can't catch the bobbin thread

I can needle down and pick up the bobbin thread if there is nothing on the machine. I can't pick up the bobbin thread when the quilt is on the machine. Can someone help?

I was getting uneven stitches and stitches that look cockeyed instead of straight. I changed the needle and cleaned the wheel by the encoders. I have re inserted the needle but can't pick up the bobbin!

I will say the "T" word and it isn't tension---it's timing.

BUT, before you start that procedure, check both your needle depth and hopping foot height.

If you jammed a ruler or broke a needle recently, the needle bar could have been pushed up from the impact. Get out the manual and find the timing chapter. It will direct you to remove the bobbin case and lower the needle as far as it will go. Look straight on into the bobbin area and see how much of the eye of the needle is visible. There is a photo or drawing to show you how it should look. If not enough of the eye is visible, you will read how to lower the needle bar into correct position.

Make sure that your hopping foot is at the correct height as well. That's an easy fix.

If that doesn't fix the problem, your timing may need to be adjusted. That is a last resort and also in the manual.

Let us know how you are doing.

I now remember the comment someone on here made about the needle. The bumps on the front go towards the boobs!

So each needle I check where the groove is between the bumps and place them at the front.

Our needles are not like featherweight machines where the roundness of the needle points towards the round of the needle plate.

Lyn

Archived