

MQS = Machine Quilters Showcase May 12th - 15th 2010 Overland Park, Kansas

Originally posted by Antoinette

Laurie, I can't find Allston on any of my maps but we're about 45 minutes south of Cambridge. Leaving Providence on I95 we're the first town in Massachusetts. Are you planning a trip this direction or originally from here?

Allston is just across the river from Harvard/Cambridge. My daughter is living there while going to school. I will be visiting her the day I head down to Providence and again when I leave Providence on Saturday since I am flying in and out of Boston. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get from Boston to Providence and back.

Thanks for all the quilt shop info - keep it coming! Looks like flights to Boston then - but I've never been to NY. Would I not like to drive thru CT? Maybe I should fly into one and out the other?

Dory - the quilted yurt exhibition for next May... instead of canvas roof and walls, it will be entirely made from quilted panels in tweeds, shot cottons, dyed bits, gold lame and stuff ... and have not done nearly enough work on it - keep getting distracted!

Archived