What kind of batting and why.

Sharon my favorite batting is wool and I use it almost exclusively. Wool just has a great drape and really shows your quilting. If I'm working on a show quilt I usually use a double batting with a poly blend (favorite is Quilters Dream Poly Supreme) on the bottom and wool on top. I also love Quilters Dream Puff. If I'm making a wall hanging always use the poly and wool. Sometimes I'll tease the wool into a few very thin layers for wallhangings. That way you get the definition but not the thickness.

I like Hobbs 80/20 too, I do have a roll of their wool which I like but haven't used on many customer quilts. I recently bought a roll of Legacy blend but I'm finding it to be very linty though I do love it's softness and drape. I also use Quilters Dream 70/30 but the drape isn't as nice as the Hobbs and Legacy.

Guest Linda S

Wool is my favorite too. I like Hobbs wool on the roll (not packages) and I love QD Wool. I also like the QD Puff. Wool breathes, so it is comfortable in winter and in summer. Has nice drape, and gives your quilting good definition.

I use what my customers want. For my quilts my current favorite is Warm Co's 80/20 blend. It's really soft and drapeable and gives the antique puckery look that I like. Also QD's cottons.

Choice for batting though depends on the look you are going for and the use of the quilt.

After the quilt on the machine I'm starting some window treatments for my quilting basement. Quilted panels using insulbrite. Shoud be interesting to see how that works. I'm hoping to do them for my entire little house as I get each room painted,

Hi Sharon, for my own quilts I use Quilters Dream wool. I love the definition and it's wonderful to sleep under - light yet snuggly - and it breathes so you don't get too hot. I just had to wash my almost king size quilt - the cat threw up on it! I took it to the local laundrette to put it in a large drum. I then partially tumble dried it & then let it air dry - not 1 bit of shrinkage - very impressive . The package says less than 1% shrinkage & they are right. In general, I'll quilt what my customers bring me but if they want me to provide the batting I recommend the QD wool or QD cotton select. I love the QD products - The QD Cotton is soft & draoes beautifully and doesn't throw off lint like other cottons and blends. Also, they are a great company to work with and it's all made in the USA plus no minimum order. Can you tell I'm a satisfied customer. (I'm not affiliated to QD)

I use what my customers give me...unless it is the very cheap stuff that seems to go into holes when I'm loading it, or if it gives off so much lint that I don't want to breath it or have it fly into my machine and all over the room.

For my own quilts I only use QD products. My favorite is wool, and I use Puff a lot, too. If I want the granny look after my quilts are washed (I love that on the 30's fabrics), I use 100% cotton. I also like the natural fibers for baby quilts. It all depends on what I am quilting.

Jeri, I am interested in the curtains you are making with InsulBrite. I quilt in my basement, too, and am going to need new curtains in the next year or so. I have 2 windows looking out to my back yard and a door with a window in the top half. Will the InsulBrite hekp to keep the room warmer in the winter? Which direction should it face? Towards the room or towards the yard? How are you going to hang them? Rod pocket, or rings at the top, please let me know more details. I am very interested in making something similar. Oh, and what type of fabric will you use on the side that faces the sun/outside?

I only use Quilter's Dream. I love it for all the reasons others have posted here. I also have the huge benefit of it being based here in Virginia Beach. My favorite is the QD wool. The needle runs through it like a hot knife in butter and there's no scrim to worry about. You don't have to worry or figure out which side goes up or down. When a customer wants fluff, I use the Puff. I only use the QD Angel (fire retardent) for baby quilts. I figure if their PJs have to conform to regulations, I do the same for their "quilt blankies". If you choose to use QD, don't get the "request loft", it really thin and not recommended for machine quilting, it's basically for hand quilting. PS, the QD wool can be washed with hardly any shrinkage.

Sandra, before I make the panels I plan on a quick call to warm co. to see which side the shiny side should face. The directions say to face it toward the heat or cold source but am not sure which way is best for a window. They weren't at MQS this year to ask. I talked to them last year but don't remember which way they recommend. I bought an entire roll of insul bright from them last year. Lots cheaper than buying pkgs at Hobby Lobby or Joann's

I have a batik for my quilting room, and a wild cotton print for my office/grandkid's bedroom. I have a futon bunk bed in there for when the kids visit. Both will be backed with a cotton. I'm just doing simple quilted panels that will slide on a cafe rod and am putting a hanging sleeve on the back for the rod to slide through. I'll just use an overall design and will also just bind them like a regular quilt.

I figure it will cut down on my heating and cooling bills. I have good windows but figure anything extra will help.

Archived