Have you ever quilted and then not liked it?

At least it's my quilt. I know I should have followed my gut, but I didn't pay attention to my own instincts and just went ahead and did an all over swirl, instead of just swirling the main blocks and custom the balance of the quilt, which was my first thought. Now I'm disappointed and out it comes!

Have you ever done that to yourself? Did you rip it all out?

I am, and I'm really ticked with myself!! :mad:

There is a wonderful snowballs/mini bowtie quilt in my middle room that is quilted but not bound. It has been there a year. I hate the quilting on it. I love the quilt top. I have thought and thought about ripping it out. I just don't know if I can get it all ripped out. I think I will not be happy until it is ripped out. I know exactly how you feel and sorry that it happened to you too.:(

Hi Linda,

Sorry, but hindsight is always great just not problem solving!! I just finished a beautiful little quilt, for a first time quilter who is 14 years old. Mum and Granma said to do anything simple......... I picked a panto that I thought was going to give movement, had just the right density, the colour of the thread was fab, the stitch quality was great, the quilt top beautifully done and in lovely colours that where a pleasure to work with and I absolutley, positively HATED the quilting when it came off the machine.

I took it in to Mum and Granma and offered to redo the quilting if Ayla hated the quilting like I did, all she had to do was unpick it herself (I gave a really good price on the quilting!:)) They loved it and said that if Granma had done the quilting it would have been straight lines across the quilt and they thought it was great.

If it had been my own, I would have laid it aside and eventually unpicked it. I know that I would not use it if I hated it, so it would have been wasted time and effort and a costly piece of fabric creation catching dust. Sylvia and Linda, my dears, if you love your tops, bite the bullet and unpick because otherwise you will just not be happy. Wait for a cold day (or night) that requires some indoor time with a good light, good music or perhaps a good DVD, some chocolate and perhaps a glass of wine and go for it.

Cheers,

I think it just depends on how much you hate it. If it were me and I really hated it, I would take the stitching out. Right now I am piecing a block and have changed out half of the block fabrics because I really didn't like it.

Ripping 2" borders, all 5 of them, around a king size quilt. I did all but 3 sections last year when I was confined to the recliner after foot surgery, but the task wasn't completed before I was up and mobile and the quilt is back in the closet until I can force myself to sit still long enough to get it done. It is a quilt that I did on my hobby quilter, before I got the Millie, and I knew I would be terribly unhappy with the quilt unless I did those borders better. It is beautiful fall colors so I should get it done before the end of summer and put it on the bed!

Besides the terrible stitching on those borders, I hated that hobby quilter and the quilt was on the frame for MONTHS. By the time I got to the end I had forgotten what I had quilted at the top, so the wider borders on the one side are different than the opposite side. Not ripping that portion. After all, a person can't be standing on both sides of the bed at the same time so no one will ever know -- unless you all tell! :D

Oh yeah Linda! Been there, done that, MORE than once! Lucky for me, I have a dear cousin that finds frog stitching "relaxing"! I know, she's a bit crazy, but I don't let her know I think that. I just trade froggin' for quiltin'. Then we're both happy! LOL :cool:

OMGosh, Darlene, I'd rather have a root canal than frog my quilt, but I just can't stand it, I have about 1/3 frogged. I guess it will turn into my evening project while watching the telly with my DH. I'm using one of those razor-type stitch removers, looks like a mini scalple (sp?). After all the work that went into the piecing, I just can't stand to see it the way it is.............Makes me crazy -- or crazier than I already am! LOL! Good to hear all your stories, I don't feel the pain quite as much! LOL! (My husband thinks I've lost my mind taking it all out -- I think the craziness comes from being married to him for 36 years!!! LOL!)

I will definitely post pics when it's done the way I should have done it in the first place. Happy quilting, everyone!

Linda,

I feel your pain. Numerous times I've picked out what I thought was a good idea.

I spent 5 hours today picking out 3 huge sections on a customer quilt due to a tension issue! I'm not nearly finished. Sure wish I had a friend who liked to frog . It's really hard to frog with one hand !!! Can't wait to get full use of my left hand... but until then, it'd slow but steady.

Happy Frogging!

Archived