Washing quilts

I read where several of you wash your quilts when done and just wondering how you do it. Machine, by hand..........then drying them??? Not in the dryer, but how? Does it help to set the stitches and camoflague (sp) some of the "OOPS" places. Imagine it would help poof up the quilt again, too ? I am using a double layer of 1/4" batting - polyester.

I don't do customer quilts, so my process may not fit for those. I do wash my quilts. Because I use thinsulate for the batting I haven't had any problem with putting them in the washer and letting it go, the same for the drier. I do have one quilt I use cotton/bamboo batting in and have done the same with it. I haven't had any problem with any of them over the 20+ that I have been doing that.

Guest Linda S

I use wool batting in all my personal quilts. They go in the wash on regular cycle in warm water and go in the dryer on casual press. I have some quilts I've had for 17 years and they still look great. They have a bit of that old fashioned pucker to them, but that's how I like them. Quilts really aren't all that dainty!

Originally posted by Neher-in-law5

I don't do customer quilts, so my process may not fit for those. I do wash my quilts. Because I use thinsulate for the batting I haven't had any problem with putting them in the washer and letting it go, the same for the drier. I do have one quilt I use cotton/bamboo batting in and have done the same with it. I haven't had any problem with any of them over the 20+ that I have been doing that.

Madelyn, where do you get thinsulate batting. I bet it's warm, huh?

I like to wash most of my own quilts when finished, unless it's an art quilt or heavily embellished or something. But for regular quilts I love the look of heavy quilting on cotton batting, then washed in the machine and part dryed in the dryer, then finished outside, that way it is not too heavy with water (even after spinning) to cause any drag or droop. Gives a bit of an antique type effect, and yes, can do wonders for the look of the quilting sometimes.

I make a lot of quilts I donate to charities - I use either Warm and White or Hobbs 80/20 batting. I always throw them in the washing machine with Synthrapol, a mild detergent, and if there are colors that I think might run I toss in a color catcher sheet. I put the machine on a gentle wash cycle with warm water. I also toss them in the dryer on low. I take them out of the dryer before they are completely dry - they are dryer than damp - and hang them over the rails of my Millie until they are completely dry. All the quilts have turned out beautifully.

Georgene,

I get my Thinsulate right from the 3M Company in St. Paul/Minneapolis (or where ever they have it shipped from). I need to order at least 3 rolls at a time (60 inch/30 yards per roll). I started out with a thinner wt (it was the medium one at the time) and love it. The last time I ordered they had changed the product #s so ended up with a thicker variety. It still works well, but I want to go back to the thinner med. wt. We have been using just one quilt on our bed for the winter for a few years (changed quilts, but still sleep under only a single) and have been very comfortable without heavy weight but still feel like you have something covering you. It is even nice to snuggle under when the wood pellet stove has gone out in the middle of the night.

Let me know if you want any contact info, or just call their toll free number. That is how I got started with them.

I prewash all my fabric and most of my battings (not polyester ones), so shrinkage isn't a real issue for me. I toss my finished quilts into the washer and do a cold-water wash (I toss in a color catcher, too, just in case any of the fabrics still want to bleed). Then it goes into the dryer, and I'm done!

I wash all "my own" quilts. I love the look after it's been washed and dried. I wash the quilts just like any other blanket. If I'm going to hang it up or if it's a wall hanging, I take it out of the dryer damp and block it.

PS, I never pre-wash my fabric, I use a couple dye catchers on the first washing.

Archived