Done!-with pictures

Sherry won't mind a sleep over, she is a wonderful hostess, but her darling puppies might object, they are Mommy's shadow & you will be greeted with puppy breath kisses every morning! :P:D (I love Nick!)

Originally posted by quiltingnut

UNBELIEVEABLE - - - May I just move in a watch you for a month.....

Hi, Sherry,

You and all the other wonderful quilters are so generous to share your methods with us. I want to be just like all of you when I grow up.

I do have a specific or two I would like you to comment on.

I tend to agonize over stops and starts, and like everyone, want to minimize them. When you are doing the lines that make up the diamond sashing, are you sewing over to the next line, along a seam? If you had to would you sew over the same spot more than once, maybe not for this design, but for another? Same with the lines in the butterflies?

Do you mainly backstitch to start and stop a line of stitching?

Thanks again for all this cool information and inspiration!!!!

Hi Janet

Not sure what friend list you are referring to but if I had one?I would invite you!

Regarding my charges, I have not invoiced this piece yet but when I do, I will allow for a discount. The piecer, Joel has been with me since day one of starting my business.

Sewingupastorm

You can find the Diamond ruler on my website. www.sewfarsewgood.org

Kay

Don?t let my work intimidate you. As I said earlier, I have been at this along time but I too started at the beginning. You actually will have a shorter learning curve then many of us old timers did as there is so much more information available now then ever. You have better tools, more teachers and much better technology then we ever had! Take your time, enjoy the process and it will come!

Lynn

Thank you, I hated to miss Innovations but you can bet I will be there next year!

Linda A

You are a hoot! I shudder uncontrollably at the thought of coming into contact with Nick?s breath! EWWWWW! You are a sick woman! LOL

Hi Linda

Thank you for asking. Yes, yes, yes, I most definetly backtrack as many times as I have to to make my quilting continuous. I use matching thread when possible and I use the finest thread available. These 2 things will help minimize a build up of thread. Some of the quilting I did on this quilt had a build up of 3-4 threads.

When I start or stop the stitching I take 2-3 VERY (VERY) small stitches back and then go forward. The key is holding your thread tails securly and taking VERY small stitches.

Originally posted by 9patch

Hi, Sherry,

I tend to agonize over stops and starts, and like everyone, want to minimize them. When you are doing the lines that make up the diamond sashing, are you sewing over to the next line, along a seam? If you had to would you sew over the same spot more than once, maybe not for this design, but for another? Same with the lines in the butterflies?

Do you mainly backstitch to start and stop a line of stitching?

Thanks again for all this cool information and inspiration!!!!

Hi Sharon

Thank you! I ALWAYS use my stitch regulator! I paid extra to have it and by George I am going to use it whenever possible. I posted this tip once before but I will repeat it again. Since the designs i used were fairly small I turned the stitch length up as small as it would go. Yes, ALL the way to the right to 15 and beyond! What this does for me is make the SR smoother and helps me to achieve better accuracy. I can still move as slow as I wish and I can still hesitate for as long as I need to. Get it? try it, you might like it.

Originally posted by countrystitcher

Sherry this is absolutely amazing!!! I've already looked at it several times in awe - thanks for sharing. I too have a couple of questions: (1) I assume this is freehand, so do you use your stitch regulator (2) How fast do you set your speed for something like this?

Thank you.

Sharon

Sherry,

The very first thing I got with my Millennium a few months ago was your Feathers 101 (?) Book. I have been wondering what on earth the plastic sheets in the book were for. I just found out on your website. My book didn't come with a marker, so I didn't know. Great idea!

What's funny is I told the sales rep. who brought it to me at the time of my beginning lesson that I didn't like feathers. She looked at me like I was nuts (and I was) and put the book down. Thank God she left the book with me anyway! I have used it over and over and over since then and I can make pretty good feathers now. The inside of a circle is hard, and I never seem to be able to have the right amount of room left for the final feather either inside the circle or out. If you put the secret in your book, I don't recall what it is right now. :(

(I have two homes, and the book is at one and I'm at the other.)

I was in awe of the hexagon quilt also. Can't tell from the pictures how those hexagons were done. Amazing work on it and the butterfly feathers.

Thank you for sharing the great pictures.

Hugs, Joy

...went off after reading your post Joy. Bad me for not including some type of directions in my book! I guess I just assue all longarmers read our lists and know what the plastic sheets are for. I will correct this in my next printing. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am happy to send you a dry erase marker as well, one was supposed to come with each book but since I don't know who sold it to you I cannot correct the dealer. Please email me your shipping addy and I will get one right out to you.

If you are referring to getting that last feather in...you need to be able to think ahead. Doing this will allow you to make them fatter or skinnier towards the end and pretty soon they will all look perfect! If I am miss-interperting here, just holler and I will try to help again.

Originally posted by FrammaJoy

Sherry,

The very first thing I got with my Millennium a few months ago was your Feathers 101 (?) Book. I have been wondering what on earth the plastic sheets in the book were for. I just found out on your website. My book didn't come with a marker, so I didn't know. Great idea!

What's funny is I told the sales rep. who brought it to me at the time of my beginning lesson that I didn't like feathers. She looked at me like I was nuts (and I was) and put the book down. Thank God she left the book with me anyway! I have used it over and over and over since then and I can make pretty good feathers now. The inside of a circle is hard, and I never seem to be able to have the right amount of room left for the final feather either inside the circle or out. If you put the secret in your book, I don't recall what it is right now. :(

(I have two homes, and the book is at one and I'm at the other.)

I was in awe of the hexagon quilt also. Can't tell from the pictures how those hexagons were done. Amazing work on it and the butterfly feathers.

Thank you for sharing the great pictures.

Hugs, Joy

I was tired of looking at this one! I had it so long and it took so much time that I was happy when the owner came and took it away and paid me! LOL

Originally posted by QuiltedCat

Sherry, the quilting is just wonderful. Do you find it hard to give one of those "babies" away?

Your quilting give great insight into the words practice, practice.

Thank you for sharing.

Archived