help! timing!

carolinequilts

I'm trying to time my machine. I adjusted the hook collar and now the hook assembly is too close to the needle. I've loosened the 3 screws on the hook collar but cannot seem to rotate or push the hook assembly at all (like it says in the instructions). I'm afraid I have made a real mess. Anyone ever time their machine? Should the hook assembly just rotate easily after the screws are loose? Do I have to take the screws right out?

You don't need to remove the screws completely.

You may need to loosen the hook assembly on the spindle by using two large screwdrivers to get some leverage. Instructions on where to insert the ends of the screwdrivers are in the manual. You place them behind the assembly and twist the ends until the assembly is unstuck. Sometimes when the screws are tightened "man tight" at the factory, a gouge is dug into the spindle by each screw and it's hard to get the assembly to move. Once it is off the spindle, use a strip of sandpaper to sand down the gouges. Then sliding the assembly back on the spindle is easier.

Good luck--you can do this!;)

Thank you Linda - I'm going to try this now. I had to 'remove myself' from the studio for a bit and take a walk - or else I might have been picking up the machine and throwing it! I do have new instructions from Dawn and I have removed the hook finger. So I guess I just need some muscle.

Yes - those screws were 'man tightened'. My man had to untighten them!

Oh, Caroline,

I can't help you but I just wanted you to know someone out here heard your cry and can feel your pain. Get out of the room take a deep breath. Put your feet up. Have a cup of tea or cocoa preferably liberally laced with an "adult beverage". Then come back an check the forum in an hour or so and hopefully TA DAH the answer will be here.

Ok, so I think (from reading though some posts) that I have disengaged the shaft from the gears. :mad: Does anyone know if this is something I can fix? If not, I'm bracing myself for the worst. I've checked Google maps - it is a 13 hour drive to Iowa!! :D And, I have already emailed my customers that there will be a delay with their quilts.

So I'm depressed. :( So what. It will blow over and things will be back to normal before I know it. I've just poured myself a big glass of wine (even though it is still pretty early in the day) :o and plan on spending the rest of the day eating chocolate and watching my recorded soaps... :) Until this is cleared up, maybe I can even do some piecing - or bind my lovely DWR... Lot's of opportunity here! Maybe not so bad afterall.. :)

Always look for the bright side! :cool: It's there somewhere, lurking in the shadows..

Thanks Heidi (and everyone else).

Dawn called (on the way home, but ear phones on). She's so great to get back to me on a Saturday, but I suspect my phone call probably sounded rather urgent!

She agrees that it sounds like I disengaged the gear shaft. Amy might be able to help me on Monday, but there is also a good chance I will have to send my machine in. Once I come to grips with that, it can't be a bad thing. I've been quilting a lot lately and neglecting other things, so maybe this is a sign to take a break and do something else. I can deal with that - I only feel back for my customers. I have 30 quilts in my backlog and they are the ones that this will affect the most.

Caroline, I know exactly how you feel. Last fall I (stupidly) sucked a cleaning cloth into the hook assembly, causing a clicking noise in the gear box. Really thought I was going to have to ship my head to Iowa - it's a LOT longer than a 13-hour drive from here! I wound up opening up the gear box, scooping out all the grease, cleaning out all the remainder of the grease, then visually examing the gears. I was lucky - no damage, probably an air bubble from the sudden stop of the hook assembly. I really don't know whether re-positioning the gear shaft is something you can do yourself - you'll have to find that out from Amy - but if you need on-the-phone help, don't hesitate to call me.

Thanks Barb. Since my shaft is just sliding back and forth now and turning, I'm pretty sure something is disengaged on the inside. Maybe when I call Amy tomorrow we can try something like opening the gear box and it will be somethiing I can fix here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. BTW - I finally go the hook assembly off, I sanded the shaft a bit, but still when I put it back on it gets stuck again.

Archived