UPDATE!!! ARGH! Not a batik fan!!!!

Ok, so that's not totally true, I love batiks for their wide range of colors. What I don't like very much is that they don't quilt well in my machine!

I need help! The quilt is batik top and bottom. It's beautiflul! Here's what's happening:

I'm getting about 6 perfect stitches and then long gaps, then maybe more nice stitches.

Here's what I've tried:

Loosened my quilt sandwich, tried Omni, Permacore, Maxi lock, Toldilock, all on top, am using So Fine in the bobbin - haven't changed that... I've changed needles. I'm using a 4.0. I've sprayed with silicone spray. I've stood on my head and prayed, I'm mortified! This is a customer quilt and I have two more to get finished for her by next Weds.

Anyone have an idea? Anyone?

post--13461906936166_thumb.jpg

Bobbi,

Sometimes when that happens to me, I increase the stitch length setting to 11-15. I think with smaller stitches, the rotary hook is better able to catch the thread. I'm also wondering if the batting is thin; between two sheets of thin batik and thin batting, the machine/stitch regulator may not be able to sense the presence of the quilt sandwich. Going slower will help, too. Let us know how it is going. The quilt looks beautiful!

Bobbi,

I recently did a pieced batik top and batik pieced back. I used Omni and lava on top and so-fine in bobbin. I was having problems because of so many seams front and back. I changed to a number 5 needle. I know that is big, but it worked. I think my stitch length was about 10. The batting was very thin. JoAnn special:( I was pleasantly surprised how well it turned out. Good luck. Hope you find what works.

Peggy

I usually discourage my customers to use batik for backing, and if they want to, I ask that that pre wash and press the baking. I do quilt a lot of batik quilts with no problem. I use filtec and magna glide.

I use 4.0 needle and have to change needles more frequently than regular fabrics. I was told that Cotton quilting threads works better also.

Corey

Thanks to all of you for your help! I can't find my 3.5 needles so now I have to wait till I go to Zanesville next week. I don't have zippers so I'm not taking it off the machine it'll just have to wait.

I have an Ultimate 1, without a SR, so I can try a slower speed with slower movements. I wanted to an all over feather with feathers in the "border" triangles. It does have Quilters Dream cotton batting - she provided. I don't think she washed the fabrics as they seem "hard"(?). Ah well, Thanks again! I'll show pics when I'm done...

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD NEWS! The "5's" have it!!!

I purchased some size 5 Groz-Beckart (130/21) needles at A Touch of Thread in Zanesville and they're working!!!!

I'm doing an all over feather meander and not one skipped stitch. AND my stitches look fabulous! (That's kinda hard sometimes as my Ultimate 1 does not have a stitch regulator - well it kinda does - ME!)

I'm thrilled with how it's coming out! One more day and it'll be done!!! YAY!

Thanks for all your help! I did purchase one pack of every size they had! I want to be prepared!

Archived