Quiltezoid or Circle lord

EDITED, Mon. 20 Dec. 2010

Personally, I'd pick the QZ.

I 've been checking and hear from some owners of the machine, NOT the Qz, that they need or needed pieces of cardboard and wood shimms to make it work. I do NOT know that for fact... but I certainly trust and believe the person who told me.

I Have the QZ, hate working from the back of the machine, since I get sorta squished in.. so to be able to use it from the front, is wonderful.. I can also see a lot easier with it right close to being on the quilt, just what it or we are doing.

I love their prices, ease of use, hard work of the owners, etc.

Try to do an analysis of the two side by side, the paper info I mean.. and see which features are important to you, and which aren't then tally at the end.. Be sure to check ease of set up and ease of used..

Sorry folks.. steroids do all kinds of nasty things with my brain, thinking, etc.. did NOT intend to defame the QZ Sorry, Linda and Adam.

Ritar

The Circle Lord doesn't use cardboard or shims, there is a base that is 12" x 24" that is set between the quilt top roller and the leveler bar and it is used from the front of the machine. There is a huge selection of templates available - about 30 design templates that mount on the basic Circle Lord unit that can be stitched from the front, and 20 giant templates of continuous designs.

There has been a lot of discussion comparing Circle Lord vs. QZ vs. Hartley Fence. Here's two, and if you search you will find more.

http://apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=21161&page=1#pid257293

http://apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=19658&page=1#pid233978

The Circle Lord is made in Canada by Michael, himself, and he offers a money back guarantee. He is constantly introducing new templates and has sponsored contests with winners receiving credit toward templates. A big contest earlier this year had 372 quilts entered. You can view them here, and click on the links on the sidebar for the months of Jan, Feb and Mar, to view more quilts. This will give you an idea for just some of the things that can be done with the Circle Lord and templates.

http://circlelordchallenge.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=50

Good luck with your decision, I know it is a big one.

Carmen is right there have been lots and lots of past comparisons. I'm sure you will find lots of feedback on both systems. I'm a Quiltazoid girl. Love it and wouldn't be without it. For me the major differences were cost, ease of use and options. When I started using the QZ I did not have any intention of using it from the back. At that time CL did not have a front system. I find the QZ so easy to use and I don't think the price can be beat. The arm adjustments are different and the spirograph unit is unique to the QZ. You simply insert a gear and then stitch your design, where with the CL you step the design. You can also use templates like this with the QZ as well but I think they take a lot longer. You can also get some really cool looking celtic designs. There are an infinit number of designs available when you buy just the QZ and the spirograph. You can also buy other design boards from other vendors as well as from Adam and Linda. The stylus I have found works very well with R&S and Urban Elemntz and does not require another stylus. If you have somebody nearby go take them for a test drive and see which one you prefer. If you email Adam he will be happy to send you a demo dvd.

I also have the QZ - actually just the Econozoid (without the spiro attachment). I love the ease of use and versatility and the cost. They are made in Iowa and I live in Iowa, so that was also a deciding factor for me. As mentioned before, you need to research, ask questions, watch the videos if you can. They both have their good points and it's all up to what you prefer.

I have the Circle Lord and love the big "K'Ching" boards that are used from the back. They are fast and easy. I use the other smaller templates from the front. Like it was mentioned, there used to be a piece of cardboard that was used to hold the weight of the templates when used from the front but Michael has since changed that to something more professional looking.

You will see that the QZ users love their system and the CL users love theirs. I think both are probably equally excellent products. You will need to do the research and take in all the factors including location, warranty, support, templates, ease of use, etc. and then make an informed decision. However, whichever you choose I'm sure you will be happy.

I've read lots of posts about CL and QZ and nowhere did I ever see anyone switching from one to another or regretting the system they bought. It is like your LA machine. The Gammill users love their Gammills and us APQS folk - well, we love our machines! You just get used to the one you have and become 'one' with it and never look back..

Good luck and happy researching!

• 10 months later...

I don't chime in very often but I really think that you have to make your decision according to type of designs you are looking for. I owned the CL prior to my computer days and absolutely loved it as well as the service provided by Michael - he is absolutely the best!!! I tested the QZ and saw the potential but wasn't overly impressed at that point. Since the test drive period, I understand that it is now a top notch product and any criticism I might have had is no longer valid. Carefully look at the designs offered by each vendor and make your selection accordingly. What type of designs attract you most or might attract your customers the most? Both are good products and I am sure you will be pleased with either choice.

Archived