remodel has begun.

Ok, the destruction of the sewing room has begun. Jessica and I removed the stackable drawers from under the long arm. All the quilts have been refolded and put in a different room. Tomorrow the long arm will be picked up and I will remove my sewing desks. I still have to clear the book shelf and the fabric cupboard.

It’s amazing to me how a remodel project in one room can turn the whole house upside down. Once the room is cleared, the carpet will be ripped up and the wall taken down. Then, a new paint job and a new floor.

Need to make the room all spiffy for the Millie

I did something like that with my old house. I had the upstair gutted and the roof reinforced and new walls. There used to be 3 very small rooms and then the back half was like an attic that someone before me took the knee wall down and gutted it to the studs but never reinforced the walls and roof so the roof was sagging. I had the big room (former attic) made into one large room. The two small bedrooms on the left were made into one large room with a built in closet. The house had two closets in the hall before that. The last little room became a bathroom. I had hardwork oak floors put in. It was wonderful . The big room was my sewing room on one side and my bed on the other and the other large room had my longarm. You will be so happy when you are done. the journey to get to finish will be an adventure. I had to tell my contractor that when he said it would take 2 months I didn't realize it was March and September and not two consecutive months.

I see you have your priorities straight.............make the house fit the machine...........not the machine fit the house ! Good girl...........:P:P:P:P:P:P

When we built our house 12 years ago, I designed my sewing room first and THEN the rest of the house around that! Little did I know I would now own a Millie/14 'Table or the room would have been MUCH bigger. Millie had to go downstairs in the finished basement.............

Originally posted by mscott2611

Penny

I am curious what kind of floors will you be putting down in your new quilting room. I too am going to be "redoing" a studio for my 14' Millie soon and I am trying to decide on my flooring.

Mary

Mary my husband and I are putting down a floating floor.

We got it at Lowe's it's a lamenet floor and I have 2 anti fatique matts one down each side of the LA

I'm going to start my remodel of my sewing room in May. We bought a model house and it had five bedrooms upstairs. The wall between the two front bedrooms wasn't completed so they could show you either two bedrooms or one large room for a rec room or office. I had them just take it all the way out and it was perfect for my 12 ft table. Now I want to take out the carpet and put wood (I think) floors in and plantation shutters and some better lighting, and paint of course. It's the only room in the house I haven't painted. I wonder why? I have shelves along three of the walls full of fabric and "stuff". It scares me when I think of how much stuff is actually in there.

I want to hear about Mary's remodel so it gives me courage to go through with this. And anyone else undertaking this kind of project. I'm going to buy a new sewing table and a new cutting table. I have a nice Koala sewing cabinet now that I can incorporate into the new room. It's almost 15 years old and they are still selling that model. I guess they really are good cabinets.

Speak up everyone and give us good ideas. Pictures are always nice.

Oma

My DH is letting me turn our one car garage into my studio. It currently has concrete(sp) floors so I am trying to decide on flooring. He is very handy with all kinds of stuff to do with remodeling so he said just tell him what I want and we will see what we can do. I have been watching all the studio remodels and photos rto get ideas and we hope to start when he is home off the boat next month. I will try to keep you up to date if you do yours first you can keep me up to date. I would love to have a koala sewing cabinet.

Mary

I had tile over concrete floors in my studio and it was very cold in the winter and hard to stand on. I did not want carpet, so we ripped out the tile and put in floating cork floors. It acts as an insulator and is no longer cold to stand on and also has a bit of give, so I don't need anti-fatique mats either. I love it! Check out Lumber Liquidators if you are interested in cork. That is the best place I found.

Somewhere way back in the studio posts, I have pictures.

I have, over the years, been in many many sewing rooms and I can tell you this: Patty Butcher has THE most wonderful sewing/quilty room I have ever seen. She put so much thought into the perfect room and make it happen - from the color, shape and size to the view out the back windows to the sound of water rushing - Oh! It is so wonderful!!!!!!

Archived