June Tailor Clapper

Originally posted by DoryJM

Originally posted by delld

Hey Dory, a 2 by 4 works well if you are using it to force out the seam to flatten a seam!

After I smacked Dennis in the head with the 2x4 a few times, he requested I use something smaller:D:P

Maybe a 2 x2 would work. It would leave a smaller mark:P:P:P:o:P:P:P

I was at Empty Spools at Asilomar week before last, taking a class from Sally Collins. If you've heard of her, you know how meticulous she is about her piecing. She generally works small...taking a normal block and breaking it into smaller pieces for interest. One of her main rules: Press your piece, then lie something heavy on top while it cools. This does work.

The Artist in Residence during the week had a clapper that she used for basically the same thing. She said that they are very hard to find now that most people do not make their own clothing. However, checking E-Bay, there are several of them. I'll pick one up there for taking to classes. However, at home, I think I'll just use one of my antique, very heavy, irons.

I took a Sally Collins class when she came to guild. I learned a lot from her including putting weight on the newly pressed seams until they cool down. I began to do this and saw a difference but got a traffic jam with too many things lined up on my ironing board waiting to cool. Just after Sally spoke at guild we had Sue Cleveland and she was selling a tool called The Wacker.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/supplies/handy+notions/the+wacker+seams+perfect+tool.do.

It works well and doesn't take up as the space and is also easier to carry around. When my DH hears pounding noises he know that I am ironing!

Sue

Originally posted by DoryJM

Originally posted by delld

Hey Dory, a 2 by 4 works well if you are using it to force out the seam to flatten a seam!

After I smacked Dennis in the head with the 2x4 a few times, he requested I use something smaller:D:P

Okay You got me!!!! LOL

We used a "clapper" In tailoring in college. I broke my clapper like you showed last week by pounding the seam out of the seam. Works really well on wool. Okay. So I'm now going back to my 2x4 about 10 inches long.

The top is great for the seams in clothing so that you don't get a rigde from the edge of a seam like silks and wool. The Point is great for collars. Opps my back ground is telling on me! Oh no!

Dory,

I might have one at home that I could part with. A few years ago, a friend of mine gave me a bunch of sewing supplies that she got from an estate of a friend who had died. Since my friend doesn't sew, she gave me all of the sewing stuff. I have never used it, although one of the things she also gave me was a "ham" which was something that I had always wanted. However, since I don't do any garment sewing anymore, I haven't used any of it. I am at work right now, I will look when I go home.

Originally posted by Gator

It looks like an anvil, I bet Dave-Jane could make one (unless there's some kind of patent). How does it work?

After you press a seam, you use it to apply even pressure while the seam cools. It really makes them nice a flat.

Archived