Need Design Help BQ Bear Quilt

How about.....

A spikey fill in the cream. The angles are too varied to do an even design and to turn all those corners. A medium fill would be good in matching thread so the critters can be the focus. The narrower green strips could have a triple squiggle line and where they cross would be a nice point of interest. That would frame the pictures. I might audition a very dark gold thread to use on the green.

The pictorial blocks would be great with the animals outlined, but that would depend on your customer's budget.

The top has great color choices--the cream was inspired--otherwise the quilt would have been so dark. Pictures please when finished!

I have a quilt utilizing this pattern I need to get quilted too so thanks for the question. This one gives me an idea for a wilderness quilt I want to make for my brother. Anyway, to get back to your question...I was wondering on mine if I would be able to do feathers all along the cream fabric. Kind of meander in and around. The problem as I saw it was the quilt would have to be attached on the diagonal to be able to go clear across in one pass. I've heard it mentioned here, but I was faint of heart at that time. This one would be great with bear paw design going across it. Imagine a bear paw print walking across your quilt. I'm laughing at myself because I love the idea and I have NOOOOO idea if it would even be possible.

Why not put double circle loops in the cream areas as a continuous fill, sort of like paw prints, wavy line as Linda said in the green. SID around the edge of the blocks to get to the next strip to make it as continuous as possible.

Then grassy spikes or leaves in the pictures to continue tthe outdors theme.

Lyn

Can you look at some pantos on line with nature themes like oak leaves that were suggested and see how they are hooked together then change them up a little to fill in the cream areas? They might provide inspiration. If you are interested in a panto. Dave Hunt has some great ones that even have bears included. I did one called Cabin in the Woods on a quilt a woman did for her son and he loved it.

Thanks, everyone! I just figured out why this is making me SO crazy! Went back and looked at the pattern; normally the cream is pieced to form a right angle around the focus block. The dark sashings are pieced to frame the cream. She pieced it differently and it looks disjointed to me! Thanks for all your ideas, I will put them to work.

post--1346190608862_thumb.jpg

Vickie,

You're right, the piecing is disjointed, making it tricky to quilt. I think I would put two or three squares at equal distances within each other in the bear blocks. In the green fabric I think I would make two straight lines going the length of each strip about a quarter of an inch in. It would be easy and you wouldn't need a ruler. After puting in all those straight lines it would be nice to have something curvy in the creme areas. You could do spirals or a squiggly looking water design. Even simple loops would be nice if they were nice and small.

Jess

Your right Vickie...now that I look at it closer. You gotta love piecers and quilters. It looked off to me too. I'm glad you are having to figure out how to quilt that and I can just watch and learn. I still like the bear paw or the pine cone thought, but I'd probably just put a nice meandering or filler type design in that cream and sid around the bear piece and the green sashing.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Find a pantograph with bear paw prints and walk all over that quilt!

Shana I visions of blocks with the panto craved in the bottom side and attached to Vickie's feet, walking all over the quilt! :P:P:P

Archived