HELP!!!Machine Insurance info needed

I have the APQS Millennium......my insurance is almost $700. a year.

What are you doing for your insurance?

I know there must be something cheaper out there and still cover my machine.

If you have an agent or are an agent ...Please send name and number..

Thanks a million,

Starla

Mine is just listed under our Homeowner's policy with the value, etc. If there was any extra charge, it was very little. My insurance company has a photo of it. We have American Family Insurance. I KNOW it didn't cost anywhere near $700. Our is actually a Farmowner's policy which covers our home, all the outbuildings, contents, liability. We have my machine, my hearing aids and my DH gun collection all listed with values under "contents". Hope this helps.;)

Vicki we have USAA too and they just added a rider to our policy. The last time this topic came up I had hubby call to follow up on it. He was told that the rider covered my equipment and customers on our property. I'm with Starla it is all confusing. I have had hubby call twice about this issue. I don't want to find out when it is too late that something isn't covered. I'm sure hubby would do some major battle with them but I don't want to head down that path. We have had USAA for a long time and any claim has always been handled quickly and with no problems. Hubby just had a car accident on Monday and within an hour they had him set up with collison repair. Can't beat their service.

Starla,

This is Jane and my other job is an insurance agent. There are a lot of factors involved. Does this policy also cover the mobile home? Other business property besides the Millie? I see you have the IQ, does it cover the IQ and lost computer info? Does it cover only purchased software or patterns ? Each circumstance can be different and each company handles business property and business liability differently. Some offer a business endorsement to a homeowners subject to limitations, such as have less then $10,000 a year for gross income. If you are not in the business and only quilting for yourself, then it is covered under personal property. But if you are in business, then you would need the business endorsement if the company offers it, or an actual separate business policy. The best thing to do is find a really good agent that will figure out what is best for you and your specific circumstances.

If you have a farm policy, they are usually pretty willing to add the coverage and not charge much - as they already have a pretty good charge for liability and pricing is based more on a commercial policy already.

If you have homeowners policy with the home business endorsement - it can be pretty good coverage for a smaller business, but it usually has lots of limitations. Be sure to know those limitations - ask your agent for a comparison of coverage between the home business endorsement and a business owners Policy (BOP). And then decide the coverages you need such loss of income, mechanical breakdown, replacement cost, property of others coverage, etc.

It is all very confusing - especially with a home business. You need a good agent that will really help you!!! Good Luck!!

When the RV was our full time home, with lots of traveling.. Our agent gave us the name and number of a company that only deals with umbrella policys. Big Rv's= Accident = BIG BUCKS, so we had a 250,000 umbrella policy.. It relieves the mind.

We are with National General, I think it is,, and they've been good to cover damages to the RV, but..... I do not know if it would/could cover something like the quilting business, or the equipment, materials and notions, add-on's that many of us have..

Don't even know if I can get hubby to find a cashed check or a bill for them.. would be interested to find out if it would/could be separate from the homeowners policy..

We are supposed to be covered for all our equipment and business needs, but I'm thinking it would be good to ask them to send a copy of the whole policy.. we got it in pieces...

Our mobile beach house is covered by " Foremost Ins." They specialize in Mobile homes and Rec. V. used as homes or businesses. We've never had to file a claim but know people who have...they were happy and treated well. This ins advertises in AARP mag. We are paying about $200 less per year with way more coverage than what our other Ins co. quoted plus we have replacement value, our other ins co said beings it was an old mobile we couldn't get replacement value ins. Just another option for you.

Terry

I have Nationwide for my home and our cars (2 policies). Our agent said my business could not be covered by Nationwide - period.

Several others told me they had Nationwide coverage for their quilting business, so I called Nationwide's main office and was told there are certain situations and some are and some are not covered and they did not understand why our agent just said no. In the end, I still have Nationwide, but I have a 3rd policy which is just for my business and it is with a different agent. My machine is covered and quilts in my possession (car and home) are covered. I do not have people coming into my home, as I drive and pick up quilts at my LQS or Guild, so it does not cover "slip & fall." I pay $51.88 per month X 12 = $622.56. It seems like a lot, but I got such a run around as I called insurance companies, I got so discouraged after trying for several months to get answers, that I gave up and took what I could get. Most agents told me I did not need to worry about insuring customer quilts and I should just insure my machine for about $50 extra a year on my home owners. One guy laughed at me when I said I was concerned about getting sued by an angry customer becasue they might feel I ruined their quilt. Hecould not understand that at all. In fact, he was very rude!

Hopefully, I will never need to file a claim, but I should be protected if I do.

My homeowners wouldn't let me put a sign advertising my company on my land. So I purchased a commercial policy through Allstate that covers my LA and all of my various DM, thread and other supplies. Mine is $540.00 per year, but also has liability coverage for customers.

I'm also an insurance agent. . . before just adding a home business endorsement you need to ask you agent if they will cover liability for customers that come to your home if they slip and fall or injure themselves in some way.

Before you put a sign up with your business check to make sure that won't void your homeowners policy.

Like mentioned above you need to sit down with your agent and explain everything. Be up front and honest and they should help you in every way possible. If they cannot help you maybe they can stear you towards another company that can.

Thank you Jane. That was very sweet of you to say.

I think the guy who laughed was thinking of his great grandmother sitting around the church basement with her church ladies and a needle and thread. Who would sue? It is hard for some people to understand what these machines are all about, and what our business really is.

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the response.... I sure wish you could be my agent!!!!

My mobile home and our home is on our rural property ( 5 acres ). We have a homeowners policy ( they do not cover mobile homes ). The mobile home has its own policy that covers the mobile home itself and liabilty and contents ...such as usual living contents. Then I have a Bailey's Marine policy that covers big equipment for my Millie and the cost of my Intelliquilter.....I do not know if it would cover all the patterns that I have purchased or software. I do not know if it covers anything like mechanical breakdown....loss of income.....WOW. I need help!

I just do not know all the right things to say or ask.

Thank you so very much

Originally posted by sandradarlington

Thank you Jane. That was very sweet of you to say.

I think the guy who laughed was thinking of his great grandmother sitting around the church basement with her church ladies and a needle and thread. Who would sue? It is hard for some people to understand what these machines are all about, and what our business really is.

That is so true!!! Please I urge all of you to make your insurance agent listen to you!! make come and see your machines and see this a business. Cover the computer if you have one and purchased designs, talk about people coming on your property, are you dependent on the income, if so you will need loss of income.

When Dave & I were first starting this biz, our banker kept referring to this as our "Hobby". We found a new banker who took us seriously. These machines are big money. Our new banker came to our house and took a look at Millie - he said this is serious - it is a CNC machine for thread. We know we found the right one- same for your insurance agent - keep looking until you find someone that will take you serious - we are no longer in the church basement using scraps of shirts and dresses .

Well - off of my soap box!!!!

Good luck!!

Archived