Weekend Quilting Plans?

What's everyone going to work on this weekend? Do most of you get more quilting done during the week or on weekends?

I haven't even had the Millennium plugged in since June 9. This must be a record for me but I have a quilt loaded and ready to start. It had been so long since I quilted, I couldn't even remember how to work my Ipod! :P

I have about 20 quilts that will probably all get pantographs and if I could get 5 or 6 of those quilted by Sunday night, I'd be real happy!

Woo-Hoo Judy!

It is nice to take a break once in a while, I bet you find that you are rejuvenated & whip out those quilts in no time, good for you!!:D

Sherry & I will post pictures next week, we are off to the Sister's Quilt show, so that is what we are up too, how about everyone else??:)

Guest Linda S

I'm loading a Turning 20 this afternoon that will get a simple pantograph, then it's off to the SISTERS OUTDOOR QUILT SHOW!!! Will look for Linda and Sherry behind the Stitchin' Post. Then, when I get back, it's time to load up another enormous custom quilt. This one is for a guild member - it's her show quilt. (I can't believe I'm quilting for show now!! :P).

Linda

Told you so!:P It's been fun to watch you, Linda. You started out unsure of your quilting skill and have progressed to doing gorgeous work. I'm betting you're an inspiration to all the newbies, as well as some of us "oldies".

Judy, I hope you get all those quilts done.

I'm planning to watch my McTavishing DVDs and learn to do that. Then I plan to stitch up samples using the pocketguides I got from Darlene. I also have to finish putting the embroidery on my contest entry quilt. Over the next few weeks I hope to finish piecing and quilting 4 or 5 to take to the September craft shows. I have to go back to work on July 31 (YUCK) so I won't have much time to quilt then.

Linda, Linda, and Sherry; Have fun at Sisters. I hear it's great. Next summer we are planning to vacation in Colorado. I will have to come visit all of you gals.

My quilting has been on hold for about the last month. My daughter has been trying to get married for 3 years, but always gets cold feet. Somewhere around 4 - 6 weeks ago she started talking about marriage again, so we jumped on it. The wedding is August 5th - yes, I am an idiot!! All of this in addition to my new job, that I thought was part-time. Seems the other secretary fell out of her boat on the 4th and broke her shoulder. Guess who is now full-time. Anyway, adding to all of this mess - a customer called yesterday to see if his quilt is finished.....Quilt? What's a quilt?? Okay, I have been going at a fast pace for the past month, now I am working at warp speed. Soooo, I loaded his quilt this morning before I left for work, and plan to quilt it when I get home. It is an panto, so shouldn't be a big deal. Anyway, that is the plan.

Mary Beth

I too have been away from the machine while we had wood

floors installed. The floors look great but it was sure a chore

that altered our lifestyle. Even when we could come home

from the hotel(s), the place smelled of glue and we have

furniture stored in all the rooms that did not get wood. My

DSM was in the den behind the living room furniture and the

longarm room had the dining room furniture in it. I just got

that stuff moved out.

So I quilted a Just Can't Cut it last night. I used Deb's

dancing leaves on the borders, freehand the HST border and

outlined the scarecrows and turkeys. I also tried trapunto

for the first time. I put a piece on top of the scarecrow fabric

and quilted in some "stuffed" pumpkins. They look real

cool. :cool: Check out my blog for photos.

I saw a question here on the APQS forum about Aunt Sukie's

Choice block and and found the block online. I have already

purchased the fabric and plan to piece this week-end. Just

let me touch fabric, is all I ask....

Guest Linda S

Judy - good to see that you are back to quilting. I hope you're having a productive weekend. I just got back from the Quilt Show in Sisters. It was a wonderful experience, but I have to admit that I prefer to viewing quilts in air-conditioned comfort. It was so hot there! I saw Sherry Rogers-Harrison and (name removed) at the show.

Linda

I have had a productive first half of the weekend. Got one panto done last night and 1-1/2 done today. The one I'm working on now is "Rosie" from Willowleaf. It's a new one for me and I love it. If you haven't done it, and you like florals, this is a good one. Lots of quilting but goes quickly because it's one row . . kinda done like Divine Vine but not nearly so much work.

Linda, was it warmer than usual there for the show?

Jeri, good luck with getting the quilt done. I love having time to work on my own stuff.

I am working Fri - Mon Nights on 12 hr shift. 530pm ti 530am and while there I am Frogging almost an entire quilt.

I decided to use my CQ in the 1.5 sashing and I chose overlapping circles. Looked great from the front but when I turned it over the 1 inch circles showed the tie knot on each circle. I am taking every single one of the out. There are hundreds. I just did not like the knot and it didn't seem to want to poke thru the fabric and stay.

For my first time I did 1/4 inch apart Quarter Circles. in a section of my quilt and from the front they look awesome. When trying to do the opposite triangle I cannot get the circles going in the opposite direction to match up . I think I just approached this idea incorrectly from the start so I have only my inexperiece to blame. I went into it confident that I knew what I was doing but Hey apparently I don't. lol

I discovered that I didn't properly lock the ends well and when clipping the drag points I noticed that a few of them appeared to be coming unstitched so I am Frogging that area also. By the time I'm finished frogging only my blocks will remain and I will have to redo all my borders , sashings and area around the center motif. I'm alittle frustrated with myself but its a good lesson and I'll just put it behind me and begin again. This is night two and I'm not half way finished with all the frogging. It's a 104" quilt top.

I will have to take a new approach and it will probly come out better than I thought. At least I hope so. I don't want to stay GREEN BEHIND THE EARS forever!! lolol

Grammie

Have a great Weekend everyone.

Tammie: Sorry you're having to rip so much but most of us have done the same type thing. Sounds like you're learning from the experience so there's something positive to come from it. And . . what else would you be doing at work? :)

You've come so far .. you're not really green behind the ears. It just feels that way when you want to kick yourself for a mistake but I still have times like that. It's hard sometime when you think something will work perfectly and you have it all worked out in your head and somehow, it just doesn't work on the quilt.

Good luck!

Guest Linda S

LOL Grammie - I'm sorry you're having to do so much frogging. I too wonder if there will ever come a day that a quilt isn't a learning experience for me. Something usually happens on every one that makes me learn something new. Maybe that's why I love to quilt. It's never the same from quilt to quilt.

Judy - It was about 90 there today. I think it is generally quite hot at the show. Sisters vegetation is a bit different than what we're used to in Eugene. We have more rainforest type landscape here. Sisters is more high-desert. The trees are a bit scrubbier and it's dry and a bit dusty. A little hard to get out of the sun. It was a beautiful day though.

Linda

......it?s sunny, hot and worldchampionship of football/ socker here in Germany*lol*

Yesterday evening our german players have won the third place:D.

It?s a great event here in Germany - all over a huge party with millions of flags and a lot of fun and friendship!:cool::D

But I?ve finished two quilts of one customer - she sent me a box with 8 quilttops:cool:

Here is one of them.....for more pictures have a look at my webshot!

Enjoy the weekend...

Best wishes from over the ocean.....

Claudia

Claudia:

It's beautiful! Love the quilting you did. Heading over to your webshots page now . .

Thanks for sharing your pictures. It's always an inspiration to see what you're doing - especially when I'm bogged down here with pantos.

I am piecing a Paperweights quilt for my daughter and at night, putting my

feet up and working on the binding for a customers quilt. I need to take a

photo of that one yet - its the old vintage quilt - that was in a cedar chest

for over 70 years. We just had a shop hop in our area and I went with my

friend ALL day friday - WOW! So much cool stuff I wanted to buy! I was able

to get the fabric for this binding and get everything else for 2 other projects

that I was stuck on. Sometimes I just can't get going on something if I dont

"love" the fabrics.......

Well, I did get some samples stitched, got the website updated and am almost finished sewing the sleeve down on my garden quilt. I have to finish the applique on my St. Jude entry, quilt it, bind it and deliver it by Saturday, the 15th. I feel like I have a lot to do, but I'm feeling so much more confident now in my quilting. I have been using Darlene's pocket guides, doing a lot of doodling, and just making things up as I go. I love the freedom of freehand work.

Oh, AND I got the King Tut thread to run through my machine with no breaks, no pokies, and no cursing. NOW THAT"S AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!

Here is my contribution. My customer is a mayor of a lake destination town, just north of Kansas City. He hand pieces and did hand quilt until he decided he wanted to get his quilts done faster - I have a new customer ;) . I used "Popcorn" by Willow Leaf Studios. He loved it.

Claudia, Your quilt is beautiful. I love your feather work. Some day I'm going to jump across the ocean to come visit you.

Ramona, I'm sorry you've been inconvenienced, but aren't you happy now that it's done. I hated the process of putting down floor, but now I am so happy we did it. So much better than carpet.

MaryBeth, the quit is lovely. Congrats on the new customer. Don't you just love that popcorn pattern? It is so quick and looks so nice.

Judy L, the weekend is officially over. What was your final count? Did you get it all done?

Mary Beth: It looks great! I love the colors he used and your quilting really makes it shine. Sounds like you have yourself a good, productive customer there!

Teresa: I missed my goal just a bit. I got 4 pantos done and while 5 or 6 would have been nice, I'll hopefully get back to quilting towards the end of this week.

I also work weekends, even though I have all day during the week. Sometimes I just get tired and can't run the machine all day long! I think sometimes a CQ would be great, but after hearing Tammie's frogging stories, I am not quite so envious. But I am sure the bumps will get worked out for you soon, Tammie!

Mary Beth your quilt does look great, that panto looks great on many things..............

Hi Judy, It's good to "see" you. Seems like it's been a long time.

I finally plugged my machine back in on Friday night. I had unplugged it when we went on vacation in May so it's been a very long time. But I have an excuse, I've been piecing a large quilt for my mom and I promised myself I would do nothing else until it was finished. I got it quilted over the weekend. I started off a little shaky and had to "un-quilt" a little but I got back into the swing of things and it looks pretty good. All that's left is the binding.

Hugs,

Holly

Judy,

I wanted to comment on your earlier post about Linda Steller. I happen to be one of those newbies watching Linda (not so much now since I've had my Millie a year) and rooting her on. I watched Linda go from first getting her Liberty and being nervous to what she can do now which is really pretty quilting. I tell her all the time she is my idol!!:P

She also happens to be really nice! Just wanted to share.

Diana

Archived