Please help! Bobbin thread will not pick up

I recently purchased a used Millie and am having some difficulty. The issue now is that the needle is not picking up the bobbin thread. When I first start and use needle up and down to pull the bobbin thread through that works but then when I start quilting nothing happens, no stitches. I have tried to rethread, change needle, change tension but nothing is working thus far. Any suggestions?

First, make sure the needle is in properly--scarf in the back and bulge in the front--and eye facing straight forward.

Make sure the needle is all the way up in the needle bar. Loosen the needle bar screw completely (don't drop it!!) insert the needle and tighten the screw. Remove the bobbin case and turn the fly wheel until the needle bar is at the lowest position. Look straight-on at the bobbin area and see where the eye of the needle is. Most of the eye should show--check your manual for the correct view of the needle eye. If it isn't correct, raise or lower the needle bar. This requires a long screwdriver and the instructions in the manual.

If that isn't the solution, you may need to time your machine.

Don't assume timing is your problem until all needle issues are addressed.

Good luck and keep posting intil your problem has been solved!:)

Has your bobbin assembly been recently cleaned? Many times problems could be because there is a lot of lint build up; oil build up. If you haven't you should blow out the bobbin assembly, remove needle plate, blow out, spray bobbin assembly area with wd40 and then oil. There are instructions with the owner's manual.

Set your bobbin tension so that the bobbin rolls down (drop test) freely, smoothly like a spider would on web.

Pull the bobbin out of the bobbin case a few inches. Then try it and see if the top thread can grab it. If this works...then when you go to use the thread cutter...move a few inches away from the stop point and then back to the stop point before cutting the bottom thread. This will leave a longer tail to be able to grab on the next start.

Okay so I am making progress. I did what everyone said to do and am at least making stitches. Now the top stitch goes pretty well then has a long stitch like 1/2 inch or larger. The bottom doesn't quite look right either it looks kind of small and has a tiny like loop in it.

It should not affect your stitch length by using a different colour on top and bottom, only tension.

If you are getting a big stitch every now and then, it could be that your stitch regulator wheel is not engaging correctly. Check that the small stitch regulator wheels are connecting with and rolling on your rails correctly.

Am no expert, but it is worth a shot. I had the same and need a new SR cable as a tiny wire had snapped.

Archived