Quilt block ideas needed

I have just accepted the co-chair position of my guild for our summer quilt. It is our 25th anniversary this year and my co-chair and I would love to do a block that has something to do with that. Like maybe a block with anniversary in the name or something. We haven't been able to find any blocks like that, but I can't help but think there must be one out there somewhere.

Ideas appreaciated.

Thanks.

Hi Sheila--what fun and an honor too!

Instead of blocks that say 25th anniversary, how about fabric with silver on it (you know, Silver anniversary!) With Christmas close-out fabrics on sale now, maybe you can find some not-too-Christmas-y silvery fabric on sale. Or buy some pretty mottled fabric in several colors and either stamp or paint it with silver. Then pass it out for block piecing.

Just a thought!

I just did a search in EQ6 of all of the blocks, looking for any with "anniversary" in the name and the search returned one block with the name Anniversary Star. I'm attaching a copy of the block so you can see what it looks like.

Regarding the fabric, I like the idea of silver for a 25 year anniversary. If you are looking for something shiny you might consider Fairy Frost from Michael Miller.

post--1346190306683_thumb.png

Linda and Kristina you reminded me that I forgot to mention that our summer quilt is always scrappy. We pick colors or pattern of fabric such as red and tan or flowers or... you get the idea and then people pull from their stash to make the blocks. So, unfortunately, your ideas of fabric, while great, won't work.

Thanks, Carmen. I kind of like that block and it is not too hard. Since we only have 6 months to get it pieced and quilted, it can't be anything too hard.

Usually someone volunteers to head the quilt about a year in advance. Last summer, my schedule just wouldn't allow me to even think of it and I actually wouldn't have taken it on alone now, but a very close friend decided we could make a duo of it. So here we are.

I'll still take other ideas, however, as I would like to have more than one to show to my co-chair.

Shelia, why not use the same block and you could still do a scrap quilt block, but why not have, say the silver fariy frost , or what ever you find that fits the sliver theme you are trying to achieve, as a constant fabric in each block. The ladies could each take say a fat quarter and then add their own fabrics from there. Just the thought that came to my mind.

A few years ago, our guild picked out and voted on as a group, a block that we use as our logo.. We all made name tags out of that block, it is on our guild membership card, any corespondence we send out. It looks very nice. Looks very professional.

Sheri,

I actually like your blue and white idea with silver thread, it would be stunning.

The guild members wouldn't believe it as I have never done anything blue! I'm more of an autumn color girl. Golds, Oranges, Greens, Browns or 'country' colors. :D Of course, I wouldn't want to win the quilt, as it wouldn't go in my house at all!!

But we will be considering doing it that way. Thanks all.

Sheila

Marsha McCloskey's book, Block Party by Rodale Press, on page 72 has a block called 'Memory Lane.' The piecing looks simple enough for most quilters, with a little bit of challenge. There is a sawtooth star in the center and corn-and-beans patches in the corners. The pattern is such that when blocks are placed together, a diagonal latticework forms. Marsha includes four different value shading options for different looks.

I think lone stars make striking anniversary quilts. You could do a lone star in the center, surrounded by 25 individual star blocks of each guild member's choosing.

Archived