Need opinions on Embroidery Machines...

My husband came home from work today with a business proposition his boss made for me. DH works for a small, local company and the owner is trying to save some money by having me embroider their company logo on all the employee uniforms and other random items such as jackets, caps, bags, etc.

He is willing to buy the embroidery machine as long as I can provide the thread and the time it takes to embroider the items as they come in. In return, the machine would be free range for me to use as much as I'd like and for whatever other projects I'd like to (such as quilt labels for customers!)

I checked into machines about a year ago but they were all over my budget and I really wasn't sure what to look for. Now that I don't really have a budget(but hubby did tell boss they could cost anywhere from $2000-6000 and he was fine with that) I'm just not sure where to begin. I've only ever owned Pfaff sewing machines so I'm tempted to stay with that brand but am willing to explore other options.

So, I need opinions and advice! If you use an embroidery machine, what kind do you use? Also, I would need to be sure I get a machine where I can upload the company logo and I need something that can do various types of fabrics - anywhere from cotton shirts to canvas bags or quilted jackets.

sorry this got so long but I just don't know where to begin! thanks for all your help! ;)

I have a Babylock 6 needle that I really like. (The new upgrade is even better) If you are going to do caps, you need something like this because it is too hard to do with a regular embroidery machine. Ask me how I know. I also have a Babylock Ellegante and could not do hats with it. The 6 needle has a cap hoop that goes on a cylinder that makes it much easier to do. (still a pain IMO)

Sounds like a wonderful deal to me. You will need software to do the logo that you are wanting to do.

The Babylock 6 needle and the Brother 6 needle are made by the same company, just sold by different dealers...BOTH are great machines and both have a software that is EASY to work. I use to teach PE Design when I was in Reno, so if you get that and needed help I would be at least an email away if you didn't have support locally.

Janome also has an Embroidery machine...haven't any idea of cost compared to the other two, but the stitches I've seen are fab.

I personally have a 12 needle Toyota, and for the cost to do it all over again, I would so go for either the Babylock or Brother....their down time is nothing compared to this one that I have. I'm still having trouble getting someone out here to service it, THEY are to big to take in, where as the Babylock or Brother you can pick up and get to a fixit person should something go wrong.

NOW do you need more than 6-8 needles...for simple logos you should NEVER need more than that. I would highly recommend either of the Babylock or Brother. But also would want you to try it out before buying...it may not be the machine you like as we all have a different need or want.

Ashley

I would talk to Dory to see what her husband uses for his business. there are a lot of good machines out there but the ones we commonly use are not industrial type machines and not really made for that even though they may do the job. Ii have even heard that it can void the warranty depending on how much use they get. The machines do have an internal log of how much it is used so it might be something you would want to think about before making a choice. Just a suggesion and word of caution to check, better safe than sorry.;)

Hi Ashley-Wow, what a deal! Not that I'm trying to put a negative twist on such a great sounding offer, but I'd be sure I get the unlimited use and possession part of this deal in writing. Seems like when something is as great as this sounds, there's always a wrench thrown in the works somewhere. After experiencing "life" for as many years as I have, a person gets a little gun shy when something sounds too good to be true, often it is! That said, I will add a couple of comments and thoughts about my experience with embroidery machines. I have wanted a truly professional embroidery machine for years, they are more in the $10,000.00 ro $15,000 and up price category when I researched a few years ago. I have used Viking/Husqvarna home sewing machines since I was an adult and discovered that a sewing machine could actually sew straight without continually fighting it to do so. I have slowly upgraded over the years and finally was able to purchase a Designer SE a couple of years ago. It is an incredible machine! There are "things" about it's performance that I wish were different. The newer machines, from nearly any of the major manufacturers now offer much larger hoop sizes than my SE is capable of stitching. If you are going to be Embroidering jacket backs with very large designs, this will probably need to be a major consideration. Multiple hooping takes a lot of experience and time in order to achieve professional results, both of which makes it more expensive for you in the long run. I have seen a cap hoop for this type of machine, I don't know how practical that accessory is since I don't embroider caps. To me the major consideration for your project is the software necessary to Digitize and Download your company Logo. Your customer, the boss could pay to have the company logo professionally digitized, even saved in the most common sizes you will need for the various items, you will be embellishing. Then you'd be off the hook for the design integrity and accuracte depiction of the company logo. Digitizing can be a real bear, again depending on your software, experience digitizing and complexity of the logo. I've digitized my own designs for years and for a project like this, I'd advise having the design professionally digitized and not having to mess with it. Any upper-end embroidery machine should have the capability of resizing the design to some degree, maybe 10% larger or smaller without requiring additional software to accomplish that task and without having the design either too dense or too sparse. Digitizing Software can run anywhere from a couple hundred to several thousand dollars, regrettably the easier it is to lean and use, usually the more expense. There's going to be a pretty steep learning curve with a project like this, be prepared. You won't just sit down and stitch pretty logos. There are so many factors to learn, and be able to combine to achieve success for your husband's boss; fabric type, thread type, stabilizers as well as machines and software. My friend and favorite customer has a lovely Pfaff machine. If I was buying a new machine today, I think I'd look very seriously at that brand, although Viking has recently partnered with Pfaff. The machines are still unique to each brand, the software file types seem pretty interchangable, but she has some really cool built-in stitches that my machine doesn't have and the new Vikings don't feature either. Best of Luck! I sure hope this business deal works out for you.

I have a friend who has the following embroidery machine for sale: (your husband's boss might be interested in purchasing for this adventure)

it is a brother pr699 II - it has the upgrade kit for the pr620

it is a about 3 years old but stayed in the box for 1 year and now only has about 5 hours embroidery time on it

it has everything you can imagine including stand and hat attachment

asking $7500

WOW, thats a deal , wish I could come up with that deal. Seriously, you can go with a 15 thread embroidery machine that has or can get a digitizer software.

From: "Melco Embroidery Systems" <Melco_Embroidery_Systems@mail.vresp.com>

To: <busybees@centurytel.net>

Subject: Year End Savings... Financing Avaliable!

Date: Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:08 AM

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/537f95fce6]

Year End Savings... Financing Available!

Get Started in the Embroidery Business with Melco. Easy Financing!

Embroidery Machine Packages

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/411e871eb5/s=50]

Starting At $195/mo (USA Only)

MelcoJet Direct To Garment Printers

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/4781f48335/s=50]

Starting At $295/mo (USA Only)

(Includes FREE LiveDesigner Print Website)

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/1ed89bcd6b]

LiveDesigner Suite Websites

Special Offer! (USA Only) Please click here for more information.

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/0d60e7f996]

FREE TRAINING! (USA Only)

For a limited time, receive training at your location

for FREE with all AMAYA XT packages that include

DesignShop V9

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/1a5217bb79/s=43]

Software.

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/e67b9b7000]

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/752fdd77e8/s=35]

Did You Know:

Even in tough economic times, apparel personalization

continues to grow as customers look to get the most for

their money. Individuals or companies ordering smaller

quantities is your key to earn big revenue.

Example:

You can embroider a dozen baseball caps with a corporate logo in less

than one hour with a Melco AMAYA XT

embroidery machine.

Baseball Cap - $18/dozen = $1.50 ea

You Charge - $180/dozen = $15 ea

Your Time = One Hour

Dollar Per Hour Earned = $180

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/914882a873/s=72]

REFURBISHED EMBROIDERY MACHINES AS LOW AS $6,500!

Call for availability. Limited quantity, limited time only. These

great deals won't last. Call today for more details!

Network Opportunity!

Follow Melco on Facebook! Also visit www.mymelcoworld.com

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/f6ae27fba5]

and join our growing online community of embroidery & print

professionals.

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/0b76b9f079]

Visit www.melco.com

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/4202c59f54]

Call 800.799.8313

[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MelcoEmbroiderySyste/87deb01f00/0ab9f15df0/9417a95b8c]

Melco Embroidery Systems

1575 W 124th Ave

Westminster, Colorado 80234

US

This is what I got in my email.

Personally my cousin has one and loves it.

Melco is one. Brother has some but not sure how reliable they are with commercial use. If its for business home embroidery machines are not up to it.

Hope this helps. You can get a used one for around 6000.00 just ask

Wow, what a idea to consider. I have the regular Pfaff 2140 upgraded to 2170 with the embroidery unit. If I had my druthers, I would go ahead to get the new Pfaff CV. It has a large hoop that would let you do jacket backs but would need to be turned around for the second half. I would never get another home style without the ability to basic sew, and especially with the dual feed.

I also have the full 4D software. It is pretty easy to learn how it works and I have been able to do a bit of creative work with it. Also have had it used to digitize our church ladies' logo. I know the new Pfaff has a usb port on it that you can use a stick to transfer designs with.

As for the many needle varieties, I have no knowledge on them. Good luck with the research. It might be something that you would be able to use as further income with sales to others too.

Good advice from Bonnie. I haven't seen the Brother/Babylock 6 needle machines run, but have heard good things about them...from being affordable to serviceable, and training/support is probably a lot easier to get locally than the larger commercial machines. They probably run faster than single needle machines also. The multi-needle/commercial machines aren't plug and play by any means, so local support is a plus. I have a 16 needle Melco and have had no problems with it...a work horse...but eventually when I do, work will come to a complete halt and there isn't local service. Fortunately I'm perfectly comfortable with doing my own repairs with online support. The machines are only part of the cost...when you add the cost of the software (design and os software), commercial machines can quickly get out of range. BUT...most commercial manufacturers now have smaller and/or more affordable models...so check them out too.

When you're deciding, do take into account the design size (in stitches) and how fast a machine can stitch it out. You'd hate to have to babysit a machine for hours to get one item stitched. Advertising for the machines will include stitches per minute...which will give the best case, but not quite reality. For best results, I run mine about 80% speed (others run full throttle)...just because it can run at the advertised speed doesn't mean it's runs perfectly at those speeds. Stitches per minute will at least give a basis for comparison and deciding what is really necessary.

Sounds like a good opportunity...you never know where it might lead you from there!

Good luck...

anita

I have the Janome Memory Craft 10000 upgraded to 100001. It does not handle caps very well. It's also tough to wrestle clothing on it. It's really nice for quilt labels and small pieces of fabric. I think you'll need something more industrial.

When I was buying I got demos from the 2 dealers around me, Bernina and Janome. I liked this model because it was easy to use. I shopped for a bargain on line. I bought mine on ebay from a lady in Florida who wasn't using it. It was a real bargain (at 1 yr old it was about 1/2 new price) and I've always been happy about the purchase.

Before you buy, find out what you'll need in software to be able to download your own designs. That surprised me. I had to buy 2 expensive software packages, a card and a card reader to digitize designs and transfer them from my computer to the embroidery machine.

The main embroidery shop here has about 6 and they are all Brother. I guess she had good luck with the Brother and stuck with that brand as her business grew. I think that is a testimony in itself. Bonnie would be a wonderful resource for you as well. I have a Brother embroidery machine but it is a domestic not a commercial but it is a wonderful machine - very smooth and well made. All the advice given above is valuable as all these ladies give good advice. Good luck to you and be aware you may be so busy with the company stuff there may be no time for your own embroidery.;)

wow, I had no idea there were so many options available. I like the idea of the Brother or Babylock 6 needle but those may be out of the price range. I'm heading to our local shops on Monday to see what I can price out. I'm pretty sure there's not a Brother dealer here so I would probably want to go with something I can get serviced locally(if needed).

Thank you all for the opinions and suggestions! DH's boss would like some details on prices and machines by Friday so I've got a few more days to see what I can come up with!

~Ashley~

A 1 needle machine won't make it for a business. I have the Brother PR-600II and just bought the newer Brother PR-650 both are 6 needle machines. I love, love them both. They are easy to use and can handle the majority of embroidery jobs. I use Brother's PE-Design software which is also very easy to use. PE-Designs auto digitizing does a great job also. The PR-650 has the large cap frame which is very important if you're planning on doing caps. The only downfall to an embroidery business is that it's very timely and you might end up not having time to quilt. You have to stablize, place and hoop each item then unhoop and remove extra stablizer. Thread and stabilizers are not cheap. If the company buys the machine, ask how much they plan on paying you for the items. Are they providing the clothing/hats or do you have to buy the "blanks"? Would they pay to have the logos digitized (can be over $100 per logo). You can get some free designs but most designs are bought check out www.emblibrary.com or Dakota Collectables. Embroidery is expensive no matter what, so you might end up loosing money. I hated the prices for embroidery (high) before I started it, I soon realized why they charge those crazy prices. Anyway, I won't take up space on here. Be careful, I live in Virginia Beach, VA and you're welcome to call or email me anytime.

Archived