how can i fix this?

i'm trying very hard to get this quilt made for a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer - and of course since i'm such a slowpoke - it seems like everything is going wrong. i am probably not having any more trouble than usual, it's just that i am not walking away to breathe.

the back

i'm trying very hard to get this quilt made for a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer - and of course since i'm such a slowpoke - it seems like everything is going wrong. i am probably not having any more trouble than usual, it's just that i am not walking away to breathe.

the back

post--13461904260277_thumb.jpg

hi linzi - bl top and bobbin cause im in a bug hurry to get this top done and that was the type of thread they had at my LQS in the right color.

i would have thought the top was too tight since you can see the bottom thread on top on some of the turns. i'll try tightening the top and see if that works. i wanted to loopy loop but that seems to be giving me the worst stitch cause of all the turning....sheesh!

hi linzi - bl top and bobbin cause im in a bug hurry to get this top done and that was the type of thread they had at my LQS in the right color.

i would have thought the top was too tight since you can see the bottom thread on top on some of the turns. i'll try tightening the top and see if that works. i wanted to loopy loop but that seems to be giving me the worst stitch cause of all the turning....sheesh!

Meg,

What I would do is loosen the bobbin tension a lot more and then work on the top tension. It looks to me like they are fighting each other because clearly you are getting bobbin thread on top but it looks like your also getting top thread on the bottom. What size needle are you using? Are you sure your thread path is right and the thread is going through the tension disks right and not snagging or catching on something that would change the tension? Also have to tried a different bobbin case?

Meg,

What I would do is loosen the bobbin tension a lot more and then work on the top tension. It looks to me like they are fighting each other because clearly you are getting bobbin thread on top but it looks like your also getting top thread on the bottom. What size needle are you using? Are you sure your thread path is right and the thread is going through the tension disks right and not snagging or catching on something that would change the tension? Also have to tried a different bobbin case?

linnea - i am a big, fat slowpoke. believe me - i am not going too fast. ;)

heidi - the bobbin is already real loose. i think i better try another case.

you must be rubbing off on me heidi cause i just changed the needle to a 3.5. (could you rub some of your feather talent on me please?)

never thought about the tension disk area being linty. i am going to hit it with some canned air. maybe there is some lint in there. then i will rethread it (AGAIN)

i just cleaned all the rails and wd40ed the bobbin area when i took off my last practice piece so i know everything else is clean. i even remembered to look under the arm and hit it with some air.

just when i think i get it - something else happens. sometimes i wonder if i will ever be good at this....then i remember how stubborn i am and know at least i will die trying! :D:P:D:P

linnea - i am a big, fat slowpoke. believe me - i am not going too fast. ;)

heidi - the bobbin is already real loose. i think i better try another case.

you must be rubbing off on me heidi cause i just changed the needle to a 3.5. (could you rub some of your feather talent on me please?)

never thought about the tension disk area being linty. i am going to hit it with some canned air. maybe there is some lint in there. then i will rethread it (AGAIN)

i just cleaned all the rails and wd40ed the bobbin area when i took off my last practice piece so i know everything else is clean. i even remembered to look under the arm and hit it with some air.

just when i think i get it - something else happens. sometimes i wonder if i will ever be good at this....then i remember how stubborn i am and know at least i will die trying! :D:P:D:P

I was having immense tension issues, and discovered it was because the thread was too small for the needle. The top was batik, with 100% cotton batting.....don't even get me started on that! Had to use a bigger needle to keep the thread from breaking every inch. When I used thicker thread on top, the tension was great.

Change to smaller needle and see if that helps. Check to make sure your plugs for the two stitch-regulator boxes on the back of the machine are firmly plugged in. One was loose, and it affected not only the SR quality, but the tension.

I was having immense tension issues, and discovered it was because the thread was too small for the needle. The top was batik, with 100% cotton batting.....don't even get me started on that! Had to use a bigger needle to keep the thread from breaking every inch. When I used thicker thread on top, the tension was great.

Change to smaller needle and see if that helps. Check to make sure your plugs for the two stitch-regulator boxes on the back of the machine are firmly plugged in. One was loose, and it affected not only the SR quality, but the tension.

Meg,

OK try changing 1 thing at a time so you can figure out what is wrong. If you have loosened the tension on the bobbin a lot then look to see if you have lint under the finger causing uneven tension issues. If you have another bobbin case try that first and then try another bobbin. Sometimes it is just the bobbin. OK if that makes no change look at the thread path. Check tension disks, make sure the pigtail before the tension disk is at 8 o'clock position (mine moves and it will surely give me tension issues). Yes I prefer a 3.5 but that can also cause more needle flex but I don't seem to have a problem with that. Make sure your quilt sandwich isn't too tight. Call me if you want to trouble shoot with me. If I had time I'd go for a couple hour drive but unfortunately not this weekend. It is hubby's b'day and I have company coming. I don't feel good at all and I'm waiting to call the doctor. I think I either have a kidney infection or kidney stone. I wish I could catch a break! Between work, family, health and the lot I'm done in. LOL I love the forum because it takes my mind off all my problems and I can focus on somebody else's so thanks for helping a girl out :P:P:P:P:P.

Meg,

OK try changing 1 thing at a time so you can figure out what is wrong. If you have loosened the tension on the bobbin a lot then look to see if you have lint under the finger causing uneven tension issues. If you have another bobbin case try that first and then try another bobbin. Sometimes it is just the bobbin. OK if that makes no change look at the thread path. Check tension disks, make sure the pigtail before the tension disk is at 8 o'clock position (mine moves and it will surely give me tension issues). Yes I prefer a 3.5 but that can also cause more needle flex but I don't seem to have a problem with that. Make sure your quilt sandwich isn't too tight. Call me if you want to trouble shoot with me. If I had time I'd go for a couple hour drive but unfortunately not this weekend. It is hubby's b'day and I have company coming. I don't feel good at all and I'm waiting to call the doctor. I think I either have a kidney infection or kidney stone. I wish I could catch a break! Between work, family, health and the lot I'm done in. LOL I love the forum because it takes my mind off all my problems and I can focus on somebody else's so thanks for helping a girl out :P:P:P:P:P.

Hi Meg.

Hopefully, you've sorted this all out but, if not here are my ideas.

Pretty quilt! I'd go with a panto or all over. Your feathers and loop shapes are nice and even. You don't look like a newbie at all!

Tension. I think a 3.5 needle with the BL will help. If that does not fix it, I'd tighten the bobbin since it is going up to the top. Give it a good cleaning and relax. Try it again. Could the sandwich be too tight??

Good luck! You can do this.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

New Jersey

Hi Meg.

Hopefully, you've sorted this all out but, if not here are my ideas.

Pretty quilt! I'd go with a panto or all over. Your feathers and loop shapes are nice and even. You don't look like a newbie at all!

Tension. I think a 3.5 needle with the BL will help. If that does not fix it, I'd tighten the bobbin since it is going up to the top. Give it a good cleaning and relax. Try it again. Could the sandwich be too tight??

Good luck! You can do this.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

New Jersey

Originally posted by IBQLTN2

Heidi

Hope it isnt a kidney stone those can be bad news I hear, luckily not by experience. Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better, not fun having company and feeling yucky!!

Thanks Jeanne. I went to the doctors but didn't see my regular doctor and the one I got doesn't seem good to me. She didn't look me in the eye once, even when she shook my hand and introduced herself. Most of her time was spent staring at her computer and her back to me! She did a urine test and said no blood but there was protein so they will check it for a UTI. Her guess is that it is muscular so she sent me home with pain meds and muscle relaxers. If I still have pain on Monday they will then do imaging. So basically if it isn't muscular I'm stuck until Monday. I didn't sleep all night and was in so much pain. I really can handle a lot of pain and it takes a lot to put me in tears. I seldom take any pain meds after surgery and I've had some pretty big surgeries. I told them that I compared this pain to the same pain I have when I have a lung that is 20% collapsed. Time will tell. I still need to go get the pain meds so hopefully they will help. I'm not hopeful because I have such a high tolerance for meds that they seldom have an affect on me. She told me they would make me drowsy...LOL very doubtful. The meds they gave me for my foot surgery were supposed to knock me out but they kept me awake all night and I stopped taking them. The doctor was shocked, they always are but each time I see a new doctor I have to go through this. I hope it just takes the edge off.

Archived