Sewer's Aid

Apply Sewer's aid to your thread. It will moisturize it and keep it from breaking. The silicon keeps the heat generated by the passage of the thread through the needle in our industrial machines from breaking the thread.

I apply in many lines down the cone and also put some on the bobbin thread. Re-apply to the cone when you run out of bobbin thread. Some will saturate a bit of batting with Sewer's Aid and push it into a thread guide to apply the silicon as the thread feeds through. I have never been successful with this method, though.

I use on cotton thread especially, but also find it helpful with poly.

Jess , I use a silicone spray on thread and it works great ... I do take it out side and spray , I don't spray any thing around my machine . sewers aid is great but cost so much more for what you get . This has worked for me , hope maybe someone else might find it handy ..pat

I use Sewers Aid on threads of all kinds, the thread guides, the cotton in the first hook the thread goes thru.. run the thread under the cotton and it stays right there.

I also occasionally use the spray on the surface of a quilt thats giving me trouble. I only spray an area about 15" by 15" at the most. (impossible to spray a 2 foot area on the frame. Don't know where I was last night.. dreaming, I guess, so I just changed it to the correct measurement.

As for using oil on my thread.. t'won't neber neber do.. nuh uh, no way, just the thought of oil on the thread or fabric curls my toes!

Originally posted by Butterfly

Another longarmer in the area says she uses machine oil instead. She actually submerges her cones and lets them dry. Never has a problem with breakage. What do you all think of that?

Jess

I'm with Rita on this one.

Sharon Schamber uses a container of silicon (not oil) and submerges the cone before use. This is somewhat of an industry standard in the sewing factories.

But machine oil would never "dry" and would continue to attract lint from batting and dust in the air--eventually I think the thread would not be usable and might actually cause a build-up of gunk in the machine. Just my opinion--I have never tried it and am too afraid to experiment!:o

There was some discussion last year about mineral oil (not machine oil) and there never was anyone who admitted to trying it out.:)

I was told a few years back, that there is a silicone, liquid, that comes in quart bottles.. It didn't have the Sewers Aid brand name. Anyway, I have searched and searched, and can't find it on the quilt sites..

Wish I knew for sure, as it supposedly is considerably less in cost.. does the same thing. Garment Sewing companies supposedly use it..

Archived