Winding Your Own Omni Bobbins

I thought I would do the exercise of winding an aluminium bobbin on my turbo winder with Omni thread. I seemed to go through a lot of bobbins on a small quilt!

I wound it on then pulled it off and measured as I went.

There were only 42 yards of thread on the bobbin less than half what I get if I wind Bottom Line myself.

Don't think I will use this as a bobbin thread too often or I will be forever winding.

Lyn

post--13461906468874_thumb.jpg

Interesting to read your results. I don't use Bottom Line anymore for bobbins, but I do use So-Fine. The only time I use the top thread as bobbin thread is if I want a particular color on the back as well as the front as I can't always match So-Fine in the bobbin with my top LAVA for instance----I like the new Omni Thread, and I just heard there is yet another "new thread" on the market.

Golden Threads has it for sale. "Quilters Choice Thread"

http://www.goldenthreads.com/

What to do, what to do---what to buy! :):):) I'm on thread over-load!

It has always depended on what look I was shooting for or if I needed to match the top and bottom...Omni is a bit thicker but so is several other brands. Winding bobbins has never been an issue, because so many of us started out with that only option that we really don't think about it. Its only been the last 3-5 years or so that prewinds have been so popular and have to admit, i do love them, but won't ever get rid of my winder. I have had several quilts that took 30plus bobbins but they were used as a reason to sit down for a moment.:P:P

Sandra - Superior has a page on their site that shows how much thread you get on your bobbins -

L style Bobbin

Bottom Line: 118 yds.

Masterpiece: 80 yds.

Brand X cotton: 39 yds.

So Fine: 66 yds.

I use quite a bit of Tex 27 serging threads in my bobbins and I get about 50 yards on a bobbin. And Wonderfil DecoBob, I get about 130 yards and Invisifil, I get about 150 yards - so they are good ones to try if you want to go a long way without running out.

I did this exercise as I too had just purchased some Omni. Iwas using it top and bottom as a trial.

Found it a bit lintier than "So Fine", but stitched well.

Since it was less expensive than So Fine thought I would "do the math" of.... is it really cheaper or ar you using more thread to accomplish the same result.

If you look closely at the thread from Golden Threads the Description, Cone etc look exactly the same as Omni!

I have 3 cones of Omni, but I Love my So fine and have about 70 colours so cannot see a reason to switch.

Lyn

I ordered some Omni from Red Rock Threads and they called twice to tell me a color was out of stock and asking to substitute..........I had tried to order the same thing from Sew Thankful and it was backordered for quite a while. Also on Superior's own site, the colors I chose were out of stock So, I THINK I am getting 3 cones of Omni from Red Rock Threads. I'll see how I like it. The colors I chose were common/neutral colors, so probably the other colors are easier to get. Anyway, will see how it goes. The Quilter's Choice Thread sure does look and sound just like the Omni and the same price, too. I'd love to see/touch them both at the same time. :)

Still anxiously waiting Fil Tec (Bobbin Central) to come out with their expanded color line of Magna Classic bobbins in that have 130+ yards on them. I do wind my own if I want a special color, but prefer the prewound magnetic ones.

Archived