Dahlia quilt

I have a large Dahlia quilt that I need to quilt. Does anyone have any pics of what they've done or any ideas? I'm having trouble remembering how to post photos, and my computer guru is not here to help me. The quilt is about 80 x 80 inches and the flower is actually burgandy batik that looks more like a blended fabric. I want to show some definition to the individual petals since the fabric looks almost the same throughout.. Also need ideas for the large empty background in the corners.

Debbie,

I'm so glad you asked about a dahlia quilt, as my future daughter-in-law has asked me to make one as a backdrop for photos of their wedding late next summer or early fall. And I've never made one of these. She sent me paint chips for the fabric colors she likes, which I really appreciated. A friend sent me a pattern but think I may need actual templates instead of an old pattern that has been copied from a magazine about 20 years ago. A photo I saw recently had feathers in each curved arc with feathers in the background as well, though I couldn't tell exactly what the background feathers were like, probably a meandering vine marked ahead of time so I don't run into empty spaces. I like quilting feathers so breathed a sigh of relief here.

Sharon G

Sharon,

I did see one dahlia quilt on the web that had feathers radiating out from the center, but was wanting some ideas for something in each petal because the fabric is pretty much the same throughout the flower, except for a lighter batik in the second row. I will probably do some sort of feather design in the background. A member of my guild pieced this, and if you want, I can try to find out the pattern she used. Hopefully I'll be able to post a pic of the top soon.

I just finished quilting a customer's hand pieced dahlia quilt (if you can tell it's very old fabrics from the 70s and 80s? she had this UFO sitting in the closet for at least 15 years...finally finished it) and it was so fun to quilt!

Not many stops and starts. It was continuous for most of it, so it didn't take very long to quilt. I did CCs in the petals and it went fast. CCs in the outer border and big freehand feathers in the corners.

post--13461906819922_thumb.jpg

Wow, what beautiful colors and awesome quilting accents! But really "very old from the 70's and 80's" when I graduated high school in '64? Guess I better make that disclaimer about sarcasm that I posted about in the "Big Brother is Watching thread. " Just joking don't anyone be offended."

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by sharni

........ "very old from the 70's and 80's"

LOL! What I meant by that remark (old) was "before" when you cut with scissors, had only calico prints, we didn't have rotary cutters, and all of these beautiful designer fabrics in the quilt shops. :)

YEAH, YEAH..........try to talk your way out of it now.........haha I must be darn near antique then since I am from the late 40s..............:P:P:P:P:P:P

JUST KIDDING YOU !!!!

Archived