when do you say "No more"??

I just turned down a customer, and it's killing me. I really want to do the quilt for her, but I don't think I can get it done on time.

I still have quilts that were given to me to "practice" on, over a year ago! That's embarrassing!

The only way I can think of to get out from under my long list of "quilts to do", is to stop taking more in and focus on getting the list done.

Does anyone else have this problem? I realize it's a good problem to have, but still...it's hard to turn customers away.

I too have that problem. I was so overwhelmed a few years back, I had a one year waiting list. I found that some of the customers were starting to get mad at me for having their quilt "too long". After that year, things seemed to start coming in at a more reasonable pace, although I'm beginning to think that this year will be different again. I usually get a break in the take in part in Jan and Feb. this year that didn't happen. Iv'e been steady and things are beginning to pile up again for me. I just keep plunking away and things seem to work out somehow. You have to do what is good for you, and if you feel too overwhelmed, then it's time for you to say no for awhile. Even if it's just a week or two, it will make you feel better in the long run and you will end up getting more done that way.

I'm there too!!! I just finished one that I actually had for 2 years - yep 2 years....although she kept giving me more quilts and asking me to bump that one back to do each newer one. It seems that I stay 2-3 months out no matter how hard I try to get caught up. I have started to tell people that quality takes time...and there are others they can go to as well....I actually got down to 6 quilts once but then they rolled in again....I am not complaining, just trying to get them done on a quicker turn around..

I have one quilt that I have had in my possession for nearly 6 months..and it is killing me. I am trading e2e quilting for a vintage 301 singer machine with trapezoid cabinet. my friend has a second quilt ready to be quilted...and I keep thinking, "how can I...i haven't even done the first one!" I should get off here and get to quilting...but tomorrow is another day.

I think part of my problem is I get nervous to quilt for others. I don't do it often...so out almost scares me. Yes, you "heard" me right. Some things do scare me!

My advice is to decide on how many quilts you can do in a month and plug each quilt into a set spot. If you can handle two a week, schedule every one you have in-house on a calendar. Firmly schedule those "practice" ones as well or they will weigh on your mind. See how far out you are booked.

When someone calls, tell them your next opening is in Quiltober. If they are willing to take that spot, have them keep the top until the month before. The first week of that month call all your Quiltober customers to schedule intake and remind them of backer and batting requirements. Set up intake times and get them all in before the first of their month. Then you can decide the order you will do the tops.

On occasion, you will have a drop out. Then you can bump someone up or do something of your own.

If your customer is aware of the back-log, they are more willing to wait, rather than having some vague "when-I-get-to-it" time to expect their quilt back.

I have continually been amazed at quilters who think it's OK for a longarmer to have their property for an extended time without some deadline to meet. That seems like the quilter is greedy (wants all the quilts they can pile up) but is very disrespectful of the customer. Just my opinion......;)

I do my list much the same way Linda does. I too am booked out many months, actually right now my July/Aug is full. When customers call I let them know where they are on the list. I don't take any quilts until 2 weeks before I'm ready for them that way I don't have to worry about them hanging out. I've been doing this for almost 3 years now and it really has worked out well for me. I ask the customer about their quilt. Do they want custom or e2e? What size is the quilt? Is it a super special quilt or just one they want done? I've only had a few customers drop out over almost 3 years and most are very happy that my estimate day is usually pretty close. Right now I'm behind. Not sure how I got there but I did. I just can't seem to get things done these days like I was. I just keep plugging along though.

I schedule as Linda mentioned, too. I know approximately how long it takes for a queen custom, compared to a queen E2E. I reserve the number of weeks I need. When I meet with a customer, I will let them know when my next available spot is and can tell them approximately how long it will take me to quilt it.

I did turn town a customer in December who needed a quilt done for a Christmas gift, because I knew I couldn't get it done in time for her. She was disappointed, but was very understanding. Did I mention that 2 of those weeks were reserved for me to bake Christmas cookies and shop? No. I just said my schedule was full, and in all honesty, it was. This was the only way I could get in what I needed to do. Did I miss her money? Yes, of course I did, but I felt my family expectations were more important.

Thanks for the booking advice, I do keep a calender and have quilts plugged into weeks/days depending on what they need done, I try to plug in an extra day now and then for when I run into unexpected frogging, etc. I just have some that know they are 2 or 3 months out but then after one month start calling and hoping that it might be ready, they are usually ok after I remind them of when it is scheduled, I think they are just excited to see their quilt again.

I too never seem to keep to a schedule when it comes to quilting. Besides being backed logged for weeks, they keep coming in. I also owna quilt shop and do all of the samples for the store. Some times (more often than I like) only the quilt top gets hung in the store not quilted! I have some customers who bring in 2-3 quilts a month and say "fit it in whenever". It certainly puts the pressure on to leave them till later. Then the guilt sets in. I am booking now for May. I try to do one quilt a day. Sometimes I can do 2 smaller ones. I have heard of longarmers who give their clients a date to bring their quilt in and it is done the next day. NO WAY will that happen with me. I guess there is no answer that is perfect for everyone. We should just be thankful that we have the business coming in. Still love it though!

Wow, I feel so much better now that I see many others in the same boat:). I do keep a schedule, but I have not been accurate with my estimates. Some quilts just seem to take longer than I expect. And I'll admit, I'm a procrastinator:cool:. For example, I should be in the shower now, so I can start quilting at a reasonable hour. But am I? Nooooo......

Since I own a non-related quilt business and work there full time I dont' have more than 9 or 10 quilts on my waiting list at any given time. And if I have those for more than 1 month I get so stressed that I shut down..mentally, physically etc...and want to sleep all the time. I get up early and quilt some before I go to work and then again in the evening if I'm not too tired from my day job.

I do admire you ladies that have quilts backed up for 6 months to a year but I'm afraid I couldn't take the pressure of that. Even tho the money is great it would take the fun out of it for me.

I've often wondered how much time does a longarmer allow for each quilt? So when you say you're backed up for a year does that mean yoy have dozens of quilts lined up, waiting to be quilted? How many would you get done in a week?

Rita

Well, I seem to be in the same boat with Sylvia. My customers seem to be preoccupied with other things right now. I've had one quilt to quilt since the beginning of the year. I have all these cool new toys and tools to use, and no one's quilt to practice on. Guess I'll have to reduce my personal backlog. :cool:

I have managed to get a spare bedroom painted during this slow time. And, my husband spilled paint on the carpet, so I ended up getting a new floor. So, some good has come out of the slow times.

The accepted practice for quilters in my area is to book the quilt..but not actually take posession of it. So, basically, the longarmer is estimating when the quilt will be worked into the schedule. Then, about a week or two prior to the time when the quilt comes up on the list/calendar...they call the customer and have her deliver the quilt. That allows the customer to know where their quilt is, how it is being cared for and stored, and if they decide they can't wait any longer...to take it to another quilter. I guess the longarmer might lose a quilt or two to the competition, but it also reduces liability in case of a fire, flood or whatever. And, the longarm quilter isn't looking at a stack of quilts. They only have one or two besides the one that is on the frame. If a customer doesn't produce the quilt when it comes up on the schedule, the quilter just moves on to the next quilt. Somehow, it doesn't seem like such a long wait when the customer still has the quilt, as when they have turned it over to the quilter then haven't seen it for months.

I do things a little different. In my area, customers tend to want me to store their quilts, It gets them off their list and onto mine. I always have those who don't have a deadline and those who do. So I tend to work with the dealines but keep the non-deadlines in order and on the list. I always have quilts that flow quickly through while there are those that seem to linger.

Personally, there is no way I could survive as a business if I took all quilts in and completed them in order. Am I ever caught up?, of course not. Have I ever missed a deadline? Thankfully, not yet! Just a more free-spirited option for you.

Donna

I have a similar process as Linda and Heidi. I keep a long list (now running into October) and schedule one per week (I still work full time so cannot do more than this). It doesn't matter the size because if I have a couple lap quilts they'll get done a bit faster and the bigger ones a bit longer, but it all works out. I get very few custom jobs - it is almost aways e2e.

I limit each customer to 2 per month and no longer accept reservations. I've had customers who have asked for a reserved spot on my list (because it is so long) and they haven't even started their quilt yet. Then, when I'm ready they're not! I don't think that is fair to those who have their quilts ready.

Archived