quilting Leather

Does anyone know anything about quilting on leather. Friend wants leather quilted together for small cushions for chairs. Does anyone know someone who does this? Can it be done? Never heard of quilting leather objects together, but there is a first time for everything.

Aprreciate any information anyone may have.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Cool idea!

Remember that we have high-speed industrial machines so you can do these things.

Also remember that the hopping foot can compress/scuff the leather--depending on what finish has been used on the leather. Try on a scrap first--you may need to raise the hopping foot. I assume this will just be decorative stitching.

Have you decided how to attach it to the leaders? Please journal all the steps do you can share when you finish.:)

OMG - I was hoping I would not have to even try this. But love all of the wonderful ideas. It is going to be a shimmery finished leather. Teflon tape sounds wonderful and raising the foot is a good idea. Will see if I can find a piece to practice on and still don't know how I will attach to zippers. Probably baste to fabric and then attach to zippers. Anyone else have any ideas. I am not adventerous and this sounds adventerous to me. Thanks for all of the input. The leather has not yet arrived. Maybe I will be lucky and it will get lost in the mail. He wants leather on both sides with polyester fill. Maybe the best way would be to quilt both pieces and then put fill inside of cushions. Will try to do samples.

Ferret, did you quilt with a batting or just decorative quilt the leather? Do I need a special needle or special thread? I am not a professional quilter - just a hobby. This is for my daughter's father-in-law.

Yeah, I am a scaredy cat.

Marilyn

what kind of thread would you use? The leather wouldn't wear out, but the thread would. I don't think I would use cotton thread. I don't see that project lasting more than a few years if people are sitting on them, the friction would wear off the thread pretty fast....all that work. It would be different if you wanted to quilt leather for something to wear, I would think.

Just thinking out loud.

I quilted a Sunbrella padded Hammock and used a heavy upholstery thread. It worked like a charm! Winding the bobbin was a pain because of the stiffness of the thread. And a bobbin did not go far. I just did two inch lines across and it looked cool! I did have to go a little bit slower because of the thickness but did not have to change my hopping foot.

I float leather, then I don't have to attach it to leaders at all. It's usually heavy enough to rest in place, but a light dusting of spray baste will hold any trickier bits. I used a backing and wadding under the leather. I've used 80/20 wadding, cotton wadding (a bit flat), poly, or two layers of 80/20. they all worked but do give different effects.

You will want to minimise the holes if this is going to get any significant wear after quilting. The holes weaken the leather. I used a finer needle and slightly longer stitches than I normally would. I would also use a more open pattern for a piece that was going to get a lot of use.

You can see some of the pieces I have done on my blog,

http://ferfab.blogspot.com/2009/08/foq-gallery-of-jokers-and-dragons.html

I really must get them into my portfolio. These are only intended to hang on the wall so are densely quilted.

Ferret

I quilted a small amount that was on a wall hanging. It was raw edge applique that had only been glued down. The customer wanted it edge stitched 1/8th inch in with monopoly. I saw the suede pieces on it and thought OMG! I just held my breath and tried it, and to my surprise, it worked very easily. I was amazed!

Archived