How many Computer Quilters do we have?

Grammie

Just curious how many of us are Compuquilting. I have the CQ and love it. Even though I do alot of Freehand I still love the Compuquilter.

Just curious about how many of you enjoy your Computer System or are hoping to have one some day for your Quilting Business and or Pleasure.

Not alot of talk when it comes to Computer quilting. I use mine everyday all the time. There are so many things I can do with it that I cannot do freehand in the same amount of time.

I would love to see what you are doing creatively with you computer system CQ or otherwise. I usually want to post my pics but I want to see more from others too.

Am I the only one Having all this FUN with my CQ ?

Grammie.. I love my Compu Quilter.. HOwever Jim Caldenberg had to come by today to fix mine. He thought it has some problem with static....What else could it be.? He told me to work with it for a few days and if it acts up again to call him and he will bring a circuit breaker and replace the one that is in there. Who would know? Not Me...

I have the first CQ installed on a Millie in the US. Sue Morris in Australia got hers at about the same time. I love it, but haven't been playing as much as I should as I own another business which, unfortunately for my quilting time, has picked up and kept me quite busy.:(

I love my CQ. I created my first quick motif while Jim was installing it. The next week I designed Winnie, Piglet and Tiger to quilt on a bear paw quilt that I pieced with my office quilt group. What fun it was to put some drawing creativity onto a quilt. The backing was a pooh print (thus the theme). We donate our quilts to charity.

I have been Comp Quilting for over a year now and have done over 150 quilts using different designs. I have learned a lot over the year and I know that I will learn more as time goes on. I know I haven't even begun to use everything that CQ is qualified to do. I have been so busy I haven't had time to play around. The one quilt that I did do that was awesome was a silk quilt. It sewed like butter. I used a swirl design on it, using a CD. Once in awhile people watch and make the comment that I am cheating by using the computer, but there is more to running CQ than turning it on. I like CQ for the quality of the finished product and the fact that I can be doing something else while the CQ is doing its' work.

Deb you did a great job. I miss you. I hope everything is well with you and family.

I am in Houston now but back home this weekend. Give me a call when you can.

Can't wait to see more of your creations. I knew you'd jump in and just do it with your computer knowledge.

I know there is much more to come.

Darlene, Your are right Deb is very creative!!!!!! We have just seen the beginning of Deb I think.

Hugs at ya,

Tammie

Does it require alot of time? Good question.

I was doing a CQ quilt as soon as the Rep left my home. So I guess time is an individual thing.

Load a queen practice size piece and practice trying sizes and the different features. Before long what you do will become second nature. Yes you will boo boo and get mad but generally my problems were a result of operator error.

It will take some time to learn. Once you understand it and that depends on you and how quickly you are with computers but I say it is easy.

Digitizing is not an overnight thing. Again this is determined by the knowledge you already have and your comfort zone.

I say if you are the type of person who thursts knowledge and a sponge with desire to learn you will go quickly and let me tell you once you start CQ'ing your clients (if you quilt for others) is going to grow quickly. They love these perfect designs. I know mine do.

Maybe there is someone close to you who can show you their system or a rep near you. I love my CQ.

Grammie using Manda Id

Grammie

Originally posted by Evelyn Dobbins

Ladies, Being honest here! Since I got my Milli I find I miss piecing. If I buy a CQ will it free up some time for piecing? I know it would be fun to have, but does it require a lot of time? Hopeful, Evelyn

Hi Evelyn,

If you're doing a block insert, no you won't have time to sit down and piece. The computer will tell you how long it will take to quilt the block; probably about 30 seconds. Some of the small ones I did were 7 seconds!

BUT, if you're quilting a pantograph, you will absolutely have some time to sit and piece. Some of the intricate designs can take quite a while to stitch out. I think you can get a lot of piecing done in 10-30 minutes segments! :) Of course, you'll find out on the first row if you'll need to stop and put in a full bobbin part way. I haven't had to do that, but I think on a large quilt with a deep, intricate pattern, that could be a possibility.

Darlene, I tried drawing polylines with my digitizer tablet, but couldn't get used to the pen fast enough. So I ended up drawing Winnie design with the ol' fashioned mouse. These are all connected multi-segment polylines. I really didn't think it would turn out, but it did. The hardest part was figuring out how to get the beginning at 0.0 and end point to end at the right spot so that I had a repeat pattern.I hope I can remember I how finally did that. IT was very time-consuming and required a lot of thinking...then it turned out to be so simple. The ah, ha factor!! The pattern isn't perfect, but was rewarding to have it quilt multiple repeats across the quilt. Also, when I make more patterns, I need to make sure the design fills evenly. As you'll notice, there is a lot of space above piglet between Winnie and Tiger's tail. This wasn't the best design to have for an evenly quilted top. I had to go back with vines that I freehanded and used small hearts as leaves.

Archived