OT: Pavers or Pretty Cement??

Hi All.

Since this list is my go-to list for answers, I hope you do not mind a way-off topic question!

We are finally getting a walkway for our home. We are in the country and pretty casual but it is time for a real path. Maybe pavers or some kind of stone product, or the new embossed/colored cement.

We are concerned about the cement cracking over time due to our extreme hot and cold weather here in northern NJ. The sun will beat on it all day, so if it is dyed it may fade.

Any experience or suggestions??? Thanks!!

I would go with the cement option. The ones doing the cement work should know what is needed in the cement to minimize the cracking. My concern with the pavers is the ease of grass and weeds growing up through the cracks with the humidity and heat that you have there, possibly would make it harder to mow too.

In my hot/cold climate of MN cement does quite well, the frost would make pavers heave more here.

I have the opposite opinion, I have thought about a patio under my deck where my quilting studio walks out of the basement and have a cement slab that has cracked with settling. I think if I could do it over, I'd do pavers with gravel between them. A little roundup sprayed on the weeds should keep them in check.

Lisa,

I live in West MI. Five years ago or so, I put in a paver sidewalk. I certainly like the "warmer" look -- better than cement. If done properly, there should not be much shifting. However, you may have to brush in some additional sand after several years. (Just added some to my pavers this year.)

Can't speak to cement much yet. Just did my driveway this year in cement. 2011-12 will be the first winter. Expansion joints were put in. Certainly like it better than asphalt. Although, getting used to seeing the white/lt grey rather than black--now there's a contrast ! Hoping all goes well there.

Good luck in your decision.

Lynn

aka Quiltmummo

Concrete is my choice, if you hire it out have them put in a few extra expansion joints. Yes it will probably crack over time. It has taken 20 years for mine to crack and we do our own.

Have pavers at the other house, they were put in tight and correctly, have had to treat for ant hills constantly, weeds, etc. I have found them higher maintenance.

If you get snow and shovel the walk will the pavers catch the edge of the shovel. Cement in Wyoming Snow Shoveling easy, Pavers in Mesquite. Both get bugs and weeds in expansion joints.

Whereas my Uncle also lives in snow country and is a cement mixing fool and he is now using pavers instead of cement.

When we redo the sons house, I think we will do pavers where the water lines for the sprinkler system and electrical lines, sewar, gas lines etc run and cement elsewhere in a nice arrangement. Will save the cement from cracking and easier to make repairs.

It all depends. It s a personal preference.

Archived