Last chance on Raffle Quilt

This is an "artist's" rendition of a quilt I am putting together, start to finish, for a raffle for my little church. I thought I would have until mid-June to piece, quilt and bind, but yesterday I found out that it would be best to have the quilt completed by May 14th - less than three weeks away!:o

Don't pay too close attention to the colors in the rendition: it's actually a light tan background, five different dark brown prints and a harvest gold print for the small stars.

I'm looking for ideas on a border treatment and for quilting ideas. I'm definitely planning SID and probably some sort of feathers. But I'm open to any suggestions. This is a raffle quilt for the general public, not just quilters, so I don't want to quilt it to death.

Thanks in advance!

Layout 4-2011.pdf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Barb! I think picking two narrow border colors (1 inch in width) really ties in the quit. Pick the darker shade (brick red) and the lighter shade (orange gold) and make a narrow strip around before adding the outer border. Not surewhat the outer border color would be. I would choose either the background fabric or the brick red fabric. Not sure my ideas are very helpful so take them for what they're worth. LOL! :P

With all of the geometrics, I'd go with curves in the quilting design. I'd likely do a circle over either the stars or the main block, to separate how they look. For the border, I'd do a bias square quilting on one of the borders, to pick up the main block design in the center.

I'd pick the darker shade for outside border and I would probably add a border the same color as the background to give me more space to add some feathers. I would SID the stars and cc the blocks. Add in some cross hatching or curved cross hatching in the center of the stars and into the bordres to pull it all together.

I like the second design - the stars are contrasted beautifully! I agree with Heidi and Shana - Stars (SID) and feathering!! It's going to be an awesome quilt!! Nothing to it but to do it!!! Come on, Barb - you need to get this puppy done, before you head out to our side of the world! Otherwise, you can borrow one our machines to quilt the quilt!!;)

Both layouts are great, I really like the way the blocks give the appearance of being on point. You could combine the border from the second one with the center of the first one for a great look also. I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally have the quilt top done - and I have until Wednesday night to do the custom quilting and binding - no pressure at all!

I think I know what I want to do for the quilting, but I'm open to suggestions????

post--1346190617455_thumb.jpg

I see a large rope in the dark brown, QuiltaZoid patterns in the white around the

brown and orange stars. Then use part of a pattern, the pattern in the wedges around the quilt. Should finish it off nicely without a terribly lot of time.

It's gorgeous

Rita, your suggestions sound intriguing, but I don't have any rope templates and I don't have a Quiltazoid! Wish I did....:(

I'm thinking of doing molar feathers in the outside border and the background. In the border, they would be a modified amish curl, and in the background they would wind around the darker blocks.

I'm gonna use Shana's suggestion and create some triangle spaces for feathers in the setting triangles and the corners.

The blocks will get a wavy crosshatch and some sort of design in the center stars.

I just started SIDing around the borders, so if someone comes up with anything brilliant (that I can do without additional tools or stencils:)), I still have time to change the plan!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived