Career choices and quilting

What a wonderful way to end a very long day ;) I also wish that some day we could all get together what fun we would have .

I have not one degree in anything , was asked to start quilting maybe 15 yrs ago silly me I thought quilting was for little old ladies that could sit still for hours . That was not my cup of tea , I at the time had a young son to take care and sitting still for hours was not something that we did very often . I do not regret any of those days . Being a stay at home Mom was a wonderful joy . I took my first quilting class in 1999 3 yrs before my son graduated from high school then left for the Navy was happy for him but at

the same time sad for me for my life [what I spent yrs on ] just packed up and left . Being the adult I was sure I could handle anything . I raised him to be independent and all that jazz . Wow I now know what the term empty nest means .

At this point in my life I had pieced and applique many quilts , learned to hand quilt , spent 6 yrs hand quilting with a group of older ladies at a local church they used the money for repairs . Hand quilting brings a peace to my soul that can'tbe describe in words [like going to the ocean and listen to the power of the waves ] any way I then started looking at machine quilting for I was making alot of quilts , didn't enjoy quilting on my DM , never really tried oh I did quilt three tote bags on my DM . So here I am at the age of 49 this yr , just bought my millinnium in June . The rest of the story is history .

Will I ever have clients to quilt for ? One will never know for this is a very small town 1000 + maybe . I will have friends that I will quilt for , I will be able to quilt for my own , so yes I am a little crazy to spend so much on a toy ..... ;) but I will,repeat,will have fun , fun , fun .

One thing quilting has taught me , is how to use color to its fullest , I don't do math either thank gosh for DH . even he gets upsets at times . I really need to use both sides of my brain .

I am ready to move somewhere in a heart beat ! I will learn to drive in snow if I have to :D

Thanks again for wonderful chat and very diverse storys , we all have the love of quilting to bring us together no matter how or why we got here . Good night ladies

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You all know my math skills, but I don't think I told you about me.

I have always want to learn to quilt. My grandmother was a quilter, but my mom was not. My grandmother couldn't really see very well by the time I was old enough to sew - which was junior high - my mom worked in a garment factory - was a very accomplished seamstress - but the last thing she wanted to do was look at a sewing machine when she got home from work - besides, she knew about my math skills so she probably did not want to tackle 5/8":D

I married 2 days after graduation from high school and had my son 11 months later - then my daughter 15 months after that - figured out what caused that and put a stop to it;)

As it turns out it was an abusive marriage and it lasted 8 years - because I thought he would change - he did - he got worse. We divorced and I raised my kids for 8 years on our own. What a trip - I admire single parents who are raising their kids.

I met my DH as a blind date - after 8 years of being single I had decided no more blide dates - then my aunt called and said that they wanted to introduce me to my uncle's boss. It is all history from there. I drove 150 miles for a blind date - now it sounds like desperation:D:D

I learned to piece quilts in 2001, but wanted to do more. Anyway, it was my DH that decided we should buy the quilting machine and when he said the Millie - I was on the phone to Carla so quick his head was spinning!!

I have been at it for just over 2 years and what an experience. It is starting to be fun.....and I have learned so much. And I am so glad we made this decision.

That's all. Now you all know me as well as I know me;)

My, my, what a well-rounded group you are! I attended no college, no art background, tried a painting class once and walked out after 5 minutes. Absolultey can't draw stick people so that's a bit of a challenge in this business, but I do know numbers, I have sold real estate for over 13 years - still do - I also went back to work just recently when my DH was about to lose his job (ex Northwest Airlines Mechanic) and we looked like we may be needing insurance. Found the perfect job, three mornings a week at the MRI unit at the local hospital. I get patients, get them set up on the table, do some of the computer work, and change the table out between patients - love the job. Found out we didn't need the insurance after all but decided to stay on. My sister and I also own and operate a mini-storage unit so I'm quite busy. Feel often that I wish I had an art background - but it's just taking me a bit longer. Nice to see the diversity of our group.

I went to two years of college, then got married. I worked in the insurance industry for 22 years with last position CFO of a large Insurance Agency. I was burnt out on insurance so I went to work for Xerox . At Xerox I sold facility management and solutions to hospitals, schools/colleges , utilties. For the last 5 years I covered a territory of Amarillo TX, El Paso Tx, Las Cruces, Albuquerque and Santa Fe New Mexico. Living out of a suitcase during the week and then driving from Albuquerque to Durango Colorado on Friday afternoon and returning to Abq on Sunday. ( I live in Durango) I just retired the middle of May from Xerox. My longarm business is Quilting by the Animas and I have signed on as the factory rep for Altos Quiltcut in Colorado and New Mexico.

I have quilted since 1980. My first quilt was made with card board templates and scissors. I hand pieced and hand quilted it. No one ever told me your first project should be small so this quilt was a Queen size comforter. (Can we all say "what were your thinking?")

I got my millie a year ago but had no time to play until I retired. I am still intimidated by the beautiful work I see on this site. But I am PPP to get my confidence up.

I want to thank everyone on this site for their willingness to share their knowledge with new longarmers.

Sonja Hammond

Quilting by the Animas

Durango, Co

Hi all...well, I guess I will finally fess up. I'm a cop. I've been at my job for almost 14 years. I've had 2 surgeries because of an injury at work. So...I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to work at my current profession. My coworkers know me as the "quilting cop."

I've sewn since I was 3 years old. I've always quilted, mostly for gifts, but I can't even count how many I've made. Now I'm really having fun. I can quilt much bigger quilts a lot easier. My mom is an awesome quilter. She's always hand quilted. She has many quilt tops. I've started on hers as well as my own, working them in between customers. I've also been teaching my 8 year old daughter to sew. Her first project was a quilt and it turned out so beautiful no body believes a kid made it.

Quilting is my therapy really is my motto. When you have a stressful job, it's great to have something creative and completely different to do, (even when I'm quilting for other cops). Believe it or not, there are a few of us who do other things and don't live the job!

AS FOR ME, I HAVE NO DEGREE. AFTER HIGH SCHOOL, I WENT STRAIGHT TO WORK. I STARTED IN RETAIL, THEN MOVED FROM CALIFORNIA TO COLORADO AND BECAME A RANCH HAND AT NOT ONE, BUT TWO HORSE RANCHES. I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT HORSES. THE FIRST TIME IT SNOWED, I WAS OUT THERE LITERALLY DIGGING TRAILS FOR THE HORSES SO THEIR FEET WOULDN'T GET COLD. BOY DID EVERYONE GET A LAUGH AT THAT ONE. BUT IN TIME, I LEARNED THE ROPES AND WAS THE TOP HAND FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS. THEN I MET BOB (MY HUSBAND OF 13 YEARS NOW) AND HE WANTED ME TO STAY AT HOME, BUT AFTER A WHILE I GOT BORED SO WENT BACK TO RETAIL. I CASHIERED AT A LOCAL WHOLESALE CLUB AN THEN TRANSFERRED INTO THE MEAT DEPT. I WORKED MY WAY INTO THE ASSISSTANT MANAGER POSITION AND WAS A FULL FLEDGED MEAT CUTTER. (GO FIGURE) OF COURSE, IKNEW NOTHING ABOUT THIS OCCUPATION WHEN I STARTED IT. BUT AGAIN, IN TIME I FIGURED IT OUT AND WAS PRETTY DARN GOOD AT IT. THEN CAME THE KIDS. WE WERE TOLD AFTER 6 LONG YEARS OF TRYING THAT WE WOULD NEVER HAVE CHILDREN. WELL, I DON'T LISTEN VERY WELL. OF COURSE I COULD HAVE KIDS, I ADOPTED MAKENNA IN NOVEMBER OF 1999. I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT CARING FOR A BABY BUT I BECAME PRETTY GOOD AT IT. SO GOOD THAT I SURPRISED EVERYONE. MYSELF INCLUDED. IN JUNE OF 2000, I GAVE BIRTH TO KELLY. 2MONTHS PREMATURE, BUT HEALTHY. SO MY GIRLS ARE 6 1/2 MONTHS APART. ( DON'T TELL ME I CAN'T DO SOMETHING.) I'VE STAYED AT HOME WITH MY GIRLS SINCE DAY ONE. I DECIDED I NEEDED A HOBBY AND CHOSE QUILTING. THE PROBLEM WAS, (YOU GUESSED IT) I'D NEVER USED A SEWING MACHINE IN MY LIFE. LET ALONE HAND STITCH. BOB BOUGHT ME A NEW SEWING MACHINE FROM SEARS. WE OPENED THE MANUAL AND HAD TO LOOK AT THE DIAGRAM TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THE ON SWITCH WAS. IT TOOK BOTH OF US TO FIND IT. AFTER WATCHING MY FIRST EPISODE OF SIMPLY QUILTS, I WAS INSPIRED TO MAKE A RAIL FENCE QUILT. I MADE ONE FOR MAKENNA. THEN FOR KELLY. MY SISTER TAUGHT ME HOW TO QUILT THEM ON MY MACHINE. THAT WAS TO COOL. BUT I REALIZED THAT I DIDN'T LIKE THE PIECING PART. I HAD TAUGHT MYSELF HOW TO DO IT, BUT THE QUILTING PART WAS MY PEACE. (EVEN ON MY LITTLE SEARS SEWING MACHINE) . THEN AGAIN , I SAW THE APQS ADVERTISEMENT ON ONE OF THE SIMPLY QUILTS EPISODES. I HAD NEVER EVEN HEARD OF A LONGARM MACHINE. BUT I KNEW THAT I HAD TO HAVE ONE. IT'S BEEN ABOUT A YEAR NOW AND LAST WEEK MY GREEN MILLENIUM WAS DELIVERED. I'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR ABOUT A WEEK NOW. OTHER THAN AT THE MACHINE SEMINARS, I'VE NEVER USED A LONGARM. FUNNY THING THOUGH, MY BIGGEST FEAR WAS LOADING THE QUILT. (MYRNA TO THE RESCUE!!!THANK-YOU SO MUCH) AT FIRST , IT DIDN'T LOOK SO GOOD, BUT TONIGHT I WAS PRACTICING FEATHERS AND THEY LOOKED PRETTY GOOD. I LOAD MY FIRST REAL QUILT TOMARROW. I GUESS WHAT I AM GETTING AT IS, I'VE NEVER HAD A DEGREE, BUT I'VE BEEN LUCKY ENOUGH TO TRY SOME INTERESTING CAREERS. AND I'VE NEVER LET ANYONE TELL ME I CAN'T. YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING IF YOU JUST TELL YOURSELF YOU CAN. IT'S NOT ALWAYS EASY. BUT IT'S ALWAYS WORTH THE JOURNEY.

THAT'S MY STORY.

HAVE A GREAT DAY ALL

LAURA FARNHAM

GREEN MILLENIUM

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO

Now a'days companies want people with "master" degrees, but are paying them entry level salaries.

My last 12 years was spend in Marketing and Call Center Management, and you all know where those call centers are now, right? Since I don't speak Bangladeesh, I'm in my basement quilting. Best Job I ever had.

Thanks APQS. (no I'm not making my big salary, but I don't have to wear torture hose, torture shoes, pay drycleaning bills, and put up with anyone's you know what...)

cynthia

Laura, you made me laugh....I'm with you, DON'T Tell me I can't do something...I'll prove ya wrong everytime, but if you ask I'll give ya the shirt off my back....

Also I would have had so much fun at your expence when you first hit the ranch (born and raised on a cattle ranch in Montana)....but now that you have earned your spurs we can gang up on the others. :P

And my highest regards to you MerryJo......be safe and happy quilting.

Okay, I'll jump in. Thought I wanted to be a secretary in high school. What was I thinking???? Ended up a secretary in a computer department of a large advertising company. I was sick of what I was doing and the programmers were all complaining also, but at a much higher salary. I figured if I was going to be bored, I rather be making more money. Greedy little me.

Got my associates in computer science and started programming. Most days, I actually like it but it can be very stressful. No husband, no kids, just me and the fur babies (two cats, one only five months old).

Made my first quilt by hand back in high school. Pre-rotary cutters. Mom had a sewing machine but I did the whole thing by hand. She quilted it the same way. After I bought my first house, it was broken into and yup, they took my quilt. It has taken me over twenty years to get back to piecing. And some of my pieces don't look so hot. When I make flying geese, they look drunk.

I love anything with fabric and fiber. I knit also. Love the textures and bright, in your face colors. I currently had a deposit down on a certified used Millie. This is going to be interesting. I still am having days where I think about backing out of the deal and question my santity, but I really want to do this. Right now, I am planning on having the beast delivered the week after labor day. Oh boy.... Deep breath.

Quiltfaerie - just don't back out - if you do - you will always wonder the

"what if". The great thing is - this forum and lots of helpful advice will be

here to help you along!:D You can do it - if you try!:P

Merry Jo - You have my respect and prayers. Thought back in highschool

that I wanted to be a cop, but then again - never thought I would fall in

love and get married either! But I am very lucky to have an awesome man,

a great marrige, healthy kids, paid-off house, and not a lot of extra monthly

bills.

I have a BA in Business, a MBA in Human Resourses, and 32 years as a UPS Manager. In my free time I try to do some sewing and quilting.

I currently have 5 quilts to finish up and two baby quilts to make.

I have 4 months left at my wonderful job at UPS....and then I can retire from that job. And starts my next, and more important job of quilting.

Good Stories:

Barb

Hi all-

I've always loved crafts, probably due to my mother's influence. Her specialty is Hardanger. I learned how to sew early, partly because it was cheaper than buying clothes readymade.

I started my first quilt during my second year of medical school, and it took my five years to complete, what with residency and beginning a family. It was a Star of Bethlehem - a little ambitious for a first quilt. My DH made me a quilting frame, which was the only piece of furniture in our formal living room for 3 years. I hand quilted wreaths in the muslim areas (not well, I have to admit.) Then we had 2 more boys, I began a Pediatric practice, and was too busy for much quilting for several years. I did take lessons in Tole painting from a patient's mother, and that taught me a lot about color and shading, contrast, etc.

I enjoyed knitting and spinning for a few years, then got back into quilting about 7 years ago. The boys are grown and in college, so I could take over a bedroom for a quilting studio. I bought a Millenium last October, and quit my Pediatric practice this May. It is great to be able to sleep all night, and I enjoy using my "creative" brain for a change. I'll never make as much money quilting, but my husband is willing to support me, and I am SO much more relaxed! (Although I do agonize over customer quilts and quilting designs.)

I too am happy to hear that many of you do not have degrees, and that they are not a necessity to develop your creativity. I only have grade 12 and a few courses in College, but mostly I learn what I can from other talented people, and books, but mostly from other people because I don't really like to spend time reading. I am more of a visual person, and try to figure out how other wonderful quilters have put their pieces of art together. Guess I need to find that book re: using the right side of your brian. I have always loved sewing since high school, we have 3 grown daughters and 1 grandaughter. I started quilting in 1981 when my first daughter was born and haven't stopped. I joined our towns local quilt quild and later took my turn and became president. I like to travel out of town and take classes (always makes my head spin), then when I come back home I am refreshed and ready to start new projects (my old ones then become UFO's). Thank you for instilling in me that I don't NEED TO HAVE any kind of a degree. I also felt that my education was not sufficient.

Janet

Janet,

You are like me, some high school education and some high school. I am so glad we all had this discussion. It seems like a lot of people had degrees in something and I thought I was trying to blaze this trail alone....I'm so glad you and all these other gals are out there.

Hi, this will be my first post. I loved reading what everyone does. I have a BA in Criminology with an emphasis on Law Enforcement. Presently, I don't work with the criminals, but I do work with kids that have issues. I am a para educator in the northern end of Minnesota. I really enjoy my job. I sure do like the fact that I have time to quilt and be creative. Many times, I will bring my creations to school and the kids just enjoy them. They can't find the "mistakes" and many of them think that I can just "whip" a quilt up by the next day...silly kids.

I must say that it is wonderful to read about everyone?s journey to LA Quilting.

I personally love talking about my recently former career??I am sure you can all tell this from my previous posts! I am still in withdrawal?I really loved my career, but it was time for a change, as Jerry Seinfeld said; ?leave on a high note.?

I was a professional interior designer for 15 years. I attended the International Academy of Merchandising and Design in Toronto in the late 80?s. I do think that my formal education has helped me with my quilting, but I also think that my quilting helped me with my career. It was a great combination. I believe that all the different jobs I have had through he years have helped me learn more than a formal education.

I?ll share what I learned for all the different jobs I have had through the years. Hold on it is a long read... !

When I was in college I worked for a 5 star hotel and a member?s only tennis club during the summers. I learned a lot about customer service and to check my problems at the door when going to work, clients do not want to here about your problems.

After college I had a number of career related jobs.

Kitchen Designer for 5 years; I learned a lot about how men and women shop and how in the end the guys just want there wives to be happy ?.. !

Later I worked for an office furnishing company as a project manager and designer. I learned how important the bottom line really is. That is all that matters to some people. I learned there is a balance required to achieve personal and professional success.

Then I move on to the biggest challenge of my career, I worked for an interior design firm that was noted for ?making the designers cry on a daily basis??.This was a great character builder and a reality check for me. I knew what I was getting into taking this job and I focused on why I was there. I got what I needed to advance my skills and got out. It really made me focus on what was important in life. I learned that balance between home and work is very important in what ever you do. I learned to be a quick thinker, always have a reason for making a decision, and how important it is to treat people nicely, no matter how much you may dislike them.

From there I moved on to one of the best interior design firms in our city. I did corporate interiors for 5 years. I gained the confidence and knowledge to know I could do anything they handed me. It was an amazing experience; I learned the responsibility of time & money management, and was responsible for making sure I was profitable in each project I was involved with. Time is money; use both wisely.

From there I ran the design department for a mid sized retailer for about a year, it was the best job in the world?..travel, freedom to experiment with different design elements and the support of a great boss ( and having the opportunity to understanding what made him a great boss) . With out a doubt changing jobs from a well known and respected design firm to a retailer was the hardest decision I made during my professional career. The time I spent in retail design gave me confidence in myself and my abilities as a designer that far surpassed my expectation.

I really believed that all life experiences will lead you down a great path if you listen to the lessons along the way. I had some crazy days along the way wondering if I could do it?I had an incredible mentor during a part of my journey. She told me once; "what did not kill you made you stronger," and she was right. I believe that no matter what path brought you to longarm quilting you are here for a reason.

To address Teresa?s original query; I do think that a formal education in design has helped me. Understanding of color relationships has helped me in quilting, and knowing the basic elements of good design. Althought I would not run out and enroll in college just to gain these skills.

You can pick up some good design books on color and the basic elements of design and learn from them. Then apply them in your daily life, beyond quilting. Like cooking, look at the different colors in food and different textures, look at how the different colors and textures interact when making cookies , cake and things like that?. Now I sound all artsy?.. You can take these basic principles and learn through observation how others have applied these principals successfully and sometimes not successfully. You can learn a lot from your environment. Especially the mall (that is my personal favorite) look at different design trends and find ways to incorporate them into your quilting. It is a lot more fun than school and a lot cheaper!

Thanks Teresa for starting this thread, It has been a wonderful read.;)

KB

Archived