11 pound T- shirt quilt, LOL!

I floated this quilt and it turned out OK. Used all your advise and It's as square as I can get it. There are 42 t-shirts. The gal had the t-shirts already sewn together but used a heavy pellon. I had to finish it by adding the borders and make the backing. She had this quilt unfinished for 10 years. There was moth droppings on the batting, LOL! I finally finished it this morning. Added the binding. That was a big and HEAVY quilt to add binding on. She didn't want to pay alot for the quilt so I just did a simple meander on it. Machine sewed the binding (I don't hand sew).

post--13461906188615_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Looks good Hitomi! I cannot understand for the life of me why people love tshirt quilts. Even with light-weight stabilizer they are very heavy quilts. There must be a better use for those tshirts (like polishing the car?). :P;)

Linda, you polish the car with the parts you don't use!!! I always set my limit with my customer at 20 Ts and let them decide which of the 20 will go into the quilt. Then I strip each one and that way they are not so heavy. In fact, they are nice and warm and easy to use. that is IF I am the one piecing it. I think the really heavy ones probably won't get used as much. I mean, when you breathe your chest couldn't move up and down with all the weight!;););)

Hitomi, I like what you did and your binding is perfect!!!!!!

Talk about heavy t-shirt quilts, I just quilted a double sided t shirt quilt. Yes, they had both the back and front nothing but t-shirts, the places where the seams doubled up was like plowing snow to get through it. And the thing was super heavy. It is going to someone in California, I sure hope it is norhtern CA as it might have to be used as a mattress pad anywhere else. LOL

I'm working on one now that has all very different size blocks. Some are tee-shirts, some are clothing parts, including many pairs of socks around the entire wide border. The back is the same! The front has pockets that need to stay open, it also has buttons and other 3-D gadgets on it. The lady wanted a panto, so I spent an hour working on the first pass, as I tried to stop and start around the areas I couldn't get my hopping foot over, or put a needle through, then pick up the pattern on the other side of the "issue". I then spent the next 4 evenings frogging the darn thing, as the design just didn't flow right.. I am now custom quilting it, but with not a lot of stitching. More or less, outlining the designs in the blocks and a bit of this and that, but stearing away from areas where I could cause damage to my machine. It is queen size and weighs a ton!!! It is as thick and dense as a NY strip steak! I hope to finish it this weekend, as it's a nbirthday present for my customer's 12 year old niece.

People just love T-shirt quilts! It's a way to take memories from shirts that will not be worn again and used. If you use the lightest weight Pellon interfacing and the right batting - they are mangageable and not too heavy! I know I've made and quilted a bunch!!

Nice job on a monster of a project!!

Guest Linda S

The first two customer quilts of my quilting career were T-shirt quilts, and I've never quite recovered from the trauma! ;):P I know they can be well done, but I'm not fond of the feel when they're finished.

All said, I think Hitomi's came out just great.

Originally posted by sandradarlington

........The lady wanted a panto, so I spent an hour working on the first pass, as I tried to stop and start around the areas I couldn't get my hopping foot over......

SANDY! :o :o You are crazy! I would have said not only "no way" (re: panto) but "hella no way!" Quilts like this? They get done at the front of the machine with a freehand meander design.

Bless your heart for trying to do this impossible task. Wow!! (((hugs))) You deserve a hug and a big glass of lucious red. Wish I could share both with you right now. :)

Hitomi your tshirt quilt came out fabulous. I just quilted a GY-MONDO-LY HUGE King size t-shirt quilt with all Alaska Harley Davidson t-shirts. A very awesomely cool looking quilt with those Alaska Harley shirts; really cool. I went slow and steady (meandering freehand swirls) over the rubbery thick t-shirts. All went well. I used a variegated Lava in blues. Turned out pretty! I wanted to keep it. But alas, it was going as a fundraiser (btw I was told that last year's fundraiser quilt raked in $4K) the money goes toward sending someone on a cruise through Alaska's Inside Passage with their dialysis machine on board, so they can enjoy a vacation on the cruise and get their treatment, too. How cool is that???? :cool:

That looks great.

I had 2 sweatshirt quilts to do and I was able to panto both of them. If there were any embellishments on the blocks as I got to that row I would move the machine (not running) over to the embellishments and mark the spot on the panto so I would need to slow way down when I got to that spot. I didn't hit anything doing that way.

Archived