Grab a beverage of choice and sit, I've got a lot of questions.

It's been a long week. My computer had to go to the doc for a little r & r and I've had a long time to think. I've been working on this baby quilt and I'm just about done with the quilting. I'm doing a little ripping because, (1) I was too scared to do feathers in the border at first and just did some simple meandering. And (2) my tension was screwed up. I got braver with the feathers later, so I ripped all that out so I could do it over. No big deal. But I used 3 different spools of thread, 2 were Isocord for embroidery, very light, and the other was a 30 wt quilting thread. I fiddled with the tension at first, thought I had it right. I was wrong. How do you know? How do you check? I crawled underneath with a flash light, is there an easier way? When my Mom bought me my first sewing machine, she put a mark on the tension knob and said "do not move this!". She must be spinning in her grave right now!! I'm learning, Mom!!

There was a post earlier that mentioned the lower thread cutter and there were a lot more of you that didn't use it than did. Why don't you use it? Just curious.

Charging for your work. I feel really, really uncomfortable charging what has been suggested, seeing as I'm not that experienced. Did you start low and work up as your experience and quilting improved? Help me here, please.

I have another top here that is a western theme. Horses, cowboy hats, boots, bandana fabric, horse shoes.... I was trying to find a panto that would work, but nothing jumped up and grabbed me. Now that I think about it, maybe a template? Mary Beth's challenge? If anyone has any ideas, I'd be thrilled.

I know there's more, I should have made a list, but I guess this will do for now. I really missed this forum for a few days. You all, are such inspirations. I hope I can be an inspiration to others as well, someday. Thanks, in advance, for all your help.

Sheryl

Sheryl,

Well welcome back. It is horrible when your computer decides it needs a vacation.

On your tension - I still have to play with it some days! In this case you have to ignore what mom taught you because you have to turn that knob a lot more than you did moms old machine. I think a great way to learn tension is to put two contrasting threads in so that you can easily tell which thread is where. What I normally do is tighten until I see the bobbin thread on top and then back it off a little. I attach a small sandwich and test on that so that I can take it on and off easily and see what my tension is doing. If I'm working on a quilt then I test on the side and stitch swirls and pointy lines and flip it back so that I can see what the tension looks like. Just keep playing.

I use my thread cutter all the time and wouldn't want to be without it.

Charging - I think you are better to set your prices higher and give a discount. When you feel more comfortable don't give the discount. That way my customers see what the real cost is. I would suggest running a special, say 10% off for the month and see if that gets you comfortable enough. It is always harder to raise your prices.

No ideas off the top of my head on the western quilt. If you want to post a picture maybe that would spur some ideas.

Heidi,

I never thought about the sandwich thing. So much better than on you hands and knees. If you could see me now, you'd see me thumping my forehead with the palm of my hand. Duh!!

I use my thread cutter. I think it's the greatest thing ever invented.

That charging thing is going to be hard. I'm such a softy and maybe a little... unsure about my ability?? Is it going to be good enough? That kind of thing. Have to work on that.

Before my computer got sick, I was using Firefox. He removed it when he was cleaning it and all of my "favorites" are gone! All my quilting sites, shopping sites, educational, you name it, gone. Plus my mouse won't work either! Keeps shutting down. I have a laptop, but I still like my little mouse. Probably the only kind of mouse I'll ever like! Thank goodness it's Saturday.

I'll try and post some pics this week. I'll get my baby quilt done and then the cowboy one too. Better get back to my ripping! Thanks!

Sheryl

Sheryl--I have Dave Hudsons panto of cowboy hats, marshall's badge, bucking bronco, boots, etc. It's your for a $5 bill and shipping costs. I hate it. I hate pantos. I used it on two quilts--never again. Did I say I hate pantos? Yep, I hate em! :P

Maybe I should sell them all--I only have six or so. Or maybe I will donate them as prizes for Mary Beth's Stencil Challenge? Hey quilters--use your stencils and win some pantos--somehow it doesn't sound right!

Email me if you want the panto.

Sheryl,

Gotta love those V8 moments!

As for charging, I went through the same thing too but I found that I'm more critical of my work than my customers are! Don't sell yourself short. You have a big investment in your machine too. Keep practicing and make sure you're ready to take customers. You don't want a bad one out there bad talking you. You might consider quilting for a friend first at a discount. That way you get to experience quilting for others and you'll feel more confident when she loves it!

I wonder why your tech uninstalled Firefox. It is a much safer browers than explorer. It sounds like he deleted the driver for your mouse and replaced it with one that might not be the right driver. See if you have the software and re-install it.

Happy quilting!

Oh--I use my thread cutter all the time. So many say they don't use theirs--it's almost un-PC to say you do!

As for pricing, offer a "new customer" discount--which really is a "new quilter" discount! Base your pricing on standard-of-the-industry pricing and then offer the discount. Start with perhaps 20% off, work to 10% off and as your skills build, don't discount at all. I gave a 10% discount to all of my guild-mates on their first quilt. That stayed in place until I was well-established and started having a back-log--that took almost three years so have patience. Gook luck with your venture!

I also was going to suggest Dave Hudson - I think there are several western theme panto's out there. I make a sandwich on the side and check my tension there. Try to use the same or similar type fabric as is in you quilt. I recheck after every bobbin change to be safe. I also feel the back of the quilt after I start a pass - after a while you will be able to tell if the tension is off on the back

Sheryl-

I feel it is better to give a discount on the first or first few quilts, they feel like they are getting a good deal! If you set your prices low and then go up, they aren't going to like it. No one likes price increases, giving a discount at first allows you to raise your price without upsetting your customers.

I to am much more critical than my customers! We all see our mistakes or wish we'd done something better or different. I've learned they never see slightly off the line mistakes when doing a panto either.

Tension sometimes has to be played with, the more experience you get with adjusting bobbin and top tensions the easier it will be for you to discover quickly which one needs the adjusting. Some longarmers purchase a few extra bobbin cases and mark them for different types of bobbin threads.

I personally love doing a quick panto, they are the bread and butter in longarm quilting! I just ordered zippers so when doing a custom quilt (I get a lot of kings) with the zippers I can unzip it and spend a day doing a couple pantos to keep my cash flowing and then zip back on my custom. Can't wait for them to show up!

Best advice PPP and don't be afraid to play with your tension!

I never used my thread cutter when I had my Millie (I now have a Freedom SR). I learned without one because my first machine was a Gammill. I always bring my thread to the top of the quilt to cut. My Millie was 2 lbs 12 oz lighter when I removed the thread cutter. I am only 5'2" and weight of the machine does make a difference to me.

I did take my thread cutter off. I used it all the time for 3 years, but I had to clip threads off the back when I was finished. Shana has figured out how to cut, then bring up the bobbin thread and cut it on top. Naa...I'll just save a step, bring it up then cut it. I took the thread cutter off the lighten the load.

Sheryl I'm new in the business also and I think that my works isn't good enought either, but the customers really like what I do. I'm giving an 10%discount for the 1st quilt for each customer. I will also gave a discount to a customer that bring in a new customer and both get the discount. I just want to say good luck to you. I've also done some charity quilts to get better at my quilting.

Hi Sheryl

I have a mirror on the table under my quilt and I can see if the tension is OK. I slide it from one side to the other. You can only see a little way in from the sides, but if the sides are good, it should be good all the way across. My tension

alters whenever I change to a different type of thread, so you have to fiddle a bit to get it right.

Marley

Originally posted by marley

Hi Sheryl

I have a mirror on the table under my quilt and I can see if the tension is OK. I slide it from one side to the other. You can only see a little way in from the sides, but if the sides are good, it should be good all the way across. My tension

alters whenever I change to a different type of thread, so you have to fiddle a bit to get it right.

Marley

I also give all new customers 10% discount. and a discount for a referral of 10%. I wanted to do something not only to retain my customer base, but give something to loyal customers. So every 10th quilting project, they get 10% discounted also.

I also use the a mirro on my table. It helps from having to crank myself up underneath to look at the threads or to roll forward. I also keep bobbins marked with the right tension for the bottom thread I am using, so I only have to fiddle slightly with the upper tension.

Wow!

This is why I love this site! So many great ideas. Never thought of the mirror or bringing the threads up and cutting them. What a great time saver.

Linda- I'm not a great fan of pantos either, you made me laugh! Maybe I need to get some better ones than the ones that came with my machine. I looked at the one you talked about and I'm interested. I still giggle when I read your response!

The "barbed wire" thing? I saw a panto somewhere but free hand sounds better, but how?

Thank you so much for all the great info! If I had to do this on my own, it would be a disaster!:D:D

I love you guys!

Archived