Quilt completed -- How would you quilt a bow tie?

Help, I'm just really not sure how to quilt this one. Should I do a panto? and if so which would be a good one? or go custom? I'm not sure about thread color either, this one just isn't talking to me and I've got to start quiting by Friday.

2776725850105224826S600x600Q85.jpg

2472527760105224826S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks!

Finished and delivered!! Customer was thrilled and loved the double plume pattern. This is my second panto so I'm rather pleased with the out come too. :D

2400027990105224826S500x500Q85.jpg

2430651560105224826S500x500Q85.jpg

I like Sheri's Baptist fan Idea.

The quilt seams busy, so custom work may not show as well.

If you are wanting to do a panto, Have you seen "Feather Me" from Golden Threads? I use it often.

It has a nice scale to it and you can work through it rather quickly.

Another choice would be to just Freehand Feather It. Have fun, Let Loose and let the feathers just happen.

(that's what I do when I just need to let go;))

As for thread color, You could use any color in the quilt really. Looks like Red is the "Background" color, so maybe start there. A nice tan would work just as well. Pull out some thread. The quilt will tell you which one is right.

Have fun with this one. And don't forget to let us see the finished quilt.

Happy Quilting!!!

Laura

I've got the thread down to 2 different reds and one tanish color.

I'll pull out some feather pantos tonight and see if one is similar to the "Feather Me" from Golden Threads, I'm new so just starting my panto collections. I do like the Baptist Fan idea too but not sure I could do it without the circle rulers, those are on my Christmas list for Santa!

Thanks!

Cheri,

I have seen these done both with panto's and custom. It depends on the look you are wanting. I saw one that was done with feathers in the bow area and cc's in the knot and it was gorgeous. This one is very busy and I don't know that it would really even show. It would be a great quilt to practice SID on though since you ooopsies wouldn't show! BF would look nice too. I really don't think you could go wrong. Just do whatever you want and have fun.

Cheri,

This is a really pretty quilt. I have a book with a bow tie quilt -- it has leaves and loops quilted in the four 'bows' around each 'tie' square. It looks great. I also see hexagons in the piecing pattern that you could use for a motif of some sort, and then just SID or outline the 'tie' squares.

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies - Thank you for all your help and ideas! Customer decided to go with a panto, which I have only 4 of but fixed that problem with a wonderful order last week! lol :P Happy Merry Christmas to me! :P Anyway, the double plume was the best of what I had and she was happy enough that she paid more than I requested, I think I need to keep this woman happy! lol ;)

Archived