Suspicious E-mail - Fil-Tec

I just received an e-mail from a college student (supposedly) asking about an online community of Fil-Tec customers. Did any of you get an e-mail? I sent it on to Fil-Tec asking if it was on the up and up. Also, I am NOT thrilled with them if they are involved if they gave out our e-mail addresses without our permission. :mad: Here is the e-mail I received:

Hi there,

My name is Sarah Zargarpour and I am a rising junior at Bucknell University. I am doing a summer program here at Bucknell called the Institute for Leadership in Management and Technology. As part of our program I am working with a group of students on a project. Our project is to create an online "quilting community" for Fil-Tec customers and other members of the quilting world, where quilters can connect with each other and share information, as well as posting pictures of quilts they have made and potentially having quilting contests.

We were wondering if you would be willing to help out our team by answering a few questions about what you would want in an online community. If you would be willing to assist us we would love to talk to you, so could you please send us the best phone number to contact you at, or if you would prefer we could email you a set of questions to answer. Your feedback will directly contribute to the design and set up of the online community.

Thank you so much for your time and we look forward to talking to you in the future,

Sarah Zargarpour

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just received an e-mail from a college student (supposedly) asking about an online community of Fil-Tec customers. Did any of you get an e-mail? I sent it on to Fil-Tec asking if it was on the up and up. Also, I am NOT thrilled with them if they are involved if they gave out our e-mail addresses without our permission. :mad: Here is the e-mail I received:

Hi there,

My name is Sarah Zargarpour and I am a rising junior at Bucknell University. I am doing a summer program here at Bucknell called the Institute for Leadership in Management and Technology. As part of our program I am working with a group of students on a project. Our project is to create an online "quilting community" for Fil-Tec customers and other members of the quilting world, where quilters can connect with each other and share information, as well as posting pictures of quilts they have made and potentially having quilting contests.

We were wondering if you would be willing to help out our team by answering a few questions about what you would want in an online community. If you would be willing to assist us we would love to talk to you, so could you please send us the best phone number to contact you at, or if you would prefer we could email you a set of questions to answer. Your feedback will directly contribute to the design and set up of the online community.

Thank you so much for your time and we look forward to talking to you in the future,

Sarah Zargarpour

Guest Linda S

I just got it too. Could be legit - but I thought I'd call Fil-Tec in the morning and ask before responding. Oftentimes, college kids don't think about having the company let everyone know first.

Linda

Guest Linda S

I just got it too. Could be legit - but I thought I'd call Fil-Tec in the morning and ask before responding. Oftentimes, college kids don't think about having the company let everyone know first.

Linda

I checked Bucknell Univ. and there is a sarah zargarpur w/ major in Management. Also has her bucknell U email address. You could call that Institute for Leadership Management and Technology with your concerns and speak to her professor. I worked at Virginia Tech and my husband is Chair of Math Dept and I know he would answer any questions if his student were contacting the public. It isn't uncommon for people to ask questions about a project if they are asked to be part of it. Bucknell should let you know if it is legit and they would not like it if someone were using them for a scam.

I checked Bucknell Univ. and there is a sarah zargarpur w/ major in Management. Also has her bucknell U email address. You could call that Institute for Leadership Management and Technology with your concerns and speak to her professor. I worked at Virginia Tech and my husband is Chair of Math Dept and I know he would answer any questions if his student were contacting the public. It isn't uncommon for people to ask questions about a project if they are asked to be part of it. Bucknell should let you know if it is legit and they would not like it if someone were using them for a scam.

I did a Google search for Bucknell U and there was a search box for students so I plugged Sarah's name in there and guessie whaaaaat? There she is! A picture even!

http://www.bucknellbison.com/sports/w-fieldh/mtt/zargarpour_sarah00.html

Well, chances are she's probably legitimate and safe to respond, but the proper way for her to handle this would be to have someone officially from Fil Tec sending an email asking if you (the customer) would be interested in partiicpating in Sarah's college project.

So, sounds like they got the protocol backwards. Not sure if Sarah gave any phone numbers or web sites to reference, or if she referenced the Fil Tec headquarters and web site in the email. That would have been the more professional way of handling this. Oh well, she's still learning the ropes in the business world :)

You might want to forward your email to the Fil Tec people and ask them to check its legitimacy.

I did a Google search for Bucknell U and there was a search box for students so I plugged Sarah's name in there and guessie whaaaaat? There she is! A picture even!

http://www.bucknellbison.com/sports/w-fieldh/mtt/zargarpour_sarah00.html

Well, chances are she's probably legitimate and safe to respond, but the proper way for her to handle this would be to have someone officially from Fil Tec sending an email asking if you (the customer) would be interested in partiicpating in Sarah's college project.

So, sounds like they got the protocol backwards. Not sure if Sarah gave any phone numbers or web sites to reference, or if she referenced the Fil Tec headquarters and web site in the email. That would have been the more professional way of handling this. Oh well, she's still learning the ropes in the business world :)

You might want to forward your email to the Fil Tec people and ask them to check its legitimacy.

As we know from all the hidden members, anyone can come into APQS chat and get email addy's or phone numbers.

Personally, I would neither open it, nor respond. Who knows what the ulterior motive is, legit or hiding behind legit..

g'nite.. RitaR, "run off at the mouth".. lol

As we know from all the hidden members, anyone can come into APQS chat and get email addy's or phone numbers.

Personally, I would neither open it, nor respond. Who knows what the ulterior motive is, legit or hiding behind legit..

g'nite.. RitaR, "run off at the mouth".. lol

Guest Linda S

Oh heck! She's a field hockey player!! I used to play left full back. Probably just a go-getter who does without thinking things through thoroughly.

Linda - I'll bet she got both of our names off the Fil-Tec testimonial page. Fil-Tec may not have given her any information whatsoever. Lots of us are easily findable on the internet.

Linda

Archived