okay you guys, no laughing!

Bonnie,

The fabulous Marilyn Badger is left handed and started off with an Ult 1 and no instructions videos or forum or anyone to help her and look where she is now..so you are way ahead of the game already..just start off with the easy stuff until you get the feel of your machine and a comfortable speed for you..one day you will JUST GET IT and evrything will seem to will fall into place. You got a great machine.

• 3 weeks later...

Spring work has kept me away from the Ult1, and truly, when I opened my shed door from time to time to peer in at him/her/it, I swear it was glowering at me. However, a few days ago we found time to adjust my edgeriders a bit. Yesterday late afternoon we had a thunder shower which prevented me from doing spring work on the ranch, so I loaded a new practice piece. Today's thunder shower allowed me a bit of time to thread up and give it a go. I'm happy to report that now my circles look round instead of square. I tried some feathers and the feather shapes were much better, although my backtracking is still pitiful.

I'm left handed, and I noticed that if I stitch from right to left I seem to have a bit better control. Dawn's video says it is much better to stitch left to right. Are there other left-handers out there who have experienced this? I'm sure it is something I can overcome, but I found it interesting. It sure is a right-hander's world:-(

The bad news - the bobbin thread kept breaking. I'm using bottom line. I adjusted the tension on the bobbin so that it does the Shana-approved spider crawl, and *I* crawled under the machine to look at the line of stitching I was working on. The tension looks okay to me. I removed the bobbin case, and did the brush/wd-40/oil procedure, but it still breaks. I stitch about 10 - 15 inches, and all of a sudden no bobbin thread. The needle is new. I'm using OESD embroidery thread on top. I've checked my threading. Anything else I should be looking at?

I'm actually not too bummed by the bobbin thread problem because I'm so pleased that I can steer the machine much better than when I last tried it. Now I feel like I can work on getting better - learning how to deal with no SR, etc. I figure the bobbin thread problem is just some mechanical thing I'll figure out how to deal with - much less depressing than thinking that I just couldn't get the hang of nice curves and circles.

It is supposed to rain again tomorrow, so maybe I'll get some quality time in the shed. I haven't chosen a name for the machine yet. So far, the name I have been thinking of isn't very nice, so I'll wait until I feel a little more friendly toward it before deciding.

Bonnie...is the bobbin in correctly? The thread should come off the top and turn the bobbin clockwise as it pull through the bobbin case...while you are looking at the bobbin. Make sense?

Too bad you have been getting rain...we had 6 inches of snow a few days ago. Sure does make you miserable when you are ready for warmer weather. We still have a fire going through the day and night. Ugh!

Originally posted by fineseams

I'm left handed, and I noticed that if I stitch from right to left I seem to have a bit better control. Dawn's video says it is much better to stitch left to right. Are there other left-handers out there who have experienced this? I'm sure it is something I can overcome, but I found it interesting. It sure is a right-hander's world:-(

bonnie -

i think dawn means that it is easier for the machine to make a good stitch going left to right.

as for control - of course you will have better control going that way as a leftie. i have noticed that since i have had my machine for a while and have a some hours on it - i move smoother in all directions - probably cause i'm not so nervous.

i have enjoyed reading this post - you say no laughing - but it's impossible not laugh cause you are funny!

:P:P he/she/it glowering at you - that's very funny! :P:P

maybe you should name your machine 'The Beast.' then when he/she/it stops glowering, you can say you have tamed the beast! ;)

good luck!

back whe n I started in 96..we had no bells and whistles like there are now..I have the ultimate II..we used a lot of very simple edge to edge patterns like clouds...loops..clam shells. etc. they were very good to learn how to use the machine..maybe you can find some of those types of patterns...they help you get the rythm of the machine...I would even count from cloud to cloud to get the rythm going..

I have no idea how I came across this site, maybe from a post here, maybe on the FabShopHop.. anyway, this gives 365 fillers, and many of them are a lot of fun for practice..

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

Colleen, I'm tickled to see you sticking with it.. my work on an old rebuilt White Rotary machine that had been stretched, was pitiful, even though I'd been using my domestic on a Handi Quilter frame, which I don't think they sell by itself any more. Not the basic one. Oh what a mess that machine was, and so was I, until we rebuilt the bobbin, race, hook area. By then I'd already ordered the Lenni and refused to cancel the order. Oh how wonderful that was/is to have Lenni Penny to play and work on. She's a beauty, once we got all the stiching and tension and timing problems created buy us, I'm sure... over with.

I can laugh at myself and be disgusted with myself, both, but can now look back, and know I've grown.

We use a dry erase board, a piece of glass or heavy clear plastic fabric, and even old phone books with cheap markers.. to practice the movement for various designs, like feathers, pebbles, meandering, straight lines, curlycues, or meandering with stars, meandering with circles, or leaves, etc every now and then. Stencils are good, templates are good, so use them all. On the stencils and templates, the simpler ones are not the best, they show every bobble, the denser ones the bobbles seem to hide in, unless real bad.

The main thing is to make yourself relax and breathe evenly, not gasping. Once thats under control, the suffle side to side works better, and eventually you will be able to do it without thinking.. If I get down on the floor, I have to crawl over to the sewing chair and use it to get up, and sometimes I have to go from floor to chair to sewing table to get up. Look for ways, just do NOT use the roller bars.. the whole thing can and might tip over.. I'd hate to find you under the table and machine.

Just enjoy as much as you can and you will find it comes more and more natural, no matter which way your eye takes you in a design.

Ritar

Bonnie

So glad that you are getting time in to get to know your machine. When I read your post about opening the shed door and seeing it glowrering at you I thought of The Movie "Christine " by Stephen King, Yes I did laugh you are just too cute!!

I know how you feel as well these machines certainly can be intimdating but remember we are smarter than they are and "we are Women, Hear us Roar!!" So when you open that door and the beastly eyes light up and stare you down, Just let out a very loud Growl!! Keep up the good work.

This may sound like a silly question, but do you have a brake spring in your bobbin case? It sounds a bit like your bobbin is back lashing and therefore breaking. Check to make sure you have a brake spring and that it is actually providing braking, i.e. that the little 'fingers' on the spring are bent out a bit.

Bonnie, I would love to meet ou. You are a hoot!!

We worked outside (89 degrees) yesterday. I got the clothes ready for the washer this a.m; out jumped the cutest little toad. I told him he didn't need a bath today; just go catch some bugs. He is now enjoying the shade of a beautiful ( who knows what it is) plant. Hang in there with the longarm it is so much fun. I was and may still be the slowest learner in the world but I love it.

I am so proud , I finallly sold something today. A $1.00 quilter garage sale fabric:). It had chickens, behive, sunflowers, etd. I quilted the heck out of it. My girlfirend loved it. I told her to take it. She left me $15.00. That will buy a spool of thread. I am so excited. Life is good! Janice

I am sitting here with such admiration for you! I've had my Millie (Violet) for 3 years this month and i'm still scared and can't maneuver very good. Of course, I don't practice every day like I should. Life is just too busy here on our little farm. I still love her. congratulations!!

Carreen

Originally posted by stitchinsally

Bonnie,

I have to tell you that if my husband and I had the choice between being in a shed with a quilt machine or working out in the vineyard - we'd take the vineyard.

I'm SURE my DH would agree. He has been a big help in getting my machine set up and adjusted, but he's much happier running a tractor:-)

I really love working on the ranch, and I'm kind of bummed that I'm trying to squeeze in learning a little about my machine while still attempting to keep up with spring work. If you are a farmer, you know that no matter how many hours you work, in the spring you are always about 2 weeks behind. But somehow, even if you don't finish everything you wanted to, the grapes keep growing, the garden keeps growing and somehow you make it to harvest. It is just that the wonderful spring weather makes you want to get all those projects that you put off from last year accomplished before the ground dries out.....

Archived