need ideas - finished with pictures

This quilt is up next and i'm having a hard time coming up with ideas. She wants some special quilting. I'm thinking I'll piano key the outside border not sure about middle border. She doesn't want me to cover the face with quilting. Need some fill ideas for the horse & sky. I have a few thoughts for the other areas but any ideas are welcome!

post--13461904045961_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now , that 's one strange quilt!!! Ha!! I don't know, what about just simple stars and loops for the sky? Maybe just lines in the horse, you know , like showing the contour of the muscles and stuff? The other borders would be fun to fill in with fun feathers, onion looking thingys and swirls? HA!! That's funny, ME giving YOU ideas!! HA!!!:P I want to see this one when it's done! linda

Originally posted by meg

really...& we should record this date...i believe the last time i was rendered speechless was during the reagan administration.

Meg, Reagan served two terms; that's 8 years... yup...That is eight years of being rendered speechless??????? ;););)

Heidi,

If you keep the fill very small (tiny) and repeat the same fill design you could quilt on the face and other areas like the horse and it would actually look really cool. Imagine and pick any fill, really. You have to go tiny tho. Think about it.

Nancy Arseneault did this on her "Cowboy Charlie" quilt; I remember the fills she used for the night sky were like tiny little arcs or rainbows repeated. It was unique but very effective.

Shana you're killing me...tiny? The piecer doesn't really want me to do any quilting on the face. I suggested outlining the main features and nothing else. I'm thinking monopoly thread that way I don't have to have lots of thread changes but I may just change threads, haven't really decided yet. I don't think she wants to pay me for tiny.

Originally posted by Front Porch Quilting

Wow Heidi welcome to my world! Mine is even more "interesting" (not) than that! The sky needs some stars or Moons or something. I can't wait to see what you do with the face!!! Wow good luck on this one. You will make it shine I have no doubt!:cool:

Well at least I made you feel better about your quilt!

REally, I'm with Meg, don't know what to say...how did you keep a straight face when she gave you this quilt?

I think whimsey is the key word here. I think I would use some sparkly thread and do something like loops and stars for the sky, I don't know....this one would have me stumped too! Sorry!

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by meg

really...& we should record this date...i believe the last time i was rendered speechless was during the reagan administration.

Meg, Reagan served two terms; that's 8 years... yup...That is eight years of being rendered speechless??????? ;););)

Heidi,

If you keep the fill very small (tiny) and repeat the same fill design you could quilt on the face and other areas like the horse and it would actually look really cool. Imagine and pick any fill, really. You have to go tiny tho. Think about it.

Nancy Arseneault did this on her "Cowboy Charlie" quilt; I remember the fills she used for the night sky were like tiny little arcs or rainbows repeated. It was unique but very effective.

shana - let me qualify this...i am not saying that it was mr reagan or his administration that rendered me speechless.

i am saying the last time that i was rendered speechless was during his term - and that is a looonnnng time ago!

;););););)

we all know i cant shut up for 5 minutes, never mind 8 years!

How close of quilting does this one need, and how close does the owner require?

Can you quilt the features of the face, similar to what you would do with the horse with muscle movement lines? for the sky, I would see swirls of wind. With your piano key outside, how about a swirly, funky feather or ribbon in the white border. I know the multicolored spaces will talk to you.

It will be fun to see how this finishes out.

Every time I looked at this it got bigger! I see now that the outer edge is the black and white (?) stripe. wow. hmmmm. I sound underwhelmed, don't I?:)

If she doesn't want a lot of stitching, treat those interesting pieced areas at the top and bottom as one piece. It's calling for geometric and something that shows texture but not thread.

Do what you can get away with on the horse/figure without breaking her budget or putting you in the hole. As for the background-- match the thread to the sky and just echo it all. But leave a big space between the lines--maybe 1/2 inch or more--that will cover a lot of ground, nail it down--- any special quilting in the sky will draw the eye away from her focus, which has got to be the figure and the horse. Use your awesome skills, girl!! :cool:

I don't envy you this job--it could be so great with custom! Can't wait to see your finished photos!

Originally posted by Neher-in-law5

Heidi, have you seen the new thread by Wonderfil, called Invisifil? I'm getting ready to try some on my quilt. It is made to disappear into the fabrics and show the quilting but not the stitches. It is 100 wt and comes in colors but isn't monofilment.

100 wt is pretty fine thread. Now I am intrigued by Invisifil.:) I shall go check this out!! "A Google I shall go... A Google I shall go... Hi Ho the derry-o A Google I shall go... "

Originally posted by Neher-in-law5

Heidi, have you seen the new thread by Wonderfil, called Invisifil? I'm getting ready to try some on my quilt. It is made to disappear into the fabrics and show the quilting but not the stitches. It is 100 wt and comes in colors but isn't monofilment.

100 wt is pretty fine thread. Now I am intrigued by Invisifil.:)

Interesting and like Shana I agree very fine thread. Make sure to let us know how it goes!

Heidi, I know you will do some fun things with this circus girl and her prancing pony. I see lots of sparkly threads to enhance and "circus" looking designs. wherever you can stick them.

Thanks for the support Shana my friend! Maybe I'll pull out my Metro thread on this one. I also have highlights that might work. I love all of Shannon's ideas and many of them are ones that I had in my head but hadn't committed to paper so I didn't have the vision. What I couldn't figure out was what to do on the horse but I love the simple line Shannon drew! The circus girl has lots of movement and I'll just echo all of that. The suuare in a square border was exactly what I was thinking would be good for that border.

Archived