fair ribbon quilt

Lynne: I've never made one, but do to the nature of those ribbons, what about a simple block quilt with the blocks oversized to accomodate the ribbon and just tack them at the top of the ribbon to the block after the quilt is made. It will never be laundered anyway, and that way you can add some color and personality to it. I suppose a lot would depend on how many and if any are rosettes. Good luck. We want to see pictures when it's done :-)

I did one of those! Let me tell you what I wouldn't do again. I used fusible web On the backs of the ribbons and fused them to a white background. I think it was steam a seam. The fusible made it entirely too gummy to sew. I kept breaking needles and had to change them every so often because they kept gunking up. I also used sewers aid on the needle to try to make it sew more before I had to change it. That didn't work either. Not sure I have a pic to show you. I just used the flat part of the ribbons. I used photos on fabric and then crazy quilted the ribbons around and inbetween the pictures by freehanding a zigzag around the edges of the ribbons sort of like a stipple but catching the edges too. When all was done it really was a nice idea. If I had to do another one, I would use steam a seam light and not put batting in between the layers.

One of my elderly neighbors made a wall hanging from all of her "county fair" ribbons. She edgestitched them together along the sides onto a muslin background. If I remember correctly, she layered them starting at the top and going down. All of her ribbons had the upside down "v" shaped top and were pinked along the bottom edge. The top of one ribbon slightly covered the bottom of the ribbon above it. I don't have a picture as she passed away several years ago, but she was very proud of her ribbons and showed off her wall hanging quite often. I don't remember that it was quilted, but the sides of the muslin backer were turned under and hand stitched and she had a small sleeve with a dowel rod for hanging. Hope this helps.

I like the idea of making a base quilt with loops or something similar on which the ribbons can be hung keeping them removable. Just so long as you make sure the batting is firm enough so the quilt doesn't sag ie 2 layers of cotton batting layered in opposite directions. I don't choose to use W & N as I don't like the way it drapes on a bed quilt but I think this is an application where it would be useful. I would lay 1 layer North - South and the other layer over it East - West to counter any possible stretch. Clear as mud?

Do post whatever you finally choose to do and good luck!

I was at a quilt show (in Iowa, I think) about two years ago that had a full sized ribbon quilt displayed. The ribbons were sewn in block arrangement (about a 10-12 inch block covered with the ribbons) then the blocks were put together, I think with black sashing. I know I took a picture of it, but didn't find it on this computer. I'll see if I can find it. It really was a nice looking piece of work.

Instead of using fusible on those ribbons, can you spray baste them to hold in place while you stitch them? I don't see making a quilt to just hang them on being very effective in the long term of preserving the ribbons--in my house they would probably not stay on the loops and be lost over the years.

found the pictures:

post--13461906928979_thumb.jpg

That's kind of what I had in mind. She told me this weekend that it would only be purple ribbons because they didn't want to display any other kind. Told her it would be more interesting with more color. "Well maybe light purple and dark purple" She will give me the other colors to practice with "but there aren't very many". I guess it is good that they only win, but it doesn't make a very interesting quilt!

Sylvia - I had to go back and actually READ step 4 after your post.... very funny!! :cool:

Madolyn - that quilt is very nice too!! And I think it would be great in all purples, but then again - it's my favorite color! Especially with the Black for sashing - awesome!

Better yet, just RUN!

One of my gf's...a horse person, wanted me to do her ribbons into a quilt, too. I said, "Not in this lifetime!" and haven't looked back! There are not enough hours in the day for me to want to ever do that! :P

(She did get a quilt for her wedding...but it wasn't ribbons!)

s

(we have a long history of me doing those kinds of things, slaving away over the sewing mach while she's having fun. Show shirts, Halloween costumes, etc. Eventually, I learned to say no! lol!)

Archived