anyone sell their quilts

I'd like to sell some, too. I love to make them and running out of family to give them to. :P I'd like to sell some to make $$ to buy more toys!

I have an Etsy account, too, but so far, no bites. I listed on Ebay first, but people there think they can buy a quilt for $29.95 like in the Penny's catalog. WRONG !!! :D

I haven't tried Craig's List yet. Our daughter has bought and sold things there, so I may check it out.

Check your local area for craft fairs etc, Jane and I do this and have reasonable success. You State or County offices can usually direct you with times and dates. You'd be surprised what they want though! Have a few really nice ones and then carry a line of baby size comforters, throws, SID'd in the faux ditch, LOL, cheater fabrics type quilts, ) quilted ones too, quick and easy! You'll sell a lot of the smaller ones usually for a good profit if you load 3 or 4 on your machine at once and use an overall pattern. Once and a while you'll sell a nice one but those little and medium/ inexpensive ones go well. Wall hangings work too!

The good ones show them what you can do and the cheaper ones allow the people who want a quilt to settle for what they can afford at the time. Variety!

If nothing else you get your name out there , get to spend some quality time together, meet some interesting people, and have a good tax deduction for the trip and fees.

If you have baby size quilts be careful, if you say they are for infants you have to make them from those fire retardant materials as required by law.

Just some ideas we have done, GOOD LUCK!---Dave B

After reading these posts, I started wondering: If someone wants to buy the quilt then when they show up they want to "inspect" it before buying that's one thing. But...what if it's mailed and then that person decides that it isn't what they want. Would you take it back and refund the money or tell them it's a done deal?

Barb, That would be totally up to you and how you sold it, especially today with all the electronic ways to send photos etc. If you say up front NO RETURNS for example I think they are fairly warned and if you gave no other guarantees that should be it. Take Care---Dave B.

I have been selling successfully on Etsy for 3 years now. My quilts are all over the World. My policy states no returns or exchanges and I invite the potential buyer to ask for more photos or information before they commit to buy. i have never had a problem with any buyer. remember however, that good photos with true color are a necessity so is a comprehensive description. State sizes, batting, quilting pattern and thread used, give views of various angles. remember that your customer only has your word and picture to make up their mind, honesty is paramount.

Selling on Etsy as everywhere else, is hard work. Every Quilt I list competes with 21000 other listings and the number is growing every day. So to simply set up shop, list your quilt and sit back and wait for sales is not going to happen. Your Quilt will land on page 20 real fast and who will search on page 20??? I won't, so the old adage "it takes money to make money" is still true. You have to put your item into the customer's face all the time, every day. I suggest that you look at the Quilt category on etsy and see what people are listing, how their pictures are, their pricing, their description, etc.

Another site you might consider is Artfire, and QuiltsforSale.com

Good luck.

Hand made quilts are really hard to sell (especially on ebay - trust me don't even try it you won't get your money back for the material, let alone for the time and effort you put into making one of your goregous quilts).

I haven't tried etsy, but have heard mixed things about that venue too. Craft fairs are really hard, especially in this economy. I think your best bet is to advertise your quilts for sale on your website. You need to attrack customers who appreciate the time and effort (blood, sweat and tears) you put into you craft.

I sell my quilts to friends and colleagues if they see one they love and must have. I also take custom quilt orders, and have made several that way, with my own designs, machine piecing, and machine quilting. My business has been active for a bit over a year, and there have been no returns for the quilts. I have a website that offers quilts for sale, but I really don't update it very much and mostly just show my new quilts on Facebook. That way if someone sees one they love, they can purchase it. I don't set prices until the person is really committed to buying the quilt.

Karen Wheeler

Feathers & Loops

www.feathersandloops.com

Millennium

A word to the wise. When you sell a quilt on ebay or esty, be sure to use a tape measure in the picture. I sold a quilt on EBay and the buyer came back and filed a complaint because the quilt wasn't the size I said it was. Luckily, I had hung it from our pergola which is 12 in spaces between the 2X4's. I could prove in the picture that it was the size I said it was, not what she claimed.

She loved the quilt, but wanted to get it for less because it wasn't a quilt bedspread. I sold her a quilt, not a bedspread, 84X84. IT was a scam to pay less. always find a way to prove it is the size you say.

I (almost) sold a baby size quilt to a co-worker who works in another building. She wanted a shower gift. I e-mailed her quite a few pictures of different quilts I have here, and she picked out a few she was interested in. I then sent the measurements and more detailed information and more pictures - front and back. She picked one, we settled on a price and I mailed it to her. I didn't get the check from her. After a few more days went by, I called her to say I didn't receive her check and I was concerned that it was lost in the mail. She then said she didn't send me the check because she didn;t like the quilt. It was too small (yes, I sent her the exact measurements), she didn't like the "feel" of it. I described the 100% cotton fabric on top and the 100% flannel on the back. Nice and soft. Nope. She didn't think so. She went on to describe what she bought for about $15 in Target which was a very soft fleecy blanket that was exactly what she wanted. She then sent the quilt back to me.

Since then she has asked me several times to make quilts for her, but I suggested she shop elsewhere. I had no interest in a repeat of the first experience.

I have so many quilts here and I would love to sell some of them. I'll be watching this post for some fo your ideas.

That's the problem.............people think they can buy a nice quilt for little or nothing and have NO idea the cost of fabric, patterns, all our "tools", the time involved, etc. When you see "quilts" in the catalog for "$29.95 ANY SIZE", it's hard to convince people that your quilt is worth 10 times that or more. I've had so many people ask "can you WHIP UP a quilt for me for next Thursday?" haha The people who DO understand the cost are usually other quilters who can make their own quilts...........:)

I'd love to find a reliable outlet to sell. Ebay is NOT a good place. I looked at the Quiltsforsale site and it looked interesting. Not sure about Craig's List. Will keep looking.

Linda...I agree with you 1000%! I've had so many people ask lots of questions about my quilting and when we start talking about price they look shell-shocked because they can get the $29.95, like you said. That includes my daughter's in-laws. When I was asked to make a quilt "just like Layla's (my little granddaughter)" for Nancy's step-MIL, she said, but not twin size, I need a queen size. Layla's is a Yellow Brick Road. So she says, and I want a center medallion, and I would like something with some lace, etc.!!!! I said I would be delighted to make something for her, but, my frame will only accomodate a quilt no larger than 104" and it would most likely be too small for what she needs. She decided 104" would be just fine. Well, I started to tell her we would have to design what she wants and figure out how much fabric, etc we would need, and I don't feel comfortable working with lace, but she could think in the price range of about $300+ for materials, plus my labor charge. Of course I would give her a big discount on my labor, however, she will still be looking at around $600- $800, maybe more. She hasn't asked me again. ;)

Some people really understand and appreciate good quality, hand made itmes, whether it is quilting, knitting, woodworking, etc, but most people around here seem to think that if you can make it at home, it will cost them half of what Walmart will charge them. It is annoying!

Sandra I think we all have ran into people who think that way. Not only on the cost, they think you should be able to whip up a quilt in a extremely short amount of time. All you can do is just laugh when you run across people like that. What is annoying as well are the people who will pay the cost for a Amish made quilt, but think a non Amish made quilt is low quality and should cost the price of Wal-mart's bed in a bag.

Liam, you're so right. I live about an hour to an hour and a half from the Amish area in Lancaster. I go there a few times a year and of course, always look at the quilts for sale.

The prices do vary, but so does the quality of fabric used, and the expertise of the quilters and piecers. Not everything is good.

Some of the hand quilting is no better than what I can do...and, I'm not a good hand quilter. I would like to do better, but I seem to not have the time to PPP.

I think the mentality around here is that if they buy a quilt in Lancaster, it is rated a 10+ on a scale from 1 to 10. If it was quilted on a machine, it is inferior from the get-go. That is also why several people that laughed at my quotes said the quilts on sale at Kohl's were hand quilted, so therefore better. They were hand quilted, with stitches about a 1/4 inch long and done in a far-away land where labor is cheap, and so it the quality.

Another example is when a co-worker asked another co-worker of mine if she would crochet lacy ankle socks for her, because she thought she was being over-charged at some area boutique where they were charging her $8.00 a pair for factory made ones. The crocheter quoted her $25 a pair plus cost. The cheap co-worker didn't speak to the crocheter for a long time! LOL

I've already asked people what they make an hour. When I got the "how dare you ask such a personal question" look, I proceded to say that I really didn't want to know the answer, but just wanted them to think about what their time was worth and to try to understand that my time was very valuable to me, too, and that I would not work for $2.00 an hour...would they?

Sometimes people think that because I enjoy quilting, I am available to do things for them "just because I enjoy it and do it as a hobby". Yes, it is a hobby for ME, but not to do for others for free. Others say.........."if you are looking for something to do....??" Then I say sure and hand them my price list ! Sometimes they stutter and stammer and then realize that I DO charge for my services. That reminds me that I need to update and add more details to my pricing list!!!!

That's a good one Sandra...........asking them how much THEY make. Love it............:P

I read an interesting article in a popular quilt magazine that the Amish actually outsource a portion of their quilts to Asia to be made it even had a picture of a child working on a quilt! They had to do this to keep up with tourists and low prices. Crazy! You don't want to sell to Walmart shoppers you need to find the Neimus Marcus shopper who has disposable income and look for crazy ways to spend money. Start contacting some High end designers to work with.

Another question in this line: If I make a quilt from a pattern, piece it and quilt it and want to sell it - let's say lap size - I'm thinking maybe $150.00 - $200.00 is about all I can charge. That will probably still shake some folks to the core but I think it's pretty darned reasonable. Not going to get much for my piecing/quilting time but at least it's some $$ to buy more fabric! Any input on this? Very interested in your comments.

Well Laura, I sell Lap Quilts ranging from $175.00 to $280.00 all the time. My Queen size are going from $320. to $575.00. So far this year I have sold 76 Quilts, many custom order queen size Quilts. I keep it simple, yellow brick road pattern mostly, use fat quarter bundles wherever possible, machine bind, and can make a queen size Quilt from start to finish in 10 hrs. I use Amy Butler, Moda, RjR, Michael miller, etc fabrics, and when all is said and done, make around $20.00 plus per hour. It keeps me in fabric, buys some toys, pays some bills, and keeps me happy. And the best part??? This is all on line, no face to face with customers. I make what I think will sell, put it online, and wait. Customer pays shipping as well.

So, take your heart in your hands and get started! If I can do it and be successful, so can you.

lol Susan...another thing, I do not discount, have no sales, my price is firm. I do refund excess shipping, and I make sure my Etsy and PayPal fees are recovered in the sales price. Periodically someone will e-mail me and say something silly like "I would buy this (a queen size Quilt made with the Serenity collection) for $200.00. I thanks them for visiting my store and tell them that if they find that Quilt for $200.00 to let me know and I will buy one too. I never hear from them again.....

I'm with you Laura............I would like to make enough $$ to recover my cost and have a little extra to go out and buy more fabric, toys, kits, etc. RECYCLING is the way I think of it. Make a quilt, sell it, recycle the money back into another project. :P

Archived