What am I doing wrong? HELP!!

I am working on a quilt that my customer wants to put in a show this spring. The batting is W&W (warm & White), and the backing is a flannel sheet. I am getting batting pokies on the back. She said she has been using flannel sheets for years and never had a problem. I took the needle down to a 3.5, and it's still poking. Should I load the batting upside down (to me)? I have it dimples up, pokies down.

HELP, I'm:( gonna cry!!:(:(

post--134619035553_thumb.jpg

Is the flannel back of nice quality? or loosely woven? Might be part of the problem if it is not high quality. It might also be discoloration showing and not batting. Some fabrics are only dyed so that the color does not evenly get through all the fabric. As the needle separates the fabric on the back...you may notice this.

She doesn't want to put any more money into the quilt! I suggested she use a different backing, but she said she's used flannel sheets forever and not had any problems. Could it be the bump in our needles?? Can I use a different needle? Like the Organ ones? I have some Singer 3.5, and I might give those a try. Just for laughs!!

Please don't assume this is your fault. That flannel sheet (loosely woven and not a good choice for a backer in spite of her "never having problems before") is probably the culprit. I have poked the pokies back in with a large needle on occasion, but there are too many here it looks like. Your batting is positioned correctly, you have replaced and down-sized the needle, the sandwich is not too tight on the rollers. There isn't much else it can be except the backer. Sorry for your problems.:o

If it is friction with the cotton thread that is pulling the batting pokies to the back, you might try some Sewer's Aid or spray silicone on the thread. Don't know if it would help, but it can';t hurt!

What are you using in the bobbin? Can you balance the tension a little differently?

I feel your pain. I posted the same problem over the weekend see thread "Needle size/thread snags/unpicking disaster" from the last few days. I have come to the conclusion that sometimes quilts are just like that. I can probably colour in with a marker pen but my backing is dark chocolate brown so a black pen will do but that blue you are using will be difficult to match. Good luck

Archived