these wheels are going to drive me craaaazy!

I don't know if the rest of you have a problem with keeping your wheels aligned but mine are going to drive me crazy! We spent many hours last week getting my machine in top running order...and that lasted about one day. I could feel the head started to drag again so I turned it off and walked away for about 1/2 hr. Went back, turned it on and the drag was gone. My hubby said that little motor on the back was causing it to seize up. today the drag was so bad I couldn't push the machine even 2 inches. I'd cleaned the track with alcohol, checked to make sure there were no threads wrapped around the wheels or for anything else causing it to be slow..nothing. I adjusted the wheels a bit and now it's moving a bit better but I can't adjust it so that the machine glides real smooth. So I'm wondering, why don't we have wheels that are better than this, that don't need to be adjusted all the time? I use to have the Super Quilted which had teflon wheels and those things glided wonderfully!

If I ever do get these wheels aligned properly will they stay that way or is it normal to have to be adjusting them all the time?

Rita

Rita, I adjusted mine the day my machine arrived and other than cleaning the tracks haven't looked back.

Sounds like your horizontal/vertical locks are engaged. But if adjusting the wheels loosened it up then that's not it. Whenever you have an issue, don't hesitate to call your rep or APQS for guidance. That's what they are there for.

What does your DH mean by the motor seizing up? Does he mean the channel locks maybe? Even if they are off, could they be somehow engaging? Maybe as you move the carriage, go to the back and make sure the channel lock is out (by holding the bottom and pulling out). This is just a hunch, but it might be that there is something with the magnet?

I would definately contact APQS as soon as you can for some real advice.

Rita,

If your dealer can't help you, I'd call APQS 1-800-426-7233. When a staffperson answers (probably Alison), tell her your problem. There is an annual training next week Monday-Wednesday, so you may not receive a response until later in the week, but perhaps Alison can find someone to call you back on their cell.

If you have been using the machine for 4 years, perhaps the wheels are worn and need replacing. It is not normal to have to readjust them frequently.

Hang in there -- someone will help you if you call.

Rita,

I have a Milli and had the black wheels for 2 1/2 years and didn't have to do much to keep them running smooth. it sounds to me like your table is more than likely your problem. Also make sure the cord is not getting stuck behind the wheel. You also might have a bad wheel. Check to make sure none of them are leaking. You really should be able to have that machine glide all the time!

i have the brown wheels, machine is 6 yrs old, and it glides really smoothly. i do not adjust my wheels and they are fine. The one time i did adjust my wheels, to bring in the encoder wheels due to long/skipped stitches, I did them too tight and it made my machine drag....

Hi Rita,

Do you have the older magnetic locks or the electronic ones?

When you adjust the wheels, how are you doing this? You need to use TWO wrenches at the same time; one to loosen the nut on the bottom and one to adjust the bolt on top. After adjusting, you then need to retighten the nut underneath. If you're only adjusting from on top, the wheel won't keep the adjustment. To put it simply:

Loosen underneath.

Adjust on top.

Tighten underneath, while holding the position of the bolt on top.

Do check your wheels to see if the bearings are bad in one of them. I suspect that if it's working well one day and then getting worse that it's not the bearings, but the way you're adjusting the wheels.

The manual gives good pictures and instructions on this.

Hi Everyone

It's been a few days since I posted my dilema with the wheels and have only just checked to see the responses.

I'm embarrassed to say that my hubby caused the problem with the wheels. He'd adjusted them but forgot to tighten one of the locking bolt and over time it caused the cam to turn...which caused the wheel to tighten up against the rail. When I "whined" :) about the drag and not being able to move the head he double checked his work and that's when he found what he'd done. So now it's moving freeling again and I'm a hppy quilter!!

But I am going to check for level again. I have the hydraulic lift on the machine which is on a carpet covered concrete floor, so I just took for granted that it would always stay level. But I will but a level on it tonight and check it.

Thanks for all your suggestions. This is such an awesome, helpful group!!

Rita

Archived