Commissioned tee shirt quilt - pricing question

I was asked to make 5 tee shirt quilts for 2 sisters. Both of their husbands died within this past year and they want lap quilts for themselves and family members, so a total of 5.

I am working on the plans for the first one. I'm doing one at a time, as they keep changing their minds and jump from one quilt to another in the same sentence, and I'm afraid I may get something wrong, therefore 1 at a time. I was there for 2.5 hours for our first meeting because they had family members there to give suggestions and they all did!

The first quilt is to have 5 tee shirts that they want cut to 15.5 inches. I have designed it like a giant 9 patch using the 5 tee shirts in the 4 corners and the center. The 4 alternate squares they do not want pieced - just fabric squares. No sashing because sashing is very ugly (!!!) and a wide border -wider at the top and bottom to made it rectangular, rather than square. This woman has been to several fabric shops looking for Phillies fabrics, but did not see or like anything yet. I'm not sure if it will be in the blocks or the border.

I originally told her that I couldn't quote her a price until I had a better idea of what she wants, so I'm still open for suggestions on the pricing. I did mention that often (but there are individual circumstances that I take into consideration) I charge $25 per block which would include everything. So, with that statement, this quilt would cost $225. That may seem to be alot, but when I figured the cost of the fabric,the stabilizer for the shirts, thread, and batting, figured in my gas mileage, and my "administrative" time and the actual time to sew and quilt, it doesn't seem to be too much.

I have already spent 2.5 hours at her house, a total of 11 e-mails, designing it on EQ7 and printing it out in color, and she wants to meet again in a week to discuss my EQ7 designs and make some adjustments. So far I have about 6 hours into the first quilt, but haven't actually started it yet.

So...how much do you charge for this type of service? If she buys the fabric (I gave her the yardage for the EQ7 design), I would need to deduct that from her charge.

Why do I frequently get these PITA quilts to do??? And now I have 5 of them to do! Whine, whine.

Hi Sandra!

Pleasepleaseplease tell this "group with lots of opinions" that you are charging $20 an hour for consultations! That will pare down the marathon sessions. Sheesh! Nothing like designing by committee!

Have someone in the group be the leader and have them decide which shirts go in the next one, how big they want it, and color choices for the fabric. After the first one they will have a handle on the process and can do lots of the deciding before you come for the consultation. Tell them the first consult was "free" (hide it in the fee) but the next ones will be hourly.

This is a time gobbler and you need to charge for every minute you are away from your machine.

As an aside, the recently posted Breast Cancer quilt was a great design, used only a few shirts, and was beautiful! I have saved that for future reference.

Hi Sylvia, Thanks for the input. I would love to be able to buy the fabric, but they have specific thoughts about the fabric and I would never guess what is in their heads. I will buy the batting, but they have already picked out what they want from my Quilter's Dream samples. Thread - I always use my own thread - no options, other than color choice.

I am going to mail the new printout from EQ7 to them tomorrow. I am going to try to e-mail and US mail things, rather than drive there and get caught up in their conversations. $450 for 16 tee-shirts is $28.13 a shirt, so my $25 a shirt isn't too far off. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Hi Linda, I like that idea of charging for future consultations! Perfect!!! I saw the breast cancer quilt, and will go back and take a closer look. I thought it was lovely, but will look at the actual design.

I just looked at the breast cancer quilt again. I really like it! But, my "committee" thinks sashing is ugly, so that is not going to work, although I prefer sashing on tee shirt quilts.

Isn't it odd what some people get in their heads???? Sashing, ugly??? In most cases a sashing really sets off a block and adds to the quilt, especially t-shirt quilts. Maybe they have only seen ugly quilts ! haha Can you show them some pics of quilts with sashing so they know what a "good" job looks like?

Good luck............sounds like a nightmare job for ONE quilt and you have FIVE of them? Hopefully, after the first one is completed and they are happy with it, the next 4 will go smoother. Aggravating when they keep changing their minds, too. You don't dare even start on it until you have them sign off on your design plan, etc.

Sandra you should definitely be charging for consultation and design time. That consultation charge should include your travel and materials costs as well as time with the client(s). It sounds like you should add a 'PITA' charge for having to deal with more than 1 person!

I charge $25 per hour and have occasionally discounted it a little if I finally get to make the quilt but would charge it in full if they decided no to go ahead. Any designs are not theirs to take away and use until they have paid your design fee. I invoice this separately from either making or quilting a quilt.

Linda...I think the same as you. Sashing usually enhances the often drab tee shirt and adds interest to the quilt. I e-mailed them pictures of tee-shirt quilts that I have done, either from scratch or just the quilting for customers, and they couldn't understand why people would do that (add sashing).

I will need to have them sign off on the designs. These ladies are friends of a friend of mine. They met at grief counciling classes and because they live nearby, became buddies. Because of this link, I am treading carefully. I'm sure my friend had no idea how this would progress, but I also need to cover my butt.

Anne - I say I will charge $20 an hour, but I never really do...however, that said, I need to start doing it. People have told me that $20 was outrageous, but someone on here recently said we should make more (considering the cost of our equipment and our training, etc) than a "check out chick." I keep repeating that to myself. :P

Catherine - Thanks for the pep talk. For now I'll stick to the $20 per hour because that's what I advertise, but at least that is better than what I usually make. Maybe I'll be able to raise prices when our economy improves. These responses are giving me the courage to "stick to my guns" instead of bending when they balk about the price.

I charge $25 per t-shirt with a $100 material fee. I provide the sashing, backing and boarder fabric and the batting. This is only for a basic T-Shirt quilt. If a customer wants something that incorporates pieced blocks I charge extra. No one has ever complained about the price. I insist on choosing the fabrics although I do ask for what colors they prefer or if their was a special sport or team represented in the shirts. I usually hold everything a week before I cut anything up. Twice I had customers who called me repeatedly over the week and kept changing their minds. I asked them to come get the shirts they left with me. I felt like even if I made the quilt the way they requested they would not be happy because their 'mental picture' would have changed.

Hope this helps.

Dana

What I should have said and didn't is that I don't give them lots and lots of choices. I show them pics of what I have done and ask them if there is one special shirt they want near the middle. Usually they don't. If they want all baseball fabric I tell them that is an additional $40 charge. I has asked several ladies if they wanted to go elsewhere that it wouldn't hurt my feeling but they never do. I guess I specialize in T-shirt quilts as I do more of these than any other quilting. (about fabric - you never know what they are likely bring you and it is just not worth it to me.)

And....when they bring their t-shirts they spend about 30 minutes and don't come back until it is ready. If they stay more than 30 minutes I don't want to really hear anymore. The last sweet sweet lady told me to do 3 for her in less than 30 minutes. I love her.:D

Sandra,

I don't think you're overcharging and I wouldn't give any money back if they buy their own fabric. That way they'll realize just how much material is. I love Linda's suggestion about the consultations. I would explain how much it would add to the quilt, but the first is free. Tell them they need to get together and decide what they want for the second one without you.

I had a lady call me to make 4 t shirt lap quilts with pictures of her husband added everywhere. When I explained how much all the material would cost to transfer photos etc. she decided she didn't want me to do them. I didn't care because my time was more important.

Love your advise, Sylvia. I am really making notes and will work out the best strategy I can before I meet her/them again. At least I feel much more confident about charging them properly for my services.

Thanks, Libby. My time is important to me, too, and I am finding it hard to deal with these people. I'm really trying to take a "progfessional" stand on my pricing and what my time is worth.

I won't touch a t-shirt quilt for less then $500.00. They are not the easiest quilts to do. I don't let the customer provide anything but the t-shirts. If you leave material and batting up to the customer you'll get fairfield poly from the local craft store and fabric from Wal-mart or Hancocks. All brings one thought to me "yikes".

Wow, I love the consultation fee idea!!! I have a contractor come by to discuss adding on to my house. He said that they charged 1,000.00 for the sketch and 2nd consultation before talking "build". The discussion does take hours sometimes, maybe we should charge a flat fee for design (especially if the customer decides not to "commission" the quilt.

Originally posted by sandradarlington

Linda - He is a man and believes in himself. I am a woman who always thinks I can't charge what I believe I am worth, because it might offend someone. Boy, do I need to take charge of my life!

Don't you also think that a lot of people think a MAN should get paid more just because he is the man and supposedly the breadwinner? Old school thinking, I know, but it still exists. Also people tend to think those of us who "sew" do it just for a hobby and don't expect actual payment for our work or least of all to make a living from it as many do.

I don't do a lot of quilting for others, but have recently changed my pricing methods. I have improved over the years and if they don't want to pay me, then they can pay someone else (much more). My friend only does meandering and charges flat fees for various sizes. Well, I have been expanding my quilting "repitoire" and decided to expand my fee schedule accordingly. I still go by the sq.inch even for just meandering, as there is a big difference in sizes other than "just a wallhanging" or "just a twin". I was cheating myself. I made the sq inch fees for just meandering come close to what my flat rate used to be, so I am still in their ballpark.

Don't know how many times I've been asked to "just whip up" a quilt to raffle by next weekend! I'm sure that's happened to all of us.........:(

Linda...I know exactly what you mean..."just whip one up." I was approached by a guy I work for to do just that for a silent auction at a charity event coming up soon. Huh??? He is donating a pair of tickets to a sporting event that were given to him by one of the vendors. The tickets will make much more than the quilt will. A friend donated a lap quilt to this event 4 or 5 years ago and the bids started at $50. To make it worse, nobody bid on it, so a worker at the event "bought" it for $25 and thought she was being generous. My friend had a fit and has not donated to any of these events again. I know that will be similar to what will happen if I "whip something up."

I am actually considering buying 2 pieces of fleece (at JoAnn's with my coupon, and quilting them together, but first, embroidering the name of the event and the year on the back/plain side., a "one of a kind" item. Cutting fringe at the edges and calling it a "quilt."

Sandra - we both live in a major metropolitan area and many times I have been told to "price accordingly". Well respected national quilters suggested to me at least $35/hour for NJ. I gasped and still do gasp at that rate. I charge about $20. Being nice and having a business do not have to compete, but it is a business first. You are not at her house because you are friends. You are a quilter she wants to hire or abuse. Sorry - had to say it.

Pricing is labor plus materials. Plus tax, of course.

I would not give a sketch of anything with out a 50% deposit in hand. Otherwise, you just gave away your quilt.

I would not accept their material or supplies without the caveat that I will try to use it but it may not work.

Estimate your best, but tell them "if problems come up, wich they sometimes do on projects like these, it may be more...I'll keep you posted." Be honest. Be upfront. It is going to be a lot of work - tell them exactly that. Charge a fair wage by the hour. Add the materials and supplies as a seperate charge. Personally, I think that is the most honest and fair way for you both.

This will make you the pro you are!!

Good luck, keep us posted.

Archived