Help,Help, Help

Boy, not my style, but to each their own. My 2 cents, and not even worth that, but here goes. On the "Ribbon" one, I like the idea of making it a package. SID around the ribbon, and do some type of stitching to give the ribbon texture. Even something as simple as putting on the channel locks and doing piano keys in the ribbons. How about a viny meander on the "package" part of the quilt. Again, giving it texture. I'd go with a neutral thread, it's not going to show on that at all.

Top one. Could you cross hatch the larger rectangles to just hold them down, then do some sort of different types of free hand designs in the smaller rectangles and squares? Too add some cohesiveness to them, I'd suggest the same design in blocks that are the same print.. Again, neutral thread because it's got enough going on already.

Please let us know what you come up with.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She want's custom but she ain't gonna see much with those busy fabric patterns. You can give her choices with custom and panto. She's paying for it so... whatever right? Anyway, I would suggest a floral e2e on both. The Asian one, a panto called "Magnolia" by Urban Elements and it is quite pretty with Asian. The other one with the bow you can find a floral panto that fits the flowers around the bow.

She want's custom but she ain't gonna see much with those busy fabric patterns. You can give her choices with custom and panto. She's paying for it so... whatever right? Anyway, I would suggest a floral e2e on both. The Asian one, a panto called "Magnolia" by Urban Elements and it is quite pretty with Asian. The other one with the bow you can find a floral panto that fits the flowers around the bow.

On the Asian top, perhaps do Clam Shells on the 2 large retangles with the Asian print fabric; in the blocks with the large flowers, just outline them and add a bit more detail if needed. I would SID around the black sashing, and maybe not stitch in them (a place for the eye to rest...recouperate LOL), and some other designs, like Greek Keys in the squares, etc.

Personally, I would like Clam Shells all over the entire top, or a nice Asian inspired panto.

On the second one, I would SID around the bow and do something with side to side continuous lines, almost like piano keys for a border, then a nice freehand meander that would pick up a design element from the fabric, for the background..

On the Asian top, perhaps do Clam Shells on the 2 large retangles with the Asian print fabric; in the blocks with the large flowers, just outline them and add a bit more detail if needed. I would SID around the black sashing, and maybe not stitch in them (a place for the eye to rest...recouperate LOL), and some other designs, like Greek Keys in the squares, etc.

Personally, I would like Clam Shells all over the entire top, or a nice Asian inspired panto.

On the second one, I would SID around the bow and do something with side to side continuous lines, almost like piano keys for a border, then a nice freehand meander that would pick up a design element from the fabric, for the background..

Yikes...I'd wear blinders I think. I'm not a fan of Asian fabrics for whatever reason. It just doesn't talk to me. I would definitely SID around the black and find a sakura stitching that would make it pretty. I like the idea of clamshells.

On the package one I'd definitely outline the bow and I like making it look like a package. Maybe just fill it with some background fills and make the ribbon ribbonish...lol that is a help huh?

Yikes...I'd wear blinders I think. I'm not a fan of Asian fabrics for whatever reason. It just doesn't talk to me. I would definitely SID around the black and find a sakura stitching that would make it pretty. I like the idea of clamshells.

On the package one I'd definitely outline the bow and I like making it look like a package. Maybe just fill it with some background fills and make the ribbon ribbonish...lol that is a help huh?

Wait....let me get my shades!:cool:

Wow, that "present" is bright! I add to the chorus of different fillers on each fabric and something to make the ribbon stand out. If she wants custom, go to town!

For the Asian top, again fills for each block--ginko, water meander, bamboo, asian clouds, or florals to mimic the florals in the blocks. The gold fabric has the pumpkin-seed design, so perhaps use that on the gold/blue/red/orange plainer fabrics.

Good luck--you can make them beautiful!

Wait....let me get my shades!:cool:

Wow, that "present" is bright! I add to the chorus of different fillers on each fabric and something to make the ribbon stand out. If she wants custom, go to town!

For the Asian top, again fills for each block--ginko, water meander, bamboo, asian clouds, or florals to mimic the florals in the blocks. The gold fabric has the pumpkin-seed design, so perhaps use that on the gold/blue/red/orange plainer fabrics.

Good luck--you can make them beautiful!

Thank You all for your suggestions..I have BEGGED this woman to let me do E2E but she won't have it..She is Mrs. Richey Rich and a real PITA but never complains about the price...she says she doesn't like heavy quilting, just simple, but then afterward says it could have been quilted more..even though.. TRUST ME ON THIS..the quilt was quilted JUST RIGHT...She loves K.Fassett and almost all of them are gaudy K'S..don't get me wrong, I have quilted some beautiful K quilts..but not my favorite fabric. Thanks again for all your help and I will be sure and take pics to post when I'm done.

Thank You all for your suggestions..I have BEGGED this woman to let me do E2E but she won't have it..She is Mrs. Richey Rich and a real PITA but never complains about the price...she says she doesn't like heavy quilting, just simple, but then afterward says it could have been quilted more..even though.. TRUST ME ON THIS..the quilt was quilted JUST RIGHT...She loves K.Fassett and almost all of them are gaudy K'S..don't get me wrong, I have quilted some beautiful K quilts..but not my favorite fabric. Thanks again for all your help and I will be sure and take pics to post when I'm done.

While these quilts are not my kind of thing, I think they are very stunning....and not necessarily in a bad way. I see different Sashiko designs in the plain or small print blocks on the Asian quilt. Maybe paisley on the flower print ones, or swirls...or outlining the flowers would be good. I like the clamshell idea for the scenic blocks..a rather small one. As suggested, SID the black sashing and nothing in it.

The other one is very interesting. I think a curvy swirly background fill over the entire area that isn't the bow, without regard to the piecing, SID the ribbon, then follow the lines in the bow...just very linear. Over the striped fabric, working lengthwise over the area...wiggly parallel lines.

Again, these are "artsy" and not "ugly" to me! I'd love to have a customer for whom price is not a big deal! Enjoy!

While these quilts are not my kind of thing, I think they are very stunning....and not necessarily in a bad way. I see different Sashiko designs in the plain or small print blocks on the Asian quilt. Maybe paisley on the flower print ones, or swirls...or outlining the flowers would be good. I like the clamshell idea for the scenic blocks..a rather small one. As suggested, SID the black sashing and nothing in it.

The other one is very interesting. I think a curvy swirly background fill over the entire area that isn't the bow, without regard to the piecing, SID the ribbon, then follow the lines in the bow...just very linear. Over the striped fabric, working lengthwise over the area...wiggly parallel lines.

Again, these are "artsy" and not "ugly" to me! I'd love to have a customer for whom price is not a big deal! Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived