storing threads

Previous post regarding thread and humidity got me thinking . How do you store your threads? I have a studio that is at least 60degrees when I am not there . Right now with winter, it is rather dry. I store the thread in a cupboard. And after investing a chunk of change on these threads I kinda hate to ruin them.

Vicki R

It takes a bit of time and age to make thread go bad, and because we don't really know how old thread is when we buy it, your question is one of importance.

There are serveral methods I have heard about...keeping it in the freezer when your not using it, was really popular in the past...did it work it seemed to, but was it the answer...I don't think.

I keep it covered and enclosed in plastic bins or plastic bags... or just hanging on the wall...

You are right you don't want it to go south that is for sure but I have some spools that are over 10 years old and are still good so I have to honestly say I took mine out of the freezer, need the space, and its been awhile for me to have a spool so bad.

I also keep mine in an enclosed plastic bin with deep drawers. I don't just throw it in there though, I keep each spool standing up so that they don't damage the other spools and they don't get dusty or any direct sunlight on them. My studio is also in a walkout basement that is cool much of the time. Like Bonnie, I wouldn't worry about the age unless you start having lots of breakage when trying to use it. Then try some sewers aid and if all else fails and you know it is very old - then get yourself a new spool...:)

I'm the same. I keep each spool in its original plastic wrap and then in plastic roller drawers. It did look pretty on the wall, but it is the lifeblood of my quilting business, so I take care of it. At least in the bins I can get my color fix by arranging each thread type and cool/warm colors in different drawer...:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Hi Vicki,

I keep threads in a plastic roll around cart near my frame. I have the drawers labeled. I primarily use Superior threads, so it's easy to label each drawer. "King Tut" (with some Perma Core, and Signature thrown into the mix). "So-Fine" and "Bottom Line" and my newest thread "LAVA" I don't have a lot of thread for frame quilting as I've found if I can get one or two color ways of some of the threads, I've pretty much covered my bases for colors.

(Dark blue, med. blue. light blue. Dk. green, med. green. light green, etc, etc.)

I used to keep ALL my thread out. In the sewing room on wall thread racks. I loved seeing all the colors. However, last time I emptied the room to paint ( a long time ago now---it needs it again)----much to my disgust I found a lot of lint and dust had collected on a lot of the cones and spools. I was probably running that stuff through my machines and not really paying attention. Some of the spools and cones were not getting used as often as others and those really were dusty.

I decided to not put up the thread racks again---and that is when I moved every thread I own to plastic drawers or thread bins. I do keep out some of my serger threads near the serger. They are way under a shelf and I keep a thin cloth over them to keep the dust off. I don't have many serger threads.

I was dusting some window ledges in the sewing room today, and the baseboards and I'm alway totally blown away by the crude that accumulates on those surfaces, and I'm glad it's not on my threads anymore.

I used an air compressor to blow off all my threads before I put them away in the drawers after we painted a few years ago. (yuk!) sneeze-cough!

It would be nice to have a glass front cabinet to store threads. I do miss seeing what I have out in open. Instead I have thread cards out with red check marks on the side to let me know what colors I do own.

I just bought several of these prefab drawer units at the Home Depot. They fit nice and neatly under my machine and the long ones hold my Quiltazoid's attachments, as well as my block patterns, etc. The others hold my thread organized by Lava, SoFine, Bottomline, Genziana/Aurifil, Swirls, Maxilok, and miscellaneous other threads. I used to have them in a open cabinet and on the wall and found it very disorganized and my thread always had a coat of dust on it. This is much neater for me.

post--13461902993482_thumb.jpg

I to loved the look of the thread hanging on the walls until my original APQS rep said it was a bad idea (lint, dust, sun, etc). I now have my quilting thread stored in drawers under my table, just like quiltlover's pic. I also have my embroidery thread in plastic boxes with lids.

I also have drawers that I keep my threads in. I also keep them in their original plastic packages. (Superior thread) The drawers are tight mesh and don't let in much, if any light, so that takes care of the fading problem.

Dust, sun, lint, other things flying around in the air are problems for any kind of fabric or thread, etc. Sun, both from the standpoint of fading and also breaking down the fibers. The other stuff, from the standpoint that I don't want to put dirty thread in my or my customers quilts.

Wow Monika,

I love the storage drawers you have. That looks so nice and the storage must be extensive. Thanks for sharing.

I have a rolling plastic bin with drawers but I am going to have to move it because the sun shines right on it and I don't think that will do the thread any good.

Charlotte

Two years ago we remodeled the outside of our house, and in the process added all new windows. My DH assures me that the windows will not allow things to fade in the sunlight, so no need to worry about my open threads (several thread racks on the wall) or fabrics. So far, I haven't seen any fading, but am wondering if anyone else with those new protective windows has?

Also, I love my threads and like to see them. So I have them on thread racks and each spool is covered. I used to by those individual covers by Superior, but found that Baggies original sandwich bags are large enough for the 6000 cones and can tuck in neatly in the bottom allowing it to sit on the thread rack securly and are much cheaper! The covers do get dusty though. I haven't learned how to prevent that :) But...I'm wondering if I made a huge vinyl cover, with corners at the top, to cover the threads, would that work? It would be easy to dust off with a feather duster - or blow off.

Monica - The drawers really look nice!

Bonnie - I was happy to hear that after 10 years, many of your threads were still good. This gives me hope - since I only do charity, friends and myself, I don't go through thread like you guys do. Thanks for sharing that!

Debbie in Austin

I have all my large cones of threads on thread racks on the wall, Each covered with a plastic bag or the original superior cover and then I have a quilt hanging over the whole rack.

Lovely quilt to look at and easily lifted up to access threads.

Small spools are in airtight plastic containers that my husband made 2 levels of thread trays in. Each can hold 100 small(100yd) of 50 (500 yd) spools.

I do not get direct sunlight into my studio, just lots of natural light.

Lyn

Originally posted by dgroby

Two years ago we remodeled the outside of our house, and in the process added all new windows. My DH assures me that the windows will not allow things to fade in the sunlight, so no need to worry about my open threads (several thread racks on the wall) or fabrics. So far, I haven't seen any fading, but am wondering if anyone else with those new protective windows has?

We have windows with Low-emittance (Low-E) coating, which may be what you have. Do a Google search to read about it. I'm not sure but I think some lightbulbs can also cause things to fade - perhaps the daylight bulbs?

I keep all of my thread in plastic storage units to protect them from dust and light. Darn! I wish the Low-E windows would keep the dust out too! :P

Archived