Rulers????

I have a need for a ruler with a smaller arc than what I can find out there...does anyone have any other ideas for ruler suppliers? I am thinking about having my DH cut one for me from the plexiglass that I have...has anyone ever cut their own rulers? This quilt I am working on has poor piecing and I am trying to do cc's in all of the triangles but some of them are pretty large....I have divided up the really large angles with a loop in the middle so my arcs are smaller but still would love a longer ruler with a smaller arc....any ideas?

Guest Linda S

Tracey Browning has a nice selection of economy rulers (I think the address is constantinequilts.com). She has some ovals and circles in a wide variety of sizes that may just give you the arc you're looking for. Before my M&M Wheels, I used to quilt with one of her ovals in my hand so I could get smooth curves when I really needed them. Now I can do that without much effort.

If you want to use something now... don't want to wait, What you can do is (this is from Linda Rech) she uses the lip of a plastic coffee can, or perhaps a tuna can or something round (and the edge is not too thin so the hopping will not pop up on top of the lid. Try something thick at least 1/4 inch thick). Try a plastic tupperware lid, or flat plastic bowl or plastic something round. She has used these with success. Be creative. Be careful. Go SLOW! You can do it!

I love Tracey's rulers. Bought mine at a longarm guild "garage sale" cause they work for all kind of cc.

If you have circle or oval rulers you can use those, my ex dh cut some straight edge rulers for me using a plexiglass blade on his table saw and they worked great. Used some thick plexiglass from a scrap bin at a local plastics plant.

I use sheets of plexi from there to audition designs on quilts. My grandkids also like to draw on them with white borad markers.

Hi,

TAP Plastics, which is a chain, cuts plexiglass. You bring them the template and they will cut it. A small arc should be under $5.00. They also have pre-cut circles, I just bought three sizes. I marked a 1/4 inch with a permanent marker so I can do continuous curves. Remember to buy the right thickness for you machine.

Good luck,

Melora

Archived