flying to new orleans...any good quilts shops?

Kristina,

There have been 2 shops open in New Orleans (or near NOLA) this past year. I do not know the names of those shops but you could probably google. If you want to go across the lake to Mandeville, there is a fabulous shop, Bright Hopes. That shop is worth the trip.

Sandra

So sorry to hear about your Grandma, Kristina.

The Quilt Cottage (uptown, corner of Nashville & Magazine) was always nice, I hope it is still there. I went back about a year and a half ago, the city looked pretty good. A lot of damage was (probably is) still visible out in the lower Ninth & such, but Uptown & the Quarter were largely spared & are bouncing back nicely. Restaurants as fabulous as ever & incredibly cheap.

The Quilt Cottage closed after Katrina. One of the owners moved and the other one passed away about a year after the hurricane. It was a very nice store.

Catherine,

Lower 9th ward is still bad. I was in the quarter earlier this month -- the city just feels different -- you would probably only notice if you live in or are from Louisiana or the surrounding area.

I went to Muriel's for lunch (right down from Cafe Dumonde' and had afternoon tea at the Windsor Court. It was a beautiful day!

Sorry to hear about your Grandma too...

Good to know - We will be driving down end of Jan. and I was going to ask the same thing.

It actually smelled like spring here today - 36 degrees - but the freezing rain is going to start tonight and into tomorrow, then snow on Friday then frigid temps all next week.

Archived