Hartley work table and extended base on Milli

Does any have an opinion on the Hartley work table for a Millennium? I was wondering if anyone likes it? It looks very useful to slide on the rollers to hold scissors and pins, etc. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an extended base that they like on a Milli with the tread cutter? Thanks for any pros and cons on these two tools.

Kerri

APQS Milli

I have both. I only use the work table for putting on a pattern and using the laser light from the front. I find it gets in my way otherwise. I have the base and love it. I believe the base is like everything else a personal preference. I have only had the Hartley base, so I don't have anything to compare it to!!!

I have the Hartley Base Expander, but have trouble with it catching my ruler. I just finished a quilt that was all ruler work. The base was a pain. I had to frog many times because it would hit the uneven place, jerk the ruler and put a nasty wiggle in my otherwise straight line.

I think I'm going to look into the Ruler Mate.

I have the work table and the base I would not give up either one. Here is a hit the rulers catching on the base. There are 2 washers in each of the 4 screws. Each washes is a different thickness, one thinner that the other. Add another thin one to each screw and your base will be level and work like a dream . Easy on and easy off.

Thanks for all the replys! The Hartley work table is on the APQS website under Hartley Accessories. It's a clear tray size table with two bars that curve at the end to sit on two roller bars. They have a picture, so you can see what it looks like. I think it would be handy to hold scissors and pins, etc.

Kerri

I have both the base and the table. Since I have no experience with any other base I can't comment on differences but the Hartley base works OK for me. And I have the work table and find it very useful. I keep pins, bobbins, seam ripper, and other supplies on it so they are beside me and handy. I usually remove it when I roll the quilt and then put it back on the table after rolling. I think someone mentioned once they used the plexiglass table that gones around their DSM because it was long enough to reach between the rollers.

Thankyou Myrna for the tip about the washers on the base - mine is not quite level but I have still managed to use it successfully. I do find it catches on underneath threads when, for example, you have to drag threads across applique when doing cross hatching. Once I sense the machine is hesitating for a split second, I gently push up the quilt from underneath to loosen the caught thread. I suppose the best thing would be to tie off each time, but that would be very time consuming!

For a work table, I've just found that an upturned lid from a large plastic storage box fits across my rollers perfectly.

Shelley

I also have the rulermate and i like it. i have hung a hook on the front and back of lola for scissors and i got a magnetic pin dish for pins. when im pinning - i sit the dish on a roller and remove it when i sew. i wear an apron and keep my seam ripper and tweezers and all that jazz there. about the tray - if you have to take it off everytime you advance the quilt - that may be a PITA. one more thing to remember! or in my case, probably forget~!

There is a newer version of the Hartley base expander which covers up twice as much space in the needle plate area, and greatly reduces any ruler wobble. It is also 3-1/4" wider on the right side, creating a 12" x 15" stable ruler work space, which is great. I bought mine in 2009 and recommend it.

I don't think I explained my question very well. Can you set the Hartley Work Table on the rollers, set the stencil on top of the Hartley work table and use the laser to following the stencil pattern sitting on the work table and quilt that stencil? Hope this makes more sense. Thanks...Mercedes

I have both the Hartley Fence and the Rulermate. I love,love, love my rulermate and it stays on my machine. I've not taken it off since I bought it. I had the same problem with wobbling others have mentioned. I'm going to check those washers and see if that fixes the problem. I would like to be able to use both. The Hartley is larger but the rulermate is more stable on my Milli.

Archived