Installing Edgerider Wheels - Done and Fabulous!

Okay, here I am as I knew I would be. I'm almost done installation and then noticed some posts about the rear carrieage wheel (with encoder) needs 3 washers between wheel and encoder. So I took that wheel off and added the washer, but now must raise my encoder wheel.

So, I loosened the screws and the thing won't budge. Did anyone else have this happen? What did you do? The other encoder wheel moved fine. I now have the whole encoder off and the little screws completely out. I can move it about 1/8" but need to move it more.

Please help!

Well, I think I managed a workaround. Instead of the encoder wheel sitting in the middle of the the Edgerider wheel I positioned it farther away from the Edgerider wheel and have the rubber of the encoder wheel resting on the bottom edge (lip) of the Edgerider wheel without bending too much. The encoder wheel turns nicely when the wheels move and the Stitch Regulator seems to work. I hope this is a solution that will work in the long run.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Amy about any ideas as to why my encoder wheel won't move up or down.

But I can offer some insights into the installation at this point:

Four 1 3/4" bolts and four 1 1/2" bolts were supplied, but the instructions specify the use of 5 of the longer bolts (rear left of head and all 4 lower carriage bolts). However, the lower rear left carriage (the one with the encoder only) does not need a longer bolt, so use a 1 1/2" one instead and you'll have enough.

As someone suggested in a previous post - the lower carriage left (again, the one with the encoder only) need 3 washers (not two as per instructions) under the wheel - I can't believe the difference that made in the smoothness of the ride! I had installed 2 washers the first go round and it dragged a bit - especially near the back.

You need to set aside the 2 wheels with the drilled holes for the channel sprocket wheel. It says to do this in the instructions, but if you forget and use one of those wheels in a different spot you will have some dissassembling to do!

The channel sprocket wheel screws require an allen wrench to remove (not a 'small screwdriver' as per instructions).

After removing the solenoid as per instructions, I still had to take apart the 'T' pin to free the area so that I could exchange the bolt. It doesn't say to do this in the instructions, but there didn't seem to be another way. You need a tiny screwdriver to do this and don't lose the tiny screw!

For Circle Lord adjustments, I removed the added 'nut' spacers (supplied by CL) from the front two wheels and the back wheel bar that I added when raising my machine for the CL, but I left on the addtional 3 washers that I added for the CL. In other words, my front two wheels have 4 washers on the top of the wheel and the back wheel bar has 3 washers between the bar and the carriage.

I hope this helps out others!

In the meantime, it seems that I'm gliding along very nicely now, but the real test will come when I put up a quilt. I'll post another message in a few days and let you know!

Hi Heidi. Yes, I had the two screws completely out and was trying to pry it up with a screwdriver! My hubby stopped me in my tracks - thought I would break it. He tried himself and we even tried adding some WD40. He thinks that there is a bump or scratch on the post preventing it from moving. I can move it about 1/8" but that was not enough.

Jessica - you might try adding the extra washer and see if makes a difference. When I had only the two on, it seemed okay too, but when I added the third I noticed a difference (better). Fortunately it is a wheel without the channel lock so it is an easy one to change. You will probably need to slide your encoder wheel up a touch to get it back in the middle again..

If you do decide to switch it, let us know how it comes out.

Here is the post where I read about the additional washer (from Patty):

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=19191

Caroline,

So the third washer made a difference? Hmm, I may need to go ahead and put another washer on. And your encoder works fine even though its not in the middle of the wheel? I was afraid that would be a problem. I pulled and pulled on that encoder and could not get it to raise any higher.

Jessica

Sorry I haven't been on the forum much lately. Hubby had back surgery and is supposed to be discharged today. I have been at the hospital most of the time.

Yes, sometimes the wheel is harder to move and at those times I make sure the set screws are loose and gently pry the wheel up with a screwdriver. You should have 3 washers between the encoder and the ER wheel. If the encoder wheel is not exactly in the center of the ER wheel, it shouldn't be a problem as long as it is making good contact with the wheel so that you don't get any slippage. In the past when my encoder wheel started to wear, I have moved it intentionally off center so that it makes better contact with the wheel and this prevented the slippage and long stitches that I would get.

I will be away again today until we get to come home! You can reach me on my cell if needed. 850-502-0272

Thanks Patty. I'm afraid my encoder wheel won't budge no matter what. I had the entire encoder box off the frame so I can look at it better and took the screws out and tried to raise it with a screwdriver (not so gently I might add). I really think there is something wrong with the post. I've got a note in to APQS, but right now I am making good contact with the wheel. I sure hope it never wears out though because I would have to get a new encoder box I think. Right now it is resting on the lip of the Edgerider wheel - not even close to being centered.

However, my machine glides really nicely with the Edgeriders. I'm putting a quilt on tonight and can't wait to see it 'live'.

So.. I put up a quilt today and am absolutely thrilled with my Edgeriders!!! I'm just doing an all over free-hand pattern - something I call 'elongated swirls', but the control is fabulous! This is a customer quilt and is for charity so I didn't want to do something I hadn't tried before.

Installation was a bit of a hassle, BUT IT WAS WORTH IT! (It is a distant memory now anyway :D).

Jessica - have you talked to Patty yet? I would certainly add that extra washer. Also, my SR works fine - as Patty said above - as long as it makes good contact with the wheel. I lost the computer cable for my camera and have ordered another one. When I get it I will take a picture and post it for you (if I can figure that out).

And Sheri - I can't thank you enough for your pictures, I was actually using them on Monday when doing the installation. I only got stuck with my one encoder, so that one looks different than yours, but it works fine... And that really doesn't have anything to do with the Edgeriders - it was like that before too.

I can't wait to put up a practise quilt and try to do some custom stuff. I would love to be able to SID and echo around applique. I was thinking of putting up a piece of fabric with large florals and try to trace them. So far everytime I've tried that the outcome looks like I'm about 4 years old!

I am happy happy happy! :P:P

Next on the list? Micro Drive handles of course! Then my list is complete...

Caroline,

So happy for you that you stuck with it and got your new Edgeriders working properly! I don't have them, (yet) but they are on my list too! Silly girl, don't you know that there will always be fabulous new things to come out and be added to the list? Enjoy your new ride and post a pic for us when you are through!

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

Archived