Thread path on bead boards and piano keys

Just a quick question to the experts out there.

When you do piano keys or bead boards (with a ruler - I have no channel lock) when you travel in the ditch to the next key or board, there is then every other key that has not been travelled in the ditch. Do any of you then go back and stitch in the ditch continuously to fill in the gaps, or do you just leave it as every other one in the ditch???

Hope that question makes sense.

And how do you avoid tiny tucks in the backing when travelling back towards the main part of the quilt? as I was finding on a recent quilt that it was pushing the backing in towards the main quilt, whereas on the stitching going towards the outside of the quilt it puckered the backing slightly on the backing which I had to unpick and do again. Perhaps I didnt have enough tension on the backing with the side clamps?

Just wondering how you all go with this.

Many thanks :)

I've tried 2 ways of doing piano keys. The first way is as you described, Jeanette. The second way, and this is now the way I usually do them, is to start at the edge of the quilt border and stitch towards the inside of the quilt body, then back out on the same stitch line, as in double stitching the same line. Then I just freehand stitch across the batting to the next spot and repeat. Before I do the piano keys, I SID the seam between the border and the body of the quilt. I also baste the edge of the top before I do this stitching, to try to keep it taught enough so I don't get any tucks.

I suppose another way to do this is to start at the seam and stitch to the outer edge, then stitch back to the border, SID to the next spot and repeat. That way you would not need to SID first, as you would do it as you cross the quilt top. Maybe that would be less likely to cause tucks, too. Humm....I wonder what our experts will say.

Thanks. I did have the top basted (Cant remember actually if I had my clamps on so it could be that) It was a very large quilt for my frame and not too much room left for clamps.

Doing a double stitching line sounds good - although I am not sure if I would hit the same spot twice with using the ruler, and travelling across the batting, or bead boards where the stitch in the ditch is only 1/4 inch (or however wide you want it) I think I might try that next time.

It did end up looking good - but I had too many stop starts.

I always - always - always do ALL of the ditch. Can't stand it when quilts are done "fast and easy" with only some or part of the ditch work done. Looks so sloppy to me. Never have the pucker problem. I agree, sounds like you are holding down the ruler too tight maybe.

Just my opinion - then again - I LOVE SID!

(would embroider that on an apron for me to wear when quilting but I can just hear my husband asking who is this guy named Sid??) :cool:

For piano keys only - I sid the entire border first, then piano key, going over the sid to travel as needed, every other one. Using bottom line as the bobbin thread really helps in these areas.

However, I prefer beadboard as I can sid and beadboard at the same time - I just dbl sid the small area at the seam, move along the seam to where the next vertical line starts, out to the border, over 1/4 inch, then back down to the seam area, sid to the left 1/4", side to the right....and go up again....

For piano keys, I don't dbl stitch over the line, it's too thread heavy for me but if I was using So Fine or Bottom Line I expect that would be fine - it's all personal preference.

Hi Janette,

I always SID first too.......I also use a ruler....you can fudge a little more with a ruler if necessary, (even though I have channel locks).....it can be done with channel locks too of course....I like the look of SID it gives better definition to the whole quilt and makes for a double sided quilt.....did I say I like the backs of quilts...almost better than the front...lol...!

Sometimes I do the piano keys/beadboard first, then after the quilt is done do a blanket stitch around the border seam with a decorative or blanket stitch from my pfaff. It adds a little extra and I don't have to SID on my longarm. I don't think I very good at SID yet and that's why I try to avoid it.

I did think of SID on my DSM afterwards as I am spot on with that, not so much on the longarm though! ! Although I suppose I should just practice more with the longarm. It is OK in most places, but as I am too critical of my work and not happy with a couple of spots where am too far out in the border. Invisible thread next time !!

I prefer doing beadboard for this reason. I start on the edge of the quilt go to the SID line then move over about 1/8 inch and go back out to the edge of the quilt. The tucks you are talking about are what I think I get because my hopping foot pushes the fabric into the line SID so I just take my left hand and work the fabric back away from the end where I am going to met the other line of stitching. Clear as mud right?

Archived