Double Wedding Ring

I bought a DWR from eBay for $75. My initial intent was to use it as practise and do something different in the center of each ring and then hang in my studio. I was going to do some Circle Lord (featherz, sunburst, various Ginko, Aztec, SprioThinhgy, etc. designs), as well as some free-hand designs like feathers. And I was going to either SID, or CC the rings.

Well, it arrived today. It's a lovely, queen size 30's feedsack quilt - all hand made, very well done, and in great condition (a bit of yellowing). Now I think making a sampler out of it might ruin it. What do you think? Would doing a different design in each ring ruin it? Should I just pick one and do the same thing in each block? I love the idea of the sunburst in each ring.

PS - It was following the advice of this forum that led me along the path of using eBay to buy quilt tops for PPP. It sure is nicer than an old sheet! Thanks again everybody for that idea.

Caroline the DWR is one of my favorite patterns. I have one in a bin on my UFO shelf I'm thinking about pulling down and working on it when I finish my daughter's Wedding quilt. I am about a 1/3 of the way done piecing it together, I have all the materials cut for it. It will be 120" x 120" when finished and it is all black & white fabrics. I have yet to make a quilt for myself, this is going to be one I keep....if I ever finish it.

Wow Liam - that is quite an undertaking. I'd love to make one myself too, but I know I would never get it done. This eBay item was quite a find - I expected it to be falling apart.

I will go with everyone's advice and do the same design throughout. Now, to decide which one! I was thinking either the sunburst from CL (the squiggly lines), or a freehand feather. However, I've never done freehand feathers on a real quilt yet so I'm a bit worried - although practicing it 42 times on this quilt should make pretty good at it!

I will post a picture when I'm done, but it won't be until late August. Liam - I hope you show us yours too!

Caroline, I did the same thing! I've got a vintage DWR from ebay to practice...supposed to be a summer project but the summer seems to be slipping away! I thought I'd kept a pic from the forum on what I wanted to try on this quilt but I can't find it. I do remember that it was all "bump-bump" feathers and beautiful.

Must be the year for making the Double Wedding Ring. I have been wanting to make one, but dreaded cutting and piecing all those little sections. I found a paper pieced kit at a quilt show recently. The kit consists of all the printed foundation papers and instructions. The picture on the box showed one made in Batiks, so I am going to use Batiks and have been collecting those. This will be my "Iowa Blizzard" project. :D

Guest Linda S

I'd go for the one design too. You want to save your sampling for the funkier quilts you find on ebay. Believe me, I've had my share.

Archived