Ideas for a wedding quilt?

A customer brought this quilt today. It is a wedding gift for her son, who she described as a minimalist. I have never quilted anything like this. When I do a Google search on modern or minimalist quilts, I see a lot of lines and simple waves. I do not yet have any toys for my machine...so we are talking free motion. Any ideas?

post--13461905527968_thumb.jpg

I would keep the quilting very geometric and simple. SIMPLE. Stitch in ditch along inside of the seams with dark gray thread that sinks into the background. You want texture more than you want the thread to show. I would do straight horizontal lines that line up and meet up with the horizontal sashing strips in the borders. And then turn the quilt on its side and quilt the vertical lines the same. It would be effective and go with the design of the patchwork.

I think Shana has a very good idea. I would do straight SID lines around the colored fabrics with dk gray thread and maybe chalk straight lines so you don't have to do ""straight"" lines thru the gray background, but a very small wiggle line and the chalked line would just help you keep the wiggle line straight. Just another idea. It would put a bit more texture into the background.

I can't wait to see how this looks when it is finished. I'm a bit of a contemporary quilt lover, so I'm going to save this to my fav's. I would love this quilt haning in my living room (but done in more tropical colors). ;)

Archived