centering swirls

Lynne in Iowa

OK I am almost ready to try something real. I have a wall hanging that is a little bigger than 33" square. I want to use the swirl template on it. There should be room for 9 swirls on it. Do I start in the top left corner and just go for it or do I center the middle swirl and place the rest from that one? I don't think there is enough room for it to matter if it is off on this quilt, but I am thinking of bigger ones in the future.

Hi Lynne.. I guess if you want the item more symetrical, you'd start with the middle and mark each center for the others.. I think you will find the larger ones easier to get them on.. and you could also let some go right off the side.. and just have part of the swirl on the part you want to keep.

I'll let anyone who knows better, come in here and give us both some solid Info????

Anyone.. Hubby is from Mapleton Lynne, not far from Carrol.. apqs home.

RitaR

Lynne,

Here's how I'd do it:

Measure in 5 3/4" from the top of the quilt, and 5 3/4" from the left, and make a mark. Drop your needle into the quilt to hold you at that point.

Rotate the template on-point as shown, (so your ends will line up), and then center the quiltazoid and lock everything down.

Stitch the template from left to right all the way through.

Leave the needle down in the quilt at the right end of the template, then lift up the stylus and slide the QZ to the right until the stylus drops in at the start point. Stitch the template again, and repeat until you have all 3 spirals.

Mark the center point of the second row 10 3/4" down from the centerpoint of the first design, and again in 5 3/4" from the left edge. Drop the needle in at this point, center the QZ, and stitch out the second row. Then do the same for the third row.

Give a call if you have any questions. Thanks,

Adam

<a  href=2447264980104533237S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

Now there is the right answer--I was just going to say go for it!!! That is what I do--but then math was never my strong point--never thought of measuring from the outside in!!!

Thanks Adam--hopefully I can do better with the next spiral quilt!!!

Question Adam--so if I didn't want the circles stacked on top of each other--but nested inbetween--so I would have 2 whole spirals in center and a 1/2 on each side--what is the math to get that correct--I have just be guesstimating!!

--is there a math number --say I might want to overlap about 3 rings or so--and have the lines overlap on top of each other?? I just wing it and sometimes they matched and sometimes they didn't--so it looked like it was supposed to be that way--but what if I wanted it to match?

Now you have my mind thinking!! and that can be dangerous!!!

Joyce, it is actually a lot easier to do, reading the instructions step by step, than just reading and not doing. I'm a doer person.. that works best for me.. then the video, and last the written word.. I usually make a basic list from the written or video info, no idea why I didn't with the QZ. I'm having one BIG hproblem with it, and that is himself, not the QZ. Nuf said or I'll get angry all over again. '

RitaR

I have a question, and can't try it out with a quilt on the machine.. if we want to use a pattern, say a flower type, and it is just a little too large for the area I want to put it in, is using it a hole or two less than the instructions say, going to make it smaller, or a different design all together???

I want to use the flower in the 6-7 inch size on the B cam.. it says to use 2.5 or 3 and I need a 5".. so, if I use 1.5, will it stitch the same pattern?? Has anyone tried anything like this??

Thanks for help..

RitaR

Rita--this is on my list of things to do after we are finished with my DD wedding in June--I want to put on a piece of fabric and try every gear in every hole so that I know what it will make.

I don't think it will make exactly the same pattern--but it will have the same number of "petals"--but they might be "shorter".

This might be a question to ask Adam--as I am only guessing here.

Hope this helped some.

Terri

Rita,

Usually it will change it some but if you nest those you can get some really cool designs! Don't be afraid to play. You are very creative and I know you can come up with your own Rita designs! What I'd try first is to stitch the design and then move it out to the next step and see what happens. Remember if you like it write it down and share!!!!

Thank you, Terri and Heidi, I don't mind if the petals are a bit shorter.. I just want to fit it in on the particular row of green flannel.. really can't find anything else I want to use there..

What I was afraid of is getting a sawtooth petal instead of a smoothe line to form the petals. This is a QOV quilt for a lady in Indiana I think, and I want it consistant, and it has rows of 4 5 and 6" one is a lot wider than that. May use spirals in it. Just not sure.. have two rows to stitch before I get there.

I sure will write it down.. I even have the little sprial back book in there waiting. Can't trust my memory any more. LOL

Ritar

Rita

That is a good question, One of the things that baffles me, and it does not take much these days:D. Is when we play, how we tell what size the design is going to be. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the numbers 1.5, 2 , etc do not correspond to the size of the design.

When I tried out the 2 new gears to see what they stitched, I was not sure how big they would be. Is there an easy way to know or is it trial and error,?

Boy I hope this make sense:D

Like Terri I think that would be a great idea, trying all the gears in every hole and make a record of it.

Edit

Just wanted to add that I am thinking about designs we come up with ourselves, not the ones that adam has in the manual, as they do give us the finished size .

That is a very good idea Terri. I'm putting that on my to do list too. It would make a great sample piece with the directions written right on the muslin. Would make it a lot easier to visualize what the design would look like on a quilt block. My mind hasn't even begun to realize to possibilities of the QZ.

I finished my piece with the spirals last night, I'll try to put up a picture soon.

EDITED SUPPER TIME, FRI. abouyt sizes and aligning the QZ designs.

Nope, my last gear is I.. Far too big for what I'm trying to do.

The top row of numbers in the little info graph for each design is what tells us the size.. the bottom row of number is what holes we should use, one also says it's for with or without the reducer ring.. and I'm crying and frogging... How in Hewck do I get a row of designs that don't touch each other.. when there is no center point that is sewn.. I'm up, it's down it's over. ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr Sob, Sob.. wipe nose on sleeve and rip some more.. ripping on flannel is NOT fun, nor good for OLD eyes.

Tear-less, not now, tearful, RitaR

• 2 months later...

here's a question for one of you qz gurus...:cool:

on this thread, adam explains how to measure so the designs are lined up right under each other.

i'm about to use this template on a quilt - & i had a thought, and since my thoughts are so few and far between, i feel compelled to post them ;) here she goes.....

what would the measurements be if you wanted to line the designs up so they kind of nested inside each other without really touching each other? you know, so the top hump of the second row kind of fit between the bottom humps of the first row. i think if i just eye it - it might get too wonky by the end.

and, btw, i hope i havent confused any of you with my technical geometric language. :P:D:P:D:P

in my infinite wisdom, i didnt realize that terri had already asked this question. but i still see no answer. of course, i may have to edit this post yet again.....as i am clearly struggling with my abc's today. sheesh!

here's a question for one of you qz gurus...:cool:

on this thread, adam explains how to measure so the designs are lined up right under each other.

i'm about to use this template on a quilt - & i had a thought, and since my thoughts are so few and far between, i feel compelled to post them ;) here she goes.....

what would the measurements be if you wanted to line the designs up so they kind of nested inside each other without really touching each other? you know, so the top hump of the second row kind of fit between the bottom humps of the first row. i think if i just eye it - it might get too wonky by the end.

and, btw, i hope i havent confused any of you with my technical geometric language. :P:D:P:D:P

in my infinite wisdom, i didnt realize that terri had already asked this question. but i still see no answer. of course, i may have to edit this post yet again.....as i am clearly struggling with my abc's today. sheesh!

Archived